• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Potential 2017/2018 AR190 owner - Advice needed

Michael-Nash

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm currently looking at buying a new AR190 this summer or at the end of the year. The boat would mainly be trailered and used on lakes around Nashville. Likely wouldn't have more than 6 people on board most weekends. I do have some concerns about the ride on choppy waters and the power/speed. I've owned outboards and jetskis over the past 20 years. Current boat is 22 ft deck boat with 175hp motor which I use for cruising and tubing. I'm not entirely sure a jet boat is for me so I'm also looking at a Bayliner VR5 and Chapparal 19 H2O sport. Looking to stay at or below $30k and get something that holds its value well.

Is the AR190 the boat for me? When buying new, were any of you able to get them to come off MSRP? What extras should I try to get thrown in? Hope to buy during boat show season in January. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are so many nice used 190's out there, I would definitely check that market first. A lot of people get into 190's and then decide they'd like a 21' or 24'. We bought our boat used, (and just barely at that) and saved over 28% off new!

We love our 190. Enough power to pull me up wakeboarding with some adults in the boat. No problems pulling tubes. After watching a YouTube video called the Yamaha Challenge or something, I learned to re-pack my boat so efficiently that we bring a full picnic setup with us on the lake to basecamp off a beach and hit the water light weight. We almost always have 4 adults and 4 kids. We've had as many as 4 adults, two teens and 4 small kids with us and still did fine.

Id say, try to meet up with an owner and see if you can get a ride and move around the boat underway to get a feel for the different space on board. Its a great boat, lots of space, great on gas, lots of fun, easy to tow and easy to store.

Last edited:

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I regularly bring 6 out in my AR192, but I would really love to have a 21-22ft boat even for that many. I can handle pretty heavy chop in my boat, but it's not hard to take water over the bow with more than one person sitting up there. I would worry about the 190 feeling anemic with 6 adults. It can be hard for my 192 to jump out of the water with 6 adults. I would say bring some friends for a test drive so you don't risk making an expensive mistake. I don't think jet propulsion has quite the same push as a propeller when weighted down, but the jet has a lot of advantages over the prop too.

Michael-Nash

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm pretty settled on a 19 footer due to garage storage. Most weekends it may only be 4 people on board. Judging from what I've seen Online, these seem to hold their value well. Most used AR190s are only a few thousand less than MSRP. Dealer just had a 16 AR192 go for $32k. I think I'd rather have the better MPG and range over the supercharger in the 195. I'm hoping to get a 2018 for $30k + 5yr warranty & cover. Anyone get their dealer to throw in any other extras?

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey Michael,

Not much help here on price as I'm up in Canada, but I just purchased a 2017 AR190 and here is my take on your questions.

Space + power
- we often have 4-5 adults on board pulling tube etc and it handles us just fine, it does take putting the hammer down to get on plane and I loose a few off the top end, but I'm not looking for to speed so much as comfortable cruising around 20-25 mph anyways.

I do notice that I loose speed if trying to rip through sharp turns, when I first got out I was a little concerned that I made the wrong call but I have since learned to manage my speed better and turn more efficiently so this is no longer a problem.

As for choppy water, we were out on a fairly large lake on Canada day, and though it was far from terrible, it was quite rough and I felt the boat handled it well, I would have no concerns if I got caught out in a bit of ugly weather, just get up on plane and hold on.

As for the best advice I can give.... yeah, I agree it would be nice to have a bigger boat and more power, but I am completely happy with my AR190. It fits well in my storage area, it easy to haul, very good on fuel, and easy to maintain (I like only having one engine to maintain). All in all I'm content with my boat. There are a few nice upgrades on the AR195, but I didn't want the supercharger, And will likely do my own upgrades anyways so it's not the end of the world.

I think either will make you happy, if you can hop on and ride one it would be well worth it, also don't be discouraged your first trip out wondering if you chose the right one, just enjoy your boat and have lots of fun! :D

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We had a 19ft'er previously......and have a 19ft'er now. Here's a few thoughts....

This '17 model boat handles the chop/waves MUCH better than our previous '98 model. Hull design is where it comes from, and Yamaha has it right for a comfortable ride. We handled "2ft rolling white caps" just fine in this boat. At times you can get a good smack from the front, but those are few and far between. Overall the boat handles well, and rides smooth and dry. Compared to our previous boat this one is significantly smoother.

Power.....We had a 135hp 4cyl in our last I/O boat. This one is a 180hp jet drive. Top speed is nearly identical between the two (42.5 is the best I've seen on either). Time to plane is very similar as well. The jet planes quickly, and the I/O planed quickly AFTER I added automatic adjusting trim tabs (google smart tabs, they're awesome). We've had 4 adults and 3 kids on ours already this year, and it still planed just fine, and pulled a tube just fine. Had 4 adults and 1 kid yesterday and it planed fine, tubed fine, and we did some wake sports as well. I never had to worry about moving people around into the bow to get it to plane, and never had to worry about having enough power to pull up the person on the end of the boat. It does take full throttle to plane, but you have to quickly pull back to maintain a reasonable speed for the skier once on plane.

