• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Preparing for Bimini

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Also...would it be possible to get a separate thread with a checklist, and tips sticky'd in this forum for Bimini? Bimini has a lot of special requirements (both equipment, and procedures).
@Charles attached is a document I've put together with a bunch of useful information. @Bruce @Charles has a good idea, could there be a thread stuck to the top of the Gathering section that will hold just the Bimini information. I would be more than happy to help fill the thread with information.

Attachments

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is my start a much longer post on preparing for the Bimini trip. This was @Charles' suggestion and @andy07sx230ho had previously compiled information so I placed his post first in the thread.

This was last updated on Jan 21st 2018.

Index
Accessibility
Anchoring
Approximate Agenda For Bimini Flings
Articles on making the crossing in a small boat
Bimini Bread
Changes that were made for the 2016 crossing
Clothing
Coast Guard Requirements
Communications
Cost of the trip
Customs
Dive Sites
Docking in Bimini and Tides
Emergency Contacts
Equipment Rental
Fishing and Eating Caught Fish
Flying to Bimini
Flags
Firearms
Food and Drink
Fuel Consumption
Idle and Slow Speed Zones (Broward County)
Insurance and Tow Coverage
Keep it Between the Navigational Beacons
Launching From Painted Trailers
Links to Bimini Trip Threads
Links to Bimini Videos
Mosquitos
Navigation
Returning to the US
Rough Water Handling Tips
Safety
Shore Power and Water
Snuba
Suggested Boat Mods Not Covered Above
Sunscreen
Taking the Ferry
Weather Reports
What happens if I or the group has to cancel
What kind of fuel is sold in Bimini?
YOGA
Your Probability Of Having A Successful Bimini Fling is 67.5%

There is so much to do in Bimini that everyone will have different goals, plans and opinions on the trip. I am writing this from my perspective as a father bringing my wife and two young children who were four and seven for their first crossing.

The Bimini Crossing is more than 50 miles in length, crosses The Gulf Stream and is in The Bermuda Triangle. The weather for the crossing is unpredictable and can change rapidly. We have no idea what the weather will hold when we pick dates six months in advance. There is a real possibility of damaging or losing your boat on the crossing. Two Jet Boaters were swamped and disabled during the 2015 crossing. It is possible that lives could be lost. Two experienced young men lost their lives in July of 2015. Four fishermen lost their lives around Bimini in two separate incidents in 2017. If your boat is disabled during the trip the cost to tow, salvage or repair your boat could be more than you planned to spend on the entire trip

There is added safety in numbers when we cross as a group. But as the Captain you are responsible for your boat and crew. Any boat or crew member that is not prepared to pound waves for six hours to spend a week in paradise should not attempt the trip. You need to have quality flotation, signaling, navigation and communications equipment on your boat. Boats should not be overloaded. For me that means that I would not want to transport anyone beyond my family of four to Bimini on our 23' boat. All boats need to carry sufficient fuel to reach Bimini with a reasonable reserve. For most of our boats that is simply a full tank but for 192s that is perhaps an extra 25 gallons. All boats should maintain sufficient speed to keep up with the group. At minimum that speed will be planing speed. In decent water our speed will be around 30 MPH at which our boats are most efficient. All cargo in your boat needs to be secured. Any heavy cargo in the bow area needs to be secured in such a way that it can be quickly moved backward. All crew should be seated in the cockpit area with the windscreen passage closed.

Moving on to the fun stuff......

Bimini is an amazing place. My family's four trips there have been the most relaxing and enjoyable vacations that we have ever had. It is something that you will talk about all year long and be counting the days until you can go back again. The experience is similar to camping in a condo with the most amazing scenery and wildlife that you could imagine. You will want to bring everything that you need for the entire trip but also pack light. It is an adventure and will test your boating, navigational, communication, planning, camping, cooking and survival skills. It has been a great learning opportunity for my children.

