• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Possible lawsuit against Scarab/Glastron/RBH

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All,

The time has come to get all of us together, and start a collective thread for issues concerning, and about Scarab's unwillingness to hold up their end of the agreement with their customers. In this thread we need the following information:

Name:
CBR Email:
Boat year and model:
Issue or experience with you boat or dealer. Was it resolved? If yes how long did it take, If no add details.

Please limit this thread to this information alone. One post block per person!!!!!

Here is the link to the discussion thread:

https://jetboaters.net/threads/possible-lawsuit-against-scarab-glastron-rbh-discussion-thread.14256/

Last edited:

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Name: Joseph Sternisha
CBR Email: joseph.sternisha@outlook.com
Boat year and model: 2014 195HOI
Issue or experience with you boat or dealer. Was it resolved? If yes how long did it take, If no add details:
4 hours- locking nut on the impeller came loose, returned to dealer in MD which took two weeks to fix (3.5 hour drive one-way)
14 hours- problem at 4 hours cause the driveshaft to be pushed into the main bearing and the motor took a crap (boat was at the dealer for over four months, than goodness it was over the winter..) Motor, supercharger, drive assembly replaced.
26 hours (new motor) carbon seal failed due to a misalignment from the previous dealer's mechanic who didn't know what he was doing. MM Pensacola fixed the issue back on the water (at MM for about four weeks)
30 hours (new motor) the thermostat housing fails; MM Pensacola fixed the boat and I am back on the water.. (boat at MM for about three weeks)
40 hours a rubber strap on the resonator broke and caused the hose that was connected in a through-hull position to come off which almost sunk the boat.

Last edited:

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Name: Miguel Rodriguez
CBR Email: ghost350z@hotmail.com
Issue/Experience:

Before purchase: Windsheild busted apart on delivery date. Basically exploded due to heat. Took 2 weeks more for delivery. - Marine Max

-8 hours: Head unit stopped working. Completely corroded (silver unit). Replaced to a true marine Sony. Took to dealer and Scarab refunded the money for new unit. - Marine Max
-12 Hours: Trailer brake failure. Recall completed. - 1 Week downtime - Marine Max
-26 Hours: Maintenance completed, but dealer in Jacksonville cannot clear codes. Had to use Candoo Pro to reset or wait till they have a working BUDS computer.
-32 hours: Amps have bad static, no longer working. Replaced with JL Audio 600/6. (Past 1 year hull/electrical warranty)
-44 hours: Boat speaker wiring completely corroded. Re-wired stereo, amps, and speakers with proper 12guage marine wire. Moved amp to the rear port side.
-82 hours: Carbon seal failure. Possible shaft alignment. Marine Max no longer supports and is unwilling to perform warranty work. Nearest dealer is in St.Augustine, advised that it will be 13 weeks before they can get to it. Next nearest dealer is 6 1/2 hours away. Seadoo dealers are unwilling to work on the boat. And Scarab has advised if I complete the work myself, theat it will void the warranty. Also referred to BRP for problem solution.

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Name: Robert Sands
CBR Email: r.sands@live.com
Boat year and model: 2015 195HOI

The following is an estimate of the hours, a I haven't completely logged them with the issues but have a general idea.

-5 hours: The Sony stereo usually has a blue backlit face, but there are random occasions where it turns red and for a split second flashes a warning message we're not fast enough to read.
-5 hours: The post screws on the Bimini top backed themselves out under hard winds with the Bimini top open. I guess from the rattling the wind was causing, but honestly they really aren't in there that well.
-10 hours: an engine light turned on, no idea yet, will update you later on after I get the details from the service people in two weeks. (Update: spark plugs blew out, only one plug was working).
-1 hours: A little bit of water in the passenger side locker area where the stereo hookups are.
-1 hours: If you stretch your front mooring cover tight there is a section cut out at the very tip of the bow so you can see the Scarab logo. This cutout section lets water into the boat during a rain.
-3 hours: The plexiglass on the instrument cluster is cracking from the middle top. I baby the boat, there's no need for that.
-1 hours: The seat anchors aren't the best quality, they sound like hell squeaking with a little bit of chop.
-1 hours: The latch to open the engine compartment under the seat sticks, the spring in it doesn't work that well to reset the latch. You have to manually reset it before it will lock.
-1 hours: The ski locker design doesn't allow about an inch of water to ever drain into the bilge.
-10 hours: cover stitching coming undone in various areas.
-15 hours: Snaps coming out of the hull.
-43 hours: This is a current issue and has yet to be resolved, right now this is my speculation based on my understanding of the boat. Catastrophic failure of what I think is the carbon seal, water coming in much too fast for the bilge, hand pump bailer, and 6 other people bailing with large bags and tool boxes. Water up to peoples shins on the deck. Engine shut off stranding the boat on the lake. No ctow available, or cost guard able to make it to the boat in the time it would take to save us. Marina folks were the only people available and towed us to shore to beach the boat as bailing wouldn't work, only prolonged our ability to float. The original plan was to go to the Toronto Islands from Bluffers Park, and the route we plan for that takes us a few kilometers out. On this day everyone got a late start and stayed close to our marina instead, but if the original plan was pushed through everyone could have been in serious trouble with 7 people floundering in frigid water. If I didn't keep a VHF radio on board, I don't even know what would have happened. I'm taking the boat in to the shop as soon as I can to get it diagnosed properly.