Price/add-ins.......We bought brand new. Tax/Title/License, 3yr warranty, and the shipping cover for MSRP. The dealership was willing to give us 20% off any accessories we wanted, but was very frank with us and told us that the local Bass Pro was still less expensive. Same with the shipping cover. Yamaha tells them to destroy it and sell you a fancy mooring cover or something, and they think that's a waste, so they give them away with the boats. Our dealer moves a lot of boats, and typically doesn't have any remaining at the end of the year. Last year they sold all of their allotment and ordered some more in and sold those too. With the exception of a single 242 Limited S that they were willing to deal on to get it moved. Not much though as it was still only ~$5k off MSRP. SO far they've been great to work with, and if you're willing to make the drive to Nashville to Louisville, I'm sure Justin (the owner) would be willing to set you up with a test drive. Hell, if you're willing to make that drive I'll meet you on the river and you can drive mine to see if you like it.

Here is a post on why I chose the 190 over the 195. This post in particular outlines some of my thoughts. The entire thread is worth reading though if you're on the fence about a 190vs 195 post in the thread "19 footer questions" If you're on the fence about an I/O vs Jet, well there are tons of threads on that. Just be aware they do drive differently in most conditions. Coming off plane without thrust will be unnerving the first time you do it, as will the "instant rotation" they offer at idle speeds if not watching what you're doing. Thrust Vectors or Cobra Fins can help with that if it bugs you and keeps some of the other benefits of the jet. Maintenance is SIGNIFICANTLY less than that of an I/O. Winterization in your area is super easy with this boat, and maintenance is basically just an oil change and some grease points.

Feel free to PM me if you want a test drive on a 190. We're out most weekends, and can easily do a weeknight on the Ohio here in Louisville.

Michael-Nash

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all the advice. I'm supposed to go for a test drive with the dealer this weekend or next. Will probably have to test drive a SX190 since they sold their last AR190 recently. Since the dealer likely wont come much off MSRP if any, it seems the best thing to do would be to wait for the 2018s to come out. Dealer tells me then don't anticipate any significant changes but there will be bold new colors. Hopefully the MSRP will stay at $30k. I wish they would add a spot on the rear seat to step in the boat and avoid added wear on that cushion.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't think Yamaha has had their dealer meeting yet so anything they tell you about the 18's is probably purely speculation at this point. That said, since they made the engine upgrade last year for the 195 and the FSH just came out I think the year before last and since they all share the same hull, I doubt they will be changing the hull, so they are probably right.

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was going to link to that same kit.....it's on my wish list, but won't happen until the rear seat wears out or gets flat from all the stepping. With any luck that will be a few years out :D :D

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I ordered that same seat kit as I was tired of stepping on my cushion. I went with the SeaDek pad instead of the Hydroterf so that it will match the rest of my SeaDek. I'm hoping it will be ready for pickup when I visit JetBoatPilot's store next week during my beach vacation. Can't wait!!

John quinn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just bought an Ar195 paid 35,400 for it no extras dealer discounted boat a little bit. The 18 look good just the tower is painted on the red one only difference for 18.

Michael-Nash

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where'd you see info on the 18s?

John quinn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dealer sent me pics and info

Slfmde

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just bought an Ar195 paid 35,400 for it no extras dealer discounted boat a little bit. The 18 look good just the tower is painted on the red one only difference for 18.
Was that with the galvanized trailer and did it include all fees except taxes? My dealer offed it at 37.2k excluding taxes with galvanized trailer, coast guard and anchor kit.

John quinn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes that was a galvanized trailer. I live in Florida I payed 38,000. Out the door all fees and taxes.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
On a side note to this conversation. A small group of us met up on one of our area lake this weekend. Of the 8 Yamaha boats there, 4 were 19' hulls and all 4 were 192/195s. Just seemed weird...fun...but weird.

jryan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know this is an old thread, but curious if any of you were keeping your AR190 in your garage? I'm looking at buying an 2017 AR190 with the Shoreland'r Galvanized Trailer. I have a 7ft garage door opening.

Michael-Nash

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know this is an old thread, but curious if any of you were keeping your AR190 in your garage? I'm looking at buying an 2017 AR190 with the Shoreland'r Galvanized Trailer. I have a 7ft garage door opening.
Yeah, I'm keeping my 2019 AR190 in my single car garage. It's a tight fit going through the door so I push it in by hand. It's pretty easy after a few times.