• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Potential New Buyer

nf22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hello All. I appreciate all of the member input and experiences that I have found on this site relating to Yamaha Jet Boats. I currently own a 19.5 ft go fast boat that I had restored about 10 years ago, but my lifestyle has outgrown it with the kids getting older (11 & 14) and the desire to load the boat with more guests & water sports for those that come up to my summer home (current boat only has two capt seats and bench in the back with a closed hull) I plan on keeping my old boat and going to the boat show and pulling the trigger on a Yamaha if the deal makes sense.

The 212 Limited S seems like a no-brainer in that it has just about everything that the 242 Limited S has but without the extra $10k price tag & 3 feet. My one major hesitation is that over the past 5-10 years on the lake, the boats have just gotten so much bigger and their waves have grown with them. Therefore, my gut is telling me to go into the AR240, and have the dealer upgrade the speakers by putting two in the stern and add the Wet Sound Audio Package for the tower speakers (assuming I can add this at purchase?). I cannot think of anything else in the 242 Limited S that sticks out for my needs other than the lack of stereo system. Is there anything that I am missing regarding these two 2019 models?

Thank you for any input & I probably answered my own question.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I believe the LS has an upgraded tower? I think @swatski would have some beneficial insight with this decision so maybe he’ll weigh in on this.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe the LS has an upgraded tower? I think @swatski would have some beneficial insight with this decision so maybe he’ll weigh in on this.
I've been trying to stay out of it, lol.

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the concern of size is even in your head I would go 242. I also would say thought if your buying this strictly to hold more people and water sports I might consider a wake boat instead as it may fit you wants a little better.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello All. I appreciate all of the member input and experiences that I have found on this site relating to Yamaha Jet Boats. I currently own a 19.5 ft go fast boat that I had restored about 10 years ago, but my lifestyle has outgrown it with the kids getting older (11 & 14) and the desire to load the boat with more guests & water sports for those that come up to my summer home (current boat only has two capt seats and bench in the back with a closed hull) I plan on keeping my old boat and going to the boat show and pulling the trigger on a Yamaha if the deal makes sense.

The 212 Limited S seems like a no-brainer in that it has just about everything that the 242 Limited S has but without the extra $10k price tag & 3 feet. My one major hesitation is that over the past 5-10 years on the lake, the boats have just gotten so much bigger and their waves have grown with them. Therefore, my gut is telling me to go into the AR240, and have the dealer upgrade the speakers by putting two in the stern and add the Wet Sound Audio Package for the tower speakers (assuming I can add this at purchase?). I cannot think of anything else in the 242 Limited S that sticks out for my needs other than the lack of stereo system. Is there anything that I am missing regarding these two 2019 models?

Welcome to the club, you have certainly come to the right place, there is a ton of good info here on those boats.

I would agree 100% the AR240 is the best "value" in the YJB lineup. My own experience has been great overall, but with some marked bumps in the road, for example I believe the AR240 tower locking mechanism is absolute shit (sorry!).
Not necessarily a deal breaker and there are ways to fix it, too, albeit it is still annoying if you are buying a new boat!

And yes, the OEM speakers (seaworthy) in the non-LTD and non-E models do not work well (are literally worthless) and need to be replaced ASAP.

The good news is - all of those can be done very inexpensively.

--

--

nf22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Robert843, thank you. My kids are not crazy into water sports. (My son loves speed, which is why I’m keeping the go fast boat) They have had the lake house since they were born and they’ve only gone tubing when their friends come up for a weekend (or by themselves the last week of the summer. Go figure) and have waterskied a handful of times. I was very hopeful when my daughter was 3 and began skiing on the training board, but that’s gone by the wayside. I hope my son will pick up wake boarding but I’m not betting on it. This boat would be used as a family boat to take friends out and their kids on the tube or random water ski etc... nothing that I believe I would need a pure wake boat but I’m hopeful the AR240 will be plenty sporty for me needs.

Swatski, thank you as well. I did not know about the tower and will look into this when I go to the boat show in a couple of weeks. Perhaps they made changes for 2019 but I will defiantly ask and compare when they are next to each other, so I appreciate your input & knowledge.

Dumb question, but when buying new at the boat show, do I have the ability to order the boat with the upgraded speakers or do I need to buy the boat from whatever dealer I end up working with or do I need to negotiate the speaker set up with a 3rd party audio company?