ScarabHO

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Ill be finding my work order for my 2015 HO Impulse to post here, had many problems, and now I'm fearing the carbon ring failure coming up on 35 hours.

a4effort

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Name: Blaine Schena
CBR Email: bschena@embarqmail.com
Boat year and model: 2015 Scarab 215
Issue-

30 hours- check engine light on starboard side motor. Code indicates bad o2 sensor. Dealer says it's a common non issue, at next service it can be reset. I replaced the o2 sensor myself.

80 hours- docking mode stuck on. Shut down boat and cycle battery switch. Docking mode intermittent working. Windshield continues to shift. Sometimes it will close in the center. Other times the metal frame hits and it won't. Port side bow speaker stopped working. Trailer is disintegrating from the salt water. Replaced both sides hub/disc and bearing assemblies plus pads.

117 hours - maintenance light comes on port side motor. Called scheduled with dealer for service and inspection. Dealer replaced impeller boot seal, jet pump seal and circlip.
Dealer says impeller boot seal damaged from the outside, not covered under warranty. Jet pump seal and circlip covered under warranty. Dealer has boat for 3 weeks. Upon pick up, bill for motor maintenance (plugs oil/filter for both) replace motor cover latch and complete 100 hour inspection of boat $891.23

krock

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Name: Keith Roscoe
CBR Email: krock205@gmail.com
Boat year and model: 2017 Scarab 255 HOI
Issue-

2.5 hours- While waiting to put boat back on tralier after initial voyage of 2 hours, Boat stsarted to throw codes. Boat began to smell of antifreeze and steam came from port engine.
3.5 hours- issue with water entering boat from port side when launching from trailer! Port engine ran erratically then died!
11/8/17- I have talked to my dealership ( 4.5 hrs away) and I will be taking it in soon for inspection.

Sean Scarab 195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Name: Sean Higbee
email: seanhigbee@gmail.com
2015 Scarab 195
Long Beach, CA
Issue 1: Sucked up rope, broke carbon seal. 30 miles off shore, towed back and nearly swamped the boat. Required $13k in repairs including new engine.
Issue 2: Sucked up rope, broke carbon seal. $4k in water damage.
Other issues as well.

Please fill me on on what's going on.

Derenzy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
i'm close to buying a 2014 195 HO from a large dealership - should I stay clear ? :(

krock

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Looks like you already bought the boat....I hope you got some kind of warranty!

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If the dealer has a savvy BRP Tech you should be fine.. MM and some other big dealers don't have the experience with Rotax.

Derenzy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Looks like you already bought the boat....I hope you got some kind of warranty!
I haven't bought it yet, I just posted that an hour ago.

did you get a good warranty on your boat? you have the same model discussed here....

Derenzy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
If the dealer has a savvy BRP Tech you should be fine.. MM and some other big dealers don't have the experience with Rotax.
hmm....they are a certified scarab dealer, but they are also 1.5 hours from me.

was hoping one of the marinas in town (4 large ones) would service it IF needed - but they don't sell scarabs

krock

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
My boat was brand new when I bought it! I didn't buy the extended warranty because I didn't think I needed it! I will see what BRP says and I weill let the forum know what transpires! Trust and believe I will not be happy with anything less than a perfectly running and safe boat with no cost to me!

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
i'm close to buying a 2014 195 HO from a large dealership - should I stay clear ? :(
My 2-cents: Don't let the "I REALLY want it, and it's a great deal, and it's such a pretty boat!" outweigh the elephant in the room.

I'm not a "fanboy" of anything. I'm only as brand loyal as the piece of equipment I own that doesn't fail me. I love my Yamaha SX230. I'm not so enamored with the new ones (for my own reasons).

