• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Possibly Trading Up

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was at the NYC boat show last week and the wife is set on trading in our 2013 SX190 for a 2015 SX240. I spoke to the local rep and they are offering about $18,000 for our boat which is in like new condition with 28 hours. Just wondering if this sounds like a good offer?

I have found a few dealer sites sell them for $22,000 outside of NY. Obviously they will sell for more than they offer.

Thanks in advance,
Nick

That actually sounds like a pretty good offer. If you have a cover on yours you might try to get them to throw one in for the new boat. Don't forget you don't pay taxes on your trade so you would have to get $1500 or so more selling outright depending on your tax rate. If you do it you're going to love the 2015. I traded a 2013 242ls for a 2015 and the differences are unbelievable.

I assume you have a vehicle that can tow the bigger boat? You'll need something that can tow 6000lbs.

We traded up from an LX210 (19.5 foot boat) as it was just a little snug with 2 families on board (what we typically have)....so I don't blame you for looking at the 2015s.....if I was in your position and my wife was in agreement with the trade up...it wouldn't matter what the pricing was!!!! LOL Keep the wife happy!!!! GRIN

Agree with @Julian and @dancathy on both counts. It will be hard to get a trade anywhere close to what you could get for it outright. But you may get less than you ask for it outright, lose the trade difference on tax, may not sell right away, and have the hassle of showing and sea trials. If you can afford to place a value on your time and the hassle, trading is always easier...and certainly the fastest way to get the new boat in tow! I have a '12 SX240 and it is by far the best bang for the buck out of the whole Yamaha line. Of course, your going to get all the sound proofing/new articulating keel, connex system, and twin 1.8L's that will water your eyes at 50+mph and give you all the room and comfort a 24' boat can give. Enjoy!

To those lurking.....further evidence suggesting "Buy your second boat first!" IMO, I'd unload for the trade price and be done with the hassles of trying to sell. To me, it just ain't worth the few grand I might "make" by selling it myself.

To those lurking.....further evidence suggesting "Buy your second boat first!" IMO, I'd unload for the trade price and be done with the hassles of trying to sell. To me, it just ain't worth the few grand I might "make" by selling it myself.

You know us too well :D.

@Zeus2013 go for it quick, when the wife says its all good, it really is ALL GOOD :thumbsup:. Like you, I'm in the two foot eytus syndrome (five really ;)) I do have the go ahead for this November but I'm really impatient.

I assume you have a vehicle that can tow the bigger boat? You'll need something that can tow 6000lbs.

We traded up from an LX210 (19.5 foot boat) as it was just a little snug with 2 families on board (what we typically have)....so I don't blame you for looking at the 2015s.....if I was in your position and my wife was in agreement with the trade up...it wouldn't matter what the pricing was!!!! LOL Keep the wife happy!!!! GRIN
Oh, 2013 Expedition..no towing issues... THe wife complained that the SX190 was tough with two kids and the wake we had to deal with in our area. I told he the fix was a bigger boat plus a head compartment. She loved the boat at the show.

Agree with @Julian and @dancathy on both counts. It will be hard to get a trade anywhere close to what you could get for it outright. But you may get less than you ask for it outright, lose the trade difference on tax, may not sell right away, and have the hassle of showing and sea trials. If you can afford to place a value on your time and the hassle, trading is always easier...and certainly the fastest way to get the new boat in tow! I have a '12 SX240 and it is by far the best bang for the buck out of the whole Yamaha line. Of course, your going to get all the sound proofing/new articulating keel, connex system, and twin 1.8L's that will water your eyes at 50+mph and give you all the room and comfort a 24' boat can give. Enjoy!

Oh I am jumping at it. Just need to get the boat out of the yard, snowed in right now. The dealer wants the boat so he can get it listed ASAP...Now way I would sell myself. Nick

Thanks all. I was sure I wanted to go that direction, but it is always good to reach out for others thoughts that can see things from a different perspective.

Please make sure we get pictures of what your wife chooses.:)

Now I have to sell my new never used ratchet transom straps, brand new never used spare tires and mount, and bow filler,

Save one (or both) of your ratchets for the bow. Very nice to have when trailering. Cam.

You can probably keep and use everything except the bow filler cushion on the new boat. Do the new boats come with spares already? Are the new ratchets you have the type you mount? You should be able to use them on the new one as well. If not, can they be returned? Congrats on the upcoming new boat!

Back