Introduction

The 2014 Bimini fling was the most relaxing vacation that I have ever taken. My entire family wants to go back as often as we can. Specifically my four year old son asked if we could go back next year and the year after that while my seven year old daughter asked if we could go back the year after that and the year after that and the year after that and the year after that and the year after that and the year after that ........ I worked in Australia and Europe for many years so we have been to a lot of beaches and reefs. Bimini is an amazing place to relax that I would rate above everywhere I have been other than diving at the Great Barrier Reef.

The annual fling starts with a 57 mile crossing from. Fort Lauderdale to Bimini Bahamas. The fling starts with a 6 AM departure from the Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel. Slips are available at the Bahia Mar Yachting Center. Most of us launch and leave our trucks and trailers at Harbour Towne Marina on the Dania Cutoff Canal. In 2014 everyone stayed at Bimini Sands Resort & Marina, which has the nicest Marina in Bimini and very nice condos. There are lots of other options if Bimini Sands does not interest you. Most boats on the trip had more than one family on board.

I really want to thank all of the members who pioneered this fling long before I got around to joining in. @upperdeck, @justason and @andy07sx230ho are three of them. There are others that I have not mentioned. Thanks guys!

Accessibility

Bimini Sands has floating docks that are near level with our boats. Bahai Mar has similar docks in Fort Lauderdale All other marinas that I visited in Bimini had fixed docks that could be anything from a little too tall to way too tall depending on the tide. We moored at Big Game Club once. I lifted the kids out of the boat onto the dock. Rana and I were able to step up from the area in front of the windscreen on our SX230.

Cars are unusual on Bimini. Golf carts are available but we never found enough of a need to rent one. The distance from the beach front condos on the North side of the facility to the infinity pool or from the the condos on the south side to the office / bar and bus stop are around half of a mile. It is rumored that some of the condos come with working golf carts. If this is something that you need please ask when booking. It is safe to say that most of us will walk and carry more in Bimini that we typically do.

Some condos have stairs for access to the loft, others have a PVC ladder that runs straight up the wall. If you are concerned about stairs please discuss with the staff when you book.

There are a few carts around the docks to borrow to roll heavy items to your condo. The carts will be very busy when our group arrives and departs. I would guess there are four or fewer carts for the entire facility. We unloaded a little at a time from our boat as we needed it.

Anchoring

I have used a simple and inexpensive galvanized danforth / fluke style anchor that fits well in the bow anchor locker with five feet of 5/16" chain. It digs into the sand and holds the boat well.

Mooring Buoys are available at many of the popular spots. We tied to them several times. Please use them if available.

For 2017 I upgraded to a Fortress FX-7 anchor which works a little better. Many boaters enjoy using a Mantus anchor which is believed to set faster.

There are a few places like the Sapona where it is very difficult to set any anchor. I recommend swimming a rope to the Sapona if the mooring balls are taken.

Approximate Agenda For Bimini Flings

Sunday before 4:00 PM. This is the time to stock up on supplies and food for the trip, pack everything in your boat and launch.

My family will spend the Saturday night before launching in Fort Pierce, FL which is a little under 2 hours from Fort Lauderdale. Being close will give us more time for final preparations on the launch day.

Last minute supplies - There is a very large Bass Pro Shop with a nice aquarium and restaurant that is likely on your way to launch. A Divers Direct is also located in the same parking lot.

Groceries - We shop at the Publix Grocery Store near the Harbor Towne Marina and load the groceries directly into the boat. There is a Winn Dixie a few blocks to the West.

Launch - I recommend launching your boat and leaving your tow vehicle and trailer at Harbour Towne Marina on the Dania Cutoff Canal. They have 24 hour security and have charged $8 per day cash for parking in the past. Harbor Towne is 5 miles by water from the Bahia Mar Yachting Center. You will be boating through slow speed areas. I was pulled over for 7 MPH last year so it will take approximately an hour to boat from Harbor Towne to Bahia Mar. You can view the route at http://tinyurl.com/zpzh8yu or download it from http://tinyurl.com/hu8r32u .