Thank you again, the information that can be gained on a forum like this is invaluable for a newbie looking to make my first new purchase after buying and restoring a craigslist used boat from hell, that I now love and adore. However, I took a ton of bumps in the road incl 4 engines, out drives, new floor / stringers, carpet, new seats, tons of props, new gauges, you name it, I replaced it. Just needs a new paint job (not happening with new boat on the way)

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Robert843, thank you. My kids are not crazy into water sports. (My son loves speed, which is why I’m keeping the go fast boat) They have had the lake house since they were born and they’ve only gone tubing when their friends come up for a weekend (or by themselves the last week of the summer. Go figure) and have waterskied a handful of times. I was very hopeful when my daughter was 3 and began skiing on the training board, but that’s gone by the wayside. I hope my son will pick up wake boarding but I’m not betting on it. This boat would be used as a family boat to take friends out and their kids on the tube or random water ski etc... nothing that I believe I would need a pure wake boat but I’m hopeful the AR240 will be plenty sporty for me needs.

Swatski, thank you as well. I did not know about the tower and will look into this when I go to the boat show in a couple of weeks. Perhaps they made changes for 2019 but I will defiantly ask and compare when they are next to each other, so I appreciate your input & knowledge.

Dumb question, but when buying new at the boat show, do I have the ability to order the boat with the upgraded speakers or do I need to buy the boat from whatever dealer I end up working with or do I need to negotiate the speaker set up with a 3rd party audio company?

Thank you again, the information that can be gained on a forum like this is invaluable for a newbie looking to make my first new purchase after buying and restoring a craigslist used boat from hell, that I now love and adore. However, I took a ton of bumps in the road incl 4 engines, out drives, new floor / stringers, carpet, new seats, tons of props, new gauges, you name it, I replaced it. Just needs a new paint job (not happening with new boat on the way)
There are no upgrades like that from the factory. The speaker swap is very easy. The dealer that you purchase from might though. The speakers are very easy to do. 4 screws each speaker swap the plugs and done. The amps to drive them a little more difficult, but not too difficult.

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey NF22,

First off, congrats, you are definitely in the right place!

I don’t want to steer you away from a 24 foot boat if you are liking that size, but, as you initially asked about the 21 footer, I’ll add my two cents incase it is of any help to you.

Last summer we wanted some more space and some more watersports capabilities so we started looking at upgrading our AR190 (Absolutely LOVED that boat). We checked out both the 21 and 24 foot options and going into it had a few things we wanted:
- Twin Engine
- Ballast
- Better Sound System
- Control of stereo and other functions from helm (190 was only in the glove box, but I think the 240’s have that)
- SeaDeck (or whoever the stock deck is, just upgrade from carpet)
- Tower
- Bimini
- Dual axel trailer

About our boating:
- We are about 5 minutes from a free and easy public launch, so we launch every day we are on the water, usually 2-4 times a week during the summer
- We are on an inland lake, though it is farily large (about 90 miles)
- Though we are not the busiest lake in the world, our waters are often chock full of wake boats (now including us sort of)
- Self draining engine as we like to boat well into the fall (just for peace of mind)
- We wanted lots of flexibility for watersports such as wakeboarding, wake surfing, tubing, skiing, swimming, and less exciting sports such as picnicing, cruising, siteseeing, and hanging out.
- Easyto handle for 2 most of the time, space for 4-6 sometimes, and flexibility for more on rare occasions

We looked at eather the 212X (I believe very similar to the limited except for the aditional ballast and some colours) or the AR240. Of course we loved the 242X E-Series, but that was beyond our budget.

In the end we chose the 212X, mostly because it was ready to go with everything we wanted right out the door, no big upgrades or additions needed. There were a few things that we could have pretty easily upgraded, like the sound system, dual battery setup and seadeck. But there were also alot of features that we wouldnt have been able to upgrade that we really appreciate such as the upgraded finishes and materials and upgraded connex screen.

Size wize we were always ok in the wakeboat wake with the 190, but the 212 has handeled them like a champ. I have no doubt the 24 foot will be even better, but it hasnt been a problem. We also like the ease of towing, I’m a farm boy, so I’m not afraid of hauling just about anything, the 190 was a breeze, the 212 is easy,a nd though I’m sure the 24o isnt bad either for our storage, and constant in/out, I’m glad there that we didnt go bigger.