That said, based on what I've seen on this board, I'd take a Yamaha over a Scarab any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Yes, the "car crashes" get all the attention right? Probably lots of happy Scarab owners out there that we're not hearing from.

By that logic there are a lot MORE happy Yamaha owners out there because we hardly have any reports of major trouble - on a board that is dominated by Yamaha owners.

Add to that the fact that "well maintained" in the Scarab world means expensive rebuilds every so often. What is this? 1937 car engines? Come on. We should be at the point of "buy it and change the oil and it runs for 20 years." Every engine I've owned on any machine falls into that category - from outboards to snow throwers to lawn mowers. (I had one weed-eater that didn't pass that test. I scrapped it.) Why would I buy a boat that needs that much maintenance?

Like I said, it's just my opinion from my limited exposure to what's posted here, but there's no way I'd spend that kind of cash and bet my Summer Fun - let alone my family's safety - on a Scarab jet boat.

krock

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Biglar in some ways you are right...but I have owned two yamaha boats a 2005 ar 210 and a 2014 242 limited s both good boats but they too had some issues. If you read my posts u know what happened to my 2014....loved that boat but when it was all said and done yamaha skimped on the fit and finish. I had a very reliable and knowledgeable fiberglas guy look at my boat and he told me to never buy another Yamaha! The glass work was subpar in his estimation. Scarab has some issues and I hope they own up to them and find a fix soon or I will be filing a lawsuit and probably move on to a larger cabin cruiser!

jeffyp06

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Jeff Paduchowski
jeffyp06@gmail.com
2014 scarab 195 impulse
lake st clair Michigan

2014 - multiple issues first year between cleats, dashboard, windshield, wake tower, seats coming loose even after tightening multiple.
multiple issues with cracking along the deck of the boat. went back to service center to have everything loctited and cracks fixed.
2015 summer same issues, cracking, and nothing wanting to stay bolted down. windshield was getting so out of place I couldn't close the center window.
multiple cracks everywhere on the deck much worse, could not take the boat out 2 times without having to break the tools out and tighten everything
winter of 15 it went back to the manufacture for a whole new deck.
summer of 16 babyd the boat the whole summer, tried to get things fixed that went wrong (same issues) and scarab basically said they were done with me.

end story I traded in the boat to get away from it beginning of summer 17 and took a huge loss.
ironically the boat wouldn't even start when I traded it in but because it was under engine warranty still they took it anyway.

krock

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
WOW! Jeff! Mine is still in the shop, hoping to get it back soon. My boat hd two leaks, one when the exhaust hose came loose! The clamp wasn't tight! The other problem has to do with the overheating issue. More details once I get the boat back! Oh yeah, Brett at Scarab/Beneteau has been great to deal with. BRP is terrible in my estimation, very poor customer service!

russ chambers

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
All,

The time has come to get all of us together, and start a collective thread for issues concerning, and about Scarab's unwillingness to hold up their end of the agreement with their customers. In this thread we need the following information:

Name:
CBR Email:
Boat year and model:
Issue or experience with you boat or dealer. Was it resolved? If yes how long did it take, If no add details.

Please limit this thread to this information alone. One post block per person!!!!!

Here is the link to the discussion thread:

https://jetboaters.net/threads/possible-lawsuit-against-scarab-glastron-rbh-discussion-thread.14256/
Russ Chambers
195 HO impulse
2015 65 Engine hours
Russchambers@comcast.net

This will be 3rd summer. Lost two months last summer and right off the start this summer 8 weeks for Engine replacement

My Scarab 195 Ho impulse, 2015 65 hours It worked fine for the first MI summer. Than the second summer happened. 1) I was out in Lake Michigan when the pilots chair fell off. 500 bucks 2) out in Lake Lansing I lost thrust thought I suck something up but nothing in the intake. Limped back into the launch took it to the marina. They stayed it was a issue with the impeller 2,500 bucks later and lost 2 months of 2nt summer. 3) last week out in lake Lansing with family and Lost thrust again, this time the boat was filling up with water where the Driveshaft comes into the Engine compartment Faster than the bilge pump could pump out luckily there was one jatskier here in the Lake able to get us to lunch before we sink And the best part is, needs a new Engine and the marina is telling me two months if I’m lucky. So I’ve been paying on a boat loan all these year and I won’t be able to have are boat for most of this summer I am so mad and it seems The marina and scarab don’t even care.

Best
Russ