Sunday before 5:30 PM. Please have your boat docked in a slip at Bahia Mar with a full tank of fuel. We will not stop for fuel on the way to Bimini on the morning of departure. The fuel dock that is open at that time has asked us to fuel up during the day on Sunday as they had difficulty handling our group in 2014. So please fuel up on the 19th. I will do so at Bahia Mar's fuel dock which closes at 5:30 PM. Lauderdale Marina which is NW of the 17th Street Draw Bridge is another option which offers bait and tackle as well as fuel.

Sunday 6:00 PM Captains meeting(s) at Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel. I would like to break captains meetings up into groups that will be making the crossing together. So we will have three or four smaller captains meetings at locations to be determined. The group leaders and I will work out the split of confirmed participants into groups in April.

Monday 6:00 AM Departure from the Bahia Mar Yachting Center for Bimini Bahamas. I will update the times for departure as we get closer. Current intentions are to have groups leaving at 6:00, 6:10 and 6:20. Please have your boat loaded with all cargo secured before your departure time. Your group will conduct a combination radio check and roll call ten minutes before departure. You can view the route at http://tinyurl.com/zlatnzu or download it from http://tinyurl.com/jo45osd .

First Good Water Day ~ Noon Pot Luck / Party at the Sandbar on the NW side of North Bimini, Bahamas. This paradisal location is 9.4 miles NW of Bimini Sands. This is an area of shallow water and shifting sand so we will need to be careful but should be a great time. My family has been enjoying this location since 2014 and almost everyone visited during the 2016 fling. We will likely find dolphins a little further north and go out in groups to hang out with them. I encourage you to bring inflatable paddle board, kayaks, boats, etc to explore the mangroves. There are many reef areas West of North Bimini that you will pass on the 9.4 mile route to this location. I recommend visiting the Three Sisters rocks where you will find mooring buoys to tie off to, amazing scenery for snorkeling and smaller but hungry reef fish are an easy catch. You can view the route at http://tinyurl.com/zy75fsb or download it from http://tinyurl.com/h5ufatb .

Second Good Water Day - Morning. I would like to take a group for an all day cruise from Bimini around Cat Cay and back. If we have time we may extend to include Ocean Cay. We will start off with a 13.3 mile run to the Tuna Alley reefs which are west of Cat Cay. We will snorkel and fish at this location. Then we will move on to the Rainbow Reefs south of Cat Cay where we will continue with more snorkeling in some of the clearest water with the most vibrant coral that you will find around Bimini. These are drift diving locations. The current is sufficiently swift to pull snorkelers or divers away from your boat. It is an excellent place to use SCUBA gear but the water visibility is greater than the 50' of depth so you can see the coral just by looking over the side of your boat. All snorkelers will really enjoy this location. In the, likely late, afternoon we will stop at Honeymoon Harbor to feed the rays on our way back to Bimini. I imagine most of us will hang out here until evening. Please bring lunch for this excursion, packing dinner would be a good idea.

Saturday ~ 6:00 AM Departure for Fort Lauderdale. You can view the route at http://tinyurl.com/j8gu5ng or download it from http://tinyurl.com/zwuw56q .

Articles on making the crossing in a small boat

http://www.yachtingmagazine.com/cruising-chartering/adventures/crossing-the-gulf-stream-safely

http://www.basspro1source.com/index...ing/1036-boaters-guide-to-the-bimini-crossing

Bimini Bread

Bimini Bread is an awesome slightly sweet bread made with coconut. It is available directly from the Taste of Heaven Bakery on North Bimini or from the shop at Bimini Sands.