I’m sorry if I got into wayyyyyy too much detail, but I wanted to share our decision process with you as best as possible because we ended up going with the smaller option, which is different than the suggestions so far. Not saying that the others are wrong in any way, just wanted to share what led us to make a different decision in our specific situation.

Feel free to give me a shout anytime if you want more rambeling thoughts from a stranger!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I must say the 212s have always been my favorite boats in the line up. We bought in 2016, so after the new Model Year of 240/242 was out but before the new MY 212s were out. I do think that the 212s, especially the 212X, are a bit pricey especially as compared to plain vanilla AR240.

--

nf22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for your reply Whisky. I think besides the ballast, the 24 has everything the 21 has, given that I hope to upgrade the stereo & the trailer is not very important to me. The plan is to launch the boat late spring, it will sit on a jet dock, and “praise to the boat gods” I will pull her out of the water in late Sept for storage.

I guess it would make some sense if I actually test drove them, but can’t do that in the middle of winter..

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That makes sense! Love the idea of those jet docks, but haven’t tried one.

Sadly, I’m a sufferer of winter as well..... haven’t figured out how to get the ice fishers to cut a big enough hole for my boat yet!

If you did have a chance to do a test drive, I would recommend it. If we had taken our first and second boat each out for a test drive on the first go round we might have waited and gone with the second boat first. But, having said that, you seem to be doing your research so without being able to drive them, you should still be well equipped to make the right decision for you and your family.

If you have a chance update the location section of your profile, you may be near a member who could have a good chat with you and maybe show you around their boat and the things they like/don’t like. :)

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Welcome and thanks for already being part of the community in other threads. We love engaged members that contribute and we can learn from.

Long post but bear with it as a lot of detailed points to consoder in making the best choice for you. I am on my 4th boat if you count my 3 person square stern double hull canoe with motor as my first. From there I went to a 14 foot seadoo speedster (fast and nimble), 18 foot seadoo challneger 1800 bigger but not as fast or nimble, and then my current boat 242 LS (much much bigger with fi 4 strokes but much less fast and nimble but still my favorite so far) 5 in my family and even the 24 feels cramped when people start moving around to get food or drinks but plenty of space when just crusing. Specifc to the ar vs ls. We choose the ls over an ar or x for the tower and color alone. We thought the Bimini too big for our previous place in Maine on the X and my wife simply liked the styling/ color of the LS better than the AR. 2019 LS models offer a better speakers, tower, and helm display. The rest of the upgrades are very minor. I could not hear the stock stereo in my ls above 30mph and started a multi phase stereo package upgrade that I am making the funal upgrade to in the coming months. In other words you will likely end up upgrading the stereo anyway even if you buy the LS. Now that we moved to the South East we also wish we had that giant e/x tower/Bimini.

I agree with other that the AR is the best base value for the money. You will likely want an upgraded sound system and I would ask to meet with the installer and ask for photos before deciding who will do that work. Compare that to some of the work folks have done here. Wiring materials and installion quality matters. Adding mid cabin speakers which there is a thread about is the biggeat bang for the buck. Adding amps for all the speakers is the second biggest then towers and sub if desired. Done right it will NOT be cheap. I will never again use Polk “marine” speakers or electronics because even though they claim a bunch of marine ratings my experience and evidence based opinion is that those ratings are a farce particularly the salt and uv exposures rating for the speakers (grills faded in one season) and all of the ratings on their electonics as swim deck remotes have had many issues (yami even switched to fusion a year or two ago for the head units). Wetsounds and JL is all I will use in the future. Simialr to your advice in another thread you get what you pay for.

The 242x is the best it has ever been loaded with fusion and wetsounds. The tower/bimini is awesome for hotter climates where you meed the shade, and they electronics have gotton better too. Fill up the ballast and put you kids or their frond on a wakeboard/surfboard and they will be hooked. Perhaps you too on the surfing thing. The bulit in gps speed control for tow sports is a must and if buying a ar or ls you will need an aftermarket device for that like ridesteady.

