• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

"Premium" Sound System

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So today I had my stereo replaced by Marinemax because the stock stereo fried (known issue). Scarab sent out the newer model they're putting in their 2015's. Unfortunately for me, the new stereos take a different Controller cable than the "Unilink" cable the stock stereo took. I upgraded the remote by the steering wheel to the RMX60 so now that display won't work. I decided to just order the same stereo as @ScarabMike so I can use my remote and my Sirius Radio. Since I have had audio problems since day 1 (Blown amps, but resolved) I really started looking into what this premium sound system really is.
Stereo:
Sony CDX-M60UI

Speakers:
6-6.5in Kicker Speakers- RMS-65 Watts PEAK-195 Watts
1- 8in Kicker Shallow Mount *CAR* Sub- RMS-300 Watts PEAK- 600 Watts

Amplifiers:
2- 100 Watt 2 Channel Amps (For 6 Speakers)
1- 2oo Watt 1 Channel Amp- (For Sub)

If our speakers are 4ohm (which I would imagine) then these amplifiers are only giving about 25watts per speaker. Like I said, I am going to have to replace the replacement of the stock stereo myself and by next season I plan on replacing all 3 amplifiers with a JL M800/8V2 which will give each speaker 75 watts RMS and will allow 300 watts for a sub which I will replace with an Alpine Type R 8inch sub or a JL 10in Marine Sub.

I just wanted to vent about our "premium" sound system.
Also note, I may be off with some of my calculations, don't kill me! But I will be replacing some of the audio equipment on the boat. I want to hear these speakers with the right amount of power before I replace them all too, I do believe they have potential with the right amp. I also understand why Scarab used the amplifiers they did to save power from the 1 battery the boat came with...I already added a second battery so Im ready for some quality power for my speakers! lol

Last edited:

luanders

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks for the tips-- I want to make some improvements In this area!

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Would love to hear how it works out when you get them properly powered, so keep us in the loop!

Jpseph296

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have had nothing but issues with my "premium" sound so I will definitely be looking into this next year also. Can't wait to see how it works out

BarbaraAnn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Very good information DJMattyT

2019scott195wake300

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
So today I had my stereo replaced by Marinemax because the stock stereo fried (known issue). Scarab sent out the newer model they're putting in their 2015's. Unfortunately for me, the new stereos take a different Controller cable than the "Unilink" cable the stock stereo took. I upgraded the remote by the steering wheel to the RMX60 so now that display won't work. I decided to just order the same stereo as @ScarabMike so I can use my remote and my Sirius Radio. Since I have had audio problems since day 1 (Blown amps, but resolved) I really started looking into what this premium sound system really is.
Stereo:
Sony CDX-M60UI

Speakers:
6-6.5in Kicker Speakers- RMS-65 Watts PEAK-195 Watts
1- 8in Kicker Shallow Mount *CAR* Sub- RMS-300 Watts PEAK- 600 Watts

Amplifiers:
2- 100 Watt 2 Channel Amps (For 6 Speakers)
1- 2oo Watt 1 Channel Amp- (For Sub)

If our speakers are 4ohm (which I would imagine) then these amplifiers are only giving about 25watts per speaker. Like I said, I am going to have to replace the replacement of the stock stereo myself and by next season I plan on replacing all 3 amplifiers with a JL M800/8V2 which will give each speaker 75 watts RMS and will allow 300 watts for a sub which I will replace with an Alpine Type R 8inch sub or a JL 10in Marine Sub.

I just wanted to vent about our "premium" sound system.
Also note, I may be off with some of my calculations, don't kill me! But I will be replacing some of the audio equipment on the boat. I want to hear these speakers with the right amount of power before I replace them all too, I do believe they have potential with the right amp. I also understand why Scarab used the amplifiers they did to save power from the 1 battery the boat came with...I already added a second battery so Im ready for some quality power for my speakers! lol
did you ever end up doing this?