Changes that were made for the 2016 crossing

1. Focusing on the responsibility of individual Captains for their boat, equipment, crew, cargo, fuel and crossing.
  • Boat - our boats need to be in optimal condition. Everything on the boat needs to be tested. I would recommend having a free US Coast Guard Vessel Safety Check and will do so myself.
  • Equipment - at a very minimum you need to add a handheld VHF and flares. Even though you are crossing in a group you may venture out on your own once in Bimini. Please consider what safety equipment you will have. In 2014 we added Type 1 Life Vests, a fixed VHF radio (up to 20 mile range), two handheld VHF radios (up to 5 mile range), a chart plotter for navigation with a tablet for backup and a second bilge pump. In 2015 planning for a single boar return crossing we added a Delorme inReach satellite tracker and messaging device. In 2017 we had two boats that drifted for hours before being rescued. Those situations could have been much worse. A satellite tracking device would have been helpful in both situations.
  • Crew - if any of your crew has back or medical issues it would be a good idea to fly them over. On the relatively smooth return portion of the 2015 Fling an experienced Captain hit a rogue wave and suffered a back injury. There is plenty of fun to be had once we get to Bimini. If they are not suited for a long rough crossing of pounding waves please fly them over. I have been in the drivers seat with a screaming passenger where I had to make the decision to ignore that passenger rather than take on water. I would prefer not to experience that again.
  • Cargo - In 2014 we had much better water than 2015 but we had a number of boats stop to secure cargo. We pack our boat so that the only cargo that is not inside of storage areas is limited to ice chest(s) and an inflatable SUP in the bow. Everything else is inside a door or under a seat. The ice chests are secured so that they can be easily moved into the cockpit without needing to stop the boat. If you have other cargo outside of the storage areas your boat is likely too heavy. If you have to stop to secure cargo in good water you impeding the progress of the group, in rough water you are creating risk for your boat and any others that stop with you.
  • Fuel - Any four stroke Yamaha except for a 190/192 should be able to cross with the fuel in the tank. Many members have done this for years. Even though his crew were the saints at the back of the pack taking care of the slower boats during the 2015 crossing @Andy S SX230 made it to Bimini without refueling. In comparison I accelerated to planing speeds around the 20 mile mark and burned 38 gallons with my family, two weeks of food and ham for the group in our SX230. My perspective is that carrying fuel cans increases your boats weight and fuel consumption. It is your decision if you want to carry extra fuel. If you do please do not place the fuel cans where they make clean out ports difficult to use. It is recommended that a 190 carry 10 gallons of extra fuel and a 192 carry 25 gallons of extra fuel at a minimum.
  • Crossing - It is your decision if you want to take your boat out of Port Everglades and attempt the crossing. I am sure that we will all be monitoring the weather and wave forecasts but we learned in 2015 that the forecast may be wrong. If you do venture out of Port Everglades it is your responsibility to get your crew safely to Bimini or return them to Port Everglades. If you experience difficulties other boats will attempt to help but in conditions such as those experienced in 2015 there is very little that another boat of our size and type can do. If you do take on water please keep your crew on your boat. Last year a crew member was injured exiting the stern of a swamped boat. Once in the water your crew will be moving at an average of 4 mph in the Gulf Stream. It is much safer to stay in the boat and wait for rescue. You need to monitor your fuel consumption. If fuel consumption becomes an issue you need to travel at a more efficient speed.

2. Splitting into smaller groups departing at ten minute intervals. The most experienced boaters making the crossing will each lead a small group of four to six boats. I believe this addresses several potential issues;
  • Inaccurate Forecasts - the first group will be several miles out of Port Everglades before the second group exits the port. This lead group will report back about the water conditions. This will avoid the other groups being surprised.
  • Leadership - Each member of the small group will have a leader running immediately ahead. They will be able to see how the leader is taking the waves. This should allow members of the group to emulate the leader and have confidence that they also can handle the upcoming waves.
  • Stopping - each group will handle any issues that occur within that group. If a boat needs to stop the others in the group will either circle or stop depending on the conditions.
  • Communications - it is difficult to hear radio calls with all of the water, wind and engine noise. Each group will use a specific VHF frequency for the group. That way any call on that frequency will be relevant.
  • Observation - After we exit Port Everglades the group members should fan out into a line running beside each other at safe, perhaps 100', intervals at a safe distance behind the leader. This will allow a spotter from the lead boat to observe all of the boats in that group.

3. We will not have a tail. In past years a specific boat has volunteered to be the last and watch for any boats to fall behind. It is unreasonable to ask any boat to take this position. In 2015 the tail spent hours of extra time suffering through rough and dangerous waves. We will not need a tail with small groups that stay together. Our leaders will not travel at unsafe speeds or above the speed that the slowest boat in his group is capable of. Unless the water is very smooth this will be a top speed of 25 to 30 mph. It is the responsibility of the individual Captains to keep up with their leader.

