• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Possible tow vehicle purchase. (Revised)

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My wife and I are looking at possibly purchasing a 2016 Dodge Durango with the v6 for a part time tow vehicle for our '04 sx230. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this setup. It currently doesnt have the tow package, but I'll be making the necessary upgrades to bring it to the 6200# tow capacity.
Thanks for any input.

Nickp98

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SE
Boat Length
I have a 17' Durango R/T.. It tows my AR240 perfectly. Mine does have the V8 but the Durango itself feel very solid with my boat behind it. I would recommend the factory tow package if you could find one.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks @Nickp98 From what the dealership told me. All the tow package consists of is the hitch and wiring and an upgraded radiator. I think I could do all the upgrades for about $500. I'd probably add some kind of rear suspension levelling kit also. I guess I'm more curious about whether the v6 with the 8 speed tranny would have enough power for towing. Mind you, this would only be a part time tow vehicle. The truck would still be the primary tow vehicle.

Nickp98

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SE
Boat Length
IMO I think you would be fine. Your still comfortably under the max cap of the Durango with the V6. The V6 has plenty of power to move your boat around.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tow my ar190 with both a V6 and healthy V8 in similar sized GM vehicles.

If I have the choice I take the V8. The V6 does OK but not great. Lots and lots of revs to pull hills.

The 230 is a bit heavier as well.....I wouldn't do it with my V6 powered SUV.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you are looking to keep the car long term, I would suggest considering a transmission cooler. It will improve the life of the transmission.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you are looking to keep the car long term, I would suggest considering a transmission cooler. It will improve the life of the transmission.
The upgraded radiator has a larger tranny cooler, but I would probably look into an aftermarket external cooler.

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I tow my 2016 242 lse with my 2014 Durango v6 sometimes. It works fine but like my ram 1500 hemi for long tows. Towed it 4 hrs round trip with Durango and it did fine. Looking to get v8 Durango for next car for added hp.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@MrMoose towed his AR240 on the artic cycle with one, so he will probably chime in and give you some advice.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Pinhacker71, as @Betik sort of suggested, I towed my '15 AR240 from Houston to Ft. Lauderdale a couple times with my '12 Durango R/T 2wd. No problem pulling the boat at all. I would have purchased another Durango R/T, but I wanted something with more room for road trips, so I went with a '17 Nissan Armada, which although much larger than the Durango, the Armada got 4 mpg more while towing.
I really loved my R/T. People don't believe me when I tell them that it had original brakes when I sold it (just under 80K miles), but I have to admit that for the last year of ownership, I really babied the brakes because I didn't want the expense of replacing them just before selling it. The Mercedes platform of the Durango really makes a difference in my opinion.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
20170820_184014.jpg Well, we picked this beauty up Friday night. Not exactly ready to tow yet but upgrades will begin soon.

Barry

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I have been pulling my 05 SR230 with a 2014 V6 Durango Limited and have not had any issues going on 4 seasons now. We have similar boats and I took mine to a local scale finding it weighs 4,640 pounds all fueled up and ready for a day on the lake, which gives a decent margin from the 6,200 tow capacity. I have the factory tow package and haven't seen any issues. I watch the transmission and oil temps while towing and have found the transmission temps stays pretty much the same as compared to not towing the boat and the oil temp will occasionally go up when going up long hills but then comes down right away. Last year I towed it from outside Philly down to Lake Anna and had no issues. While there are obviously other vehicles that tow better, I have liked my Durango overall as our family vehicle and it does the job just fine in towing the boat. From the pictures it looks like we have the same color, I don't see too many blue Durango's out there for some reason.

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 62858 Well, we picked this beauty up Friday night. Not exactly ready to tow yet but upgrades will begin soon.
Make sure you get the factory hitch, factory tow harness and not an aftermarket. With the aftermarket you will be limited to the lower tow rating. Also, if i'm not mistaken, the larger radiator requires a different fan which might not be compatible with your current ECU.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We're having the radiator changed along with tweeking the computer. I'll check on the fan, thanks for the heads up.
Im definitely going to get a factory hitch and wiring harness.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Durango.jpg

Almost 4 years with my Durango R/T. Still love it, but wow the new Durango SRT looks pretty sweet.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm shopping for a new tow vehicle currently. You guys are making it hard to not pursue a Durango in my search. Trying to find a 2014 or newer with AWD, the R/T trim, center row bench, and sunroof is like finding a needle in haystack. Found a couple, but they are all over 250 miles away. Wife isn't enthused about travelling to get another vehicle (I imported my last one to southern IN from Winnipeg :D)

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
All I can say is that when we live in a world where Tahoes are over $60k, the Durango is a solid choice new or used!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Very nice Scott!!!! Is this a Segway to a camper?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man, my neighbors have been trying hard to talk us into a camper. several of them have lots they keep year round near the local lake. Both of them also have boats (24ft Pontoon, and Centurion 237) and spend a good portion of thier time on the lake during the day. I just can't wrap my head around setting up a second home site less than an hours drive from home. I'll just come home at that point, and the permanent mounting of the camper looses some of the fun of finding new places to "play".

In other news, I'm headed to look at this 2016 Durango tomorrow to replace my POSS......Aside from ditching the fender hash marks ASAP, any thoughts?!?!