Now the part you probably were not expecting and may get me flammed. It also sounds like a Poontoon with a big engine and tow bar may fit the bill better if not getting too much into board sports. They are cheaper in initial cost, insurance, registration, fuel, quieter, and require less maintenance. With a big enough engine they can also break 60 mph which these yamahas can’t.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Brief addition regarless of what boat you buy make sure they throw is an anchor an anchor and safety package. Dealers also supply the batteries and negotiating in larger group 31 agms will prove beneficial particularly for floating with an amped stereo system. Battery charger is almost a must as well.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
AR240 is the sweet spot in terms of value IMO. You will be hard pressed to find as many options and features on any other boat for the price. We have an AR190, only because it needed to fit in the garage for storage, otherwise we would have brought an AR240 home.

My opinions on portions of these boats vary pretty significantly from the general populous on a few things.
  • I think the Stock AR stereo is fine. It has decent volume and clarity while on plane and when at anchor. Our biggest complaint was the lack of sound escaping the boat when at anchor. We added a Wetsounds Stealth 10 Ultra HD soundbar to the tower, and have plenty of sound when cruising or floating now. The soundbar isn't very "full" sounding, but that's OK for us. Overall, it's not concert level quality, but I'm here to float and socialize, not have perfect acoustical reproduction. I suspect this stems from having been in boats with garbage stereo's (our first boats stereo didn't work for the first year we owned it), so this one sounds great to us. If it was me, I would get the AR and drive it around for a while and see how you feel about the stereo. At that point you can decide where best to spend the money on upgrades, instead of just shotgunning the approach from the beginning.
  • I think the forward swept AR tower and it's attachment mechanism is acceptable and safe. The bolt that holds it in the up position has backed out for a few members while underway. It's easily cross threaded as well due to the nature of the way it aligns (or doesn't align). In good working order it's safe and easy to use. When damaged (by factory or by owner or by dealership) problems can occur quickly, this damage often goes unoticed until a problem has arisen, or is on the verge of happening. A single occurrence that I know of has had the tower actually fallen while underway, and that was in open water crossing the gulf stream in the ocean. Don't let this scare you away from purchase. Read the threads around this board that are easy to find (heads up they're long), as a community we've hashed it out to the nth degree and all sides have spoken their piece. Have a look at how the mechanism works, and make a decision on your own. Modifications are available and not overly complicated if you have concerns, or want additional peace of mind that it will stay where you left it.
  • Lots of folks are going to tell you you can't steer a jet boat without some sort of fins or something attached to the jet nozzle. This is a fallacy IMO. Took us all of 2-3 outings to get the hang of it, and after two seasons with the boat it's easily the most maneuverable craft I've piloted on the water. I won't let anyone else pilot it around the docks because of that learning curve, but in open/clear water I've let the 7yr old drive (VERY closely monitored of course), and he does a fine job keeping it pointed straight in both low and high speed scenarios. If you need it to feel more like a traditional stern drive, or need to be able to toss anyone the keys, then get some fins. They do help it track straighter more often.
  • I firmly believe to get the largest boat you can afford/store/trailer/own. With that said, give the 190/195 an honest look with the appropriate amount of people on board. We regularly have 4 adults and 4 kids on board ours. Everyone has a seat, and we aren't stretched for space sitting on laps or folding knees. 8 adults is too many for the 19's. Our "normal" load is 2 adults and 2-4 kids. With this loading we feel we have PLENTY of space and are quite comfy. I'll be sitting on the 21 footers this year as well just to get an idea of how they feel. If I can figure out how to raise the header in the garage a bit, I have the space and might be able to convince the wife an upgrade is a good idea.
  • Boarding/Tubing behind a jet is, well, different. The jet wash creates very turbulent water behind the boat. Couple that with the jets tendency to bleed off speed in turns and operating the vessel with a tube full of kids is VERY different than a traditional stern-drive. Keep that in mind as you're planning. The 24's have less of an issue than the single engine 19's, but they do it too I believe. It's not bad, just different and something to be aware of. Even the 19's have enough power and traction to yank the rope from an experienced skier/boarders hands as well. We have no problem yanking folks up from a deep water start behind our non-supercharged 19ft'er.
Overall the Yamaha boats offer a TON of storage, ease of maintenance, and an overall excellent value. I can't say enough good things about them. Quality control is acceptable. It's not a Mercedes or Audi, but it's not a Kia either. The engine/pump/steering setup is dead simple, very intuitive, and easy to maintain. Decent amount of aftermarket support for the boats as well if you're into that sort of thing.

Welcome to the board, and good luck on your search.

nf22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow, thank you both for spending the time to put together very thoughtful responses. I def have a lot to think about & feel the pressure of the boat show coming my way in a couple of weeks. I have to run into NYC for a meeting but wanted to thank you guys for taking the time to respond before I left...