Clothing

Big Game Club includes this in their FAQ "Bimini is very casual but most restaurants require shirts, shoes and no tank tops for service.".

Resorts World lists the dress code for their premier SABOR restaurant as "Island Chic" while their other establishments have dress codes such as "Casual, Swimwear Acceptable" or "Casual and Swimwear during lunch; Island Casual during dinner".

Most of our daily activities involved getting wet. So we would wake up and put our swim suits on then add shirts, swim cover ups or sun dresses for the day.

UV resistant long sleeve shirts and hats are important. The sun will be beating down on you all day and at some point you will want to protect your arms. Soft light weight pants would be useful if you do get sun burned.

Coast Guard Requirements

The Coast Guard has an online pamphlet detailing their requirements and recommendations for safety gear at http://www.uscgboating.org/images/420.PDF . The only requirement beyond that for inland lakes is visual distress signals. These are flares or an orange distress flag and coast guard approved light. I suggest flares as they could have other uses and are much cooler ;)

Communications

During the crossing we will use VHF marine radios to communicate between boats. In the United States it is not legal to use VHF radios on land. Once in the Bahamas they will be used for communication on shore as well. On shore they are basically a party line to organize outings, find friends, etc. Using US mobile phones is expensive in Bimini so VHF radios take their place. Channel 68 can be used to hail the Bimini Sands party bus.

I would say that a Handheld VHF radio is a requirement. It is the minimum needed for boat to boat communication and having one or more will greatly improve your onshore experience.

I brought a pair of Uniden MHS-050. Unfortunately these are no longer available but lots of other options are out there. We use them for canoeing as well. They are waterproof, float and only need charging every few days. We took the charging base to Bimini and charged them every night. Having a handheld VHF in your condo will allow you to hear other groups announce where and when they are going out to. Most of us will announce our plans early enough before our departure that others can join in. Having a pair was great as we were able to communicate amongst each other when we were apart. Our experience was that we could use them over long distances such as from Bimini Sands on South Bimini to Big Game Club on North Bimini. We also have a Uniden Atlantis 250G. I prefer the smaller MHS-050 radios for carrying around. I would likely choose a larger more expensive radio with DSC capability if it was going to be my only VHF radio.

In 2017 I purchased a Uniden Atlantis 270 which is an excellent inexpensive handheld with a long lasting lithium battery that can be purchased for as little as $70.

The Standard Horizon HX870 is an excellent full featured hand held radio for around $200.

I installed a Standard Horizon GX1700 marine radio in our boat. I chose this radio because of it's built in GPS and DSC automated distress call functionality. I chose a Digital 528 4' VHF Antenna which has a 1.5db gain over a typical 4 foot antenna and is easier to handle than a 6db 8 foot antenna. I used a Shakespeare 4188‑S Stainless mount with the antenna. I powered the VHF radio using a power lead from the battery that I had installed for an accessory switch panel. This radio worked well except it is difficult to hear clearly while throttled up for the crossing. I plan to add an additional speaker or mix the VHF radios output into the stereo sound over the winter.

A Distress Radiobeacon could be invaluable in an emergency situation. These devices that are either worn or installed in your boat and transmit an emergency signal including your location to satellites when activated. Some have subscription fees, others do not. Replacement batteries are expensive. BoatUS offers rentals.

The DeLorme inReach is another option. It has text messaging capability and a small screen with GPS mapping. It also reports your location to a website where friends and family can track your progress. @Tyler had one of these on his single boat crossing. He broke down half way back to Fort Lauderdale. He was able to use it to reach out for help then had further communications using his hand held VHF. In 2015 my family purchased in inReach. We activate it for a month each year around the Bimini trip. You can see our tracking at https://share.delorme.com/Propless . It is a great relief to my parents to be able to check where we are at anytime they want.

Bimini Sands, Big Game Club and their associated facilities have WiFi available. We turned off cellular data on our phones before leaving US waters. Once in Bimini we used iMessage on our iPhones to send messages to friends and family at home. Android phones could use Google Talk for the same purpose. Some condos at Bimini Sands have DSL connections with their own WiFi routers. Most do not. The resort wide WiFi service has spotty coverage which is concentrated around their office.

I suggest that you plan to enable international data on your phone if you want to maker regular use the internet in Bimini. I spent $10 a day to use my existing data plan including tethering in Bimini in 2017.

Cost of the trip

Most families budget approximately $4,500 for a group of four, $5,500 for a group of 6 or $6,500 for a group of 8. These are costs directly related to travel, food, lodging, fuel, souvenirs, etc for the trip. These costs vary greatly based on your distance from Fort Lauderdale. If you do not have passports you will need to pay for those as well. Many will spend thousands more on boat upgrades for their first trip.

Some estimated costs are;
  • Bimini Sands lodging and slips range from $1,425 for one bedroom, $1,600 for one bed with loft, $2100 for two bedrooms, $2200 for two beds with a loft or $2300 for three bedrooms.
  • Customs fees are $175 for four, $225 for six or $275 for eight.
  • Boat fuel purchased in Bimini (100 gallons @ $6)~ $600
  • Truck and trailer parking in Fort Lauderdale $80
  • Bahia Mar Yacht Club Hotel and Slip $200
  • Groceries, I spend around $125 per person so $500 for four, $750 for six or $1,000 for 8.
  • Eating out in Bimini, we typically spend around $300 for two meals for our family of four
  • Fuel for the tow, I budget $4 a gallon at 10 MPG for a 2,500 mile tow which is $1,000.
  • I also budget two hotel stays for the tow in each direction and meals for those days.
Most of your time in Bimini will be on the water where no shopping is available. You will want to budget for some souvenir shopping. There are few opportunities to buy souvenirs, the ship stores at the marinas all have shirts and hats. There are interesting clothing shops along the streets of North Bimini.

Customs

I have placed a copy of the customs / immigration paperwork online at http://pdf.ac/6pQ8gY where you can fill in and print the forms. Bimini Customs is now requiring these forms to be printed on legal sized (8.5x14) paper.

You will want to complete the Bimini Customs Forms in advance so that you do not waste time doing so while you are there. You also need to complete an immigration card for each person on your boat. For fling participants where will have these forms available at the captain's meeting. The custom's form needs to be completed by the master of the vessel. This form should be downloaded and filled out prior to departure. Each person/family needs to fill out the immigration form but cannot be downloaded. More info on customs/immigration can be found at Bahamas.com/boating or http://www.bahamas.com/boating-enter-exit. The fee for your boat to clear customs in $150 for boats up to 35' and $300 for larger boats. This fee covers up to 3 people on your boat. The fee increases by $25 for each additional person. You will need a passport for each person on your boat, proof of insurance for your boat, your boats registration document and the appropriate fee in cash to clear customs.

Dive Sites

DiveSpots.com has pictures, depth descriptions, reviews and GPS coordinates for 18 dive sites at http://www.divespots.com/scuba-diving-spots/bahamas/bimini/spots/

The maps that will be passed out at the Captains Meeting will have coordinates for many dive and snorkel spots around Bimini.

Equipment rental rates online at http://www.biminiscubacenter.com/#!prices/ce0e

Docking in Bimini and Tides

Bimini Sands and Resorts World have floating docks. Big Game Club has fixed docks. When tying off to fixed docks you need to leave sufficient slack to allow your boat to move up and down with the tides. This is much more complex so I was excited when I learned about the floating docks at Bimini Sands!

Emergency Contacts

The number for all emergencies in the Bahamas is: 919

The level of available medical assistance and facilities vary throughout the archipelago. While there are hospitals and/or clinics on the major islands, medical facilities are limited or non-existent on the small islands like Bimini. Medical facilities seldom accept US health insurance and frequently require payment up front for non-emergency care.

The following are some options should medical attention be necessary:

Alice Town Community Clinic 242-473-7939 or 242-347-2210
Located on North Bimini by Gateway Ministry Church, just south of Resorts World.