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow, thank you both for spending the time to put together very thoughtful responses. I def have a lot to think about & feel the pressure of the boat show coming my way in a couple of weeks. I have to run into NYC for a meeting but wanted to thank you guys for taking the time to respond before I left...
We love talking about these boats as a group. Let us know what other questions/thoughts you have and we'll help where we can.

I've been a member on a LOT of enthusiast message boards. This is only the second one that has felt like "internet home" to me. We bicker from time to time, but just like any family, it's because we care.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My decision prior to purchasing in 2016 was between the AR240 and the 212x. I wanted a boat for Watersports but I have an inferiority complex when it comes to size :sorry: :shamefullyembarrased:... Actually, in the back of my head I just knew I'd end up buying the 212 and secretly end up wishing I'd got the bigger boat, for space, rough water handling and all that... the price difference between the 2 was only $3-4k at the time. I didn't see the value in the 242 limited because the upgrades, although nice features, weren't ones that particular appealed to my needs. I could add what was lacking later if I wanted.

Long story short, I went with the AR240. Had the dealer add JL tower speakers, 10" sub, and upgrade the 4 others speakers. I also had the dealer install a 3 bag integrated ballast system. I spent a bit more to go bigger, but I'm happy, and it still was less than a limited S.

My advice. Boil it down to your basic needs. 1) Space for guests 2) kids interest in trying more watersports activities, etc...

Then start to add in the luxuries. 1) stereo upgrades 2) upgraded tower 3) ballast

If the kids have an interest in watersports I think there are 2 must haves. 1) the tower, it improves the wakeboarding and wakesurfing experience, it will be easier to sell later a boat with a tower later, and it looks cool, and gives more places for speakers 2) wakesurf board and the custom swimdeck ballast bag from @jcyamaharider. Once you or the kids try it, you'll be hooked. Other internal ballast is a luxury that can help to fine tune things, but the swimdeck bag puts the weight where it needs to be... it's easy, low impact, and FUN.

The AR240 was the right boat for me. It's the perfect platform to build off of. I've owned mine for nearly 4 years now and I still LOVE IT! Probably even more now, due to some upgrades I've made over the years. I had thought when I purchased it that after my promotional 5 year rate expired I'd probably be looking to upgrade, but now I don't know. The years have flown by and I'm pretty content with what I've got. If I were to buy today? I'd probably upgrade to a 242X E-series, because it's the next logical upgrade for my needs/wants. Maybe when I see the next redesign of the 240/242's I'll be more tempted.

Last edited:

nf22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I really wish it was easier to pick between the AR240 and the 240 Limited S. Logic tells me that the AR240 is the right choice, but I keep coming back to the Limited S. Worst part is that I do not love the colors in either model. If one of them really stuck out like the 2018 Limited SE, it would make it so much easier....

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you are having a hard time picking, go for the AR240 and use the leftover cash to make the boat yours!

(that was a test...if you cringed at losing the Limited S features, buy the Limited...Rarely do you wish you bought less...)

How big a deal is the cost difference to you? Not sure if the Limited S has the electronic throttle, but I would say that's worth $2K alone. Nothing else would be worth much to me personally.

You will be happy with both...it's more of a Ribeye or Fillet question.

Best of luck making your choice.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you are having a hard time picking, go for the AR240 and use the leftover cash to make the boat yours!
That is EXACTLY what I did...

Kate said: "Honey, just get the boat you want as long as it has everything you need"
Well, hell, what do you say to this???
I said: "Honey, there is no such thing..."
Kate: (the look :rolleyes:)

Feeling responsible I decided to get the AR. I figured I will take the money we were saving by purchasing a lower model and put it right back in the boat - the way I want it.
Which worked out okay, but not great. Looking back, I would get the LS-E or X.

I did not trust Yamaha big tower/bimini and was worried once people start taking those to Bimini they will all fail... Well, I couldn't be more wrong, even if I tried! Those large, heavy towers are proving to be quite amazing on all accounts.
(The AR240 towers... well, I'm going to leave it alone here, but I'm not a huge fan)

The E-throttles have also proven to be robust, and everyone loves those, hardy any complains.
I still think the RideSteady is a better option for sport/cruise control but, again, I would opt for the E-boat there, on balance.

--