Bailey Town Community Clinic 242-347-2040
located on North Bimini just west of Big Game Club

Royal Bahamas Defense Force 242-362-3814/16 or 242-376-3251
for land and sea assistance

United States Coast Guard Miami Command 305-415-6800

United States Coast Guard National Command 800-323-7233

National Air Ambulance 800-327-3710 option 4 or 954-359-9900

Reva Air Ambulance 800-752-4195 or 954-730-9300

Advanced Air Ambulance 800-633-3590 or 305-232-7700

If you need get someone flown out and they can wait an hour or two for pickup contact Bruce on VHF channel 69 and I have contacts for pilots who will do so inexpensively.

Equipment Rental

The Bimini Sands Office has some items for rent or even to borrow. Please ask there first.

Bimini Undersea (I believe part of Resorts World) offers rental of kayaks and stand up paddle boards. Unfortunately they do not list prices online.

Big Game Club also offers kayaks and paddle boards. They have prices posted online starting at $12 per hour for Kayaks and $18 per hour for paddle boards..

Neal Watson's Scuba Center which is now located at Big Game Club offers scuba gera rental.

Fishing and Eating Caught Fish

A fishing license is issued for your boat when you clear customs.

When preparing for the 2014 fling I found a provision in the Bahama's fishing regulations that stated
"No vessel shall have on board any fish unless its head and tail is intact." We like to grill fish on the boat and during outings. I emailed the Bahama's Department of Marine Resources and received the following reply.

"Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately there are several versions of the Fisheries Regulations of the Bahamas online and most are out of date.

The provision that you referred to, i.e. having the head and tail intact, is no longer in effect.
I have attached for your information a copy of a press release that accompanied the most recent changes to the regulations governing sportsfishing in The Bahamas.

You are certainly allowed to cook fish you have caught.

Enjoy your vacation in The Bahamas."

I have attached the fishing regulations that they attached to their reply.

I am not a big fisherman. I grew up fishing most days for food and consider it to be work. But my kids really enjoy it. We took the kids light tackle that they use for blue gill fishing with 4 pound line and small hooks as well as one $40 rod, reel and tackle combination set with 15 pound line.

We fished twice. The first time at the Sapona where we had a lot of fun catching and releasing sergeant majors. Initially we tried fishing with pieces of sardine. They attacked the bait so violently that it would not stay on the hook. They would swarm anything we put in the water. The tackle set included with the rod and reel came with some plastic bait. I tore off small pieces of the plastic bait and placed it on the small blue gill hooks. The kids reeled in at least a dozen of the sergeant majors in less than thirty minutes.

The second time Gavin and I fished near three sisters while Rana and Emma snorkeled. We fished with the large rod and reel using squid that we bought at Bimini Sands for bait. We would place about 1/3rd of a squid onto a 2" hook, cast it out and let it sink. We would have a fish on within a minute or so. We kept two yellow snapper, two grunts, a dark colored parrot fish and a queen trigger.

Other members have posted about their fishing in Fishing in Bimini

I plan to take better equipment next year but do not plan to spend a lot of time fishing. Our 2014 fishing experience was fun and provided a meal.

In 2015 we stayed after the group left and spent a little more time fishing. We used chum to lure the fish over a 50' deep reef. The fish were larger and swarmed around the chum. We caught more ocean trigger and snapper than we could eat in less than an hour. The trigger fish are plentiful but difficult to filet. You would need a serrated knife or scissors to cut through their skin.

This is a nice article on Fishing Caribbean Islands Casting Poppers and Stickbaits.

Here is a nice guide to Bimini Fishing from George Poveromo https://www.saltwatersportsman.com/bimini-fishing-variety

This is George Poveromo's Bimini Episode from 2017

Flying to Bimini

Silver Airways offers every day flights from Fort Lauderdale to Bimini. https://www.silverairways.com

Looking at fares for June they are around $250 round trip per passenger.

It appears that every bag is charged at $35 for the first, $50 for the second and $150 each after that. Bags over 62 linear inches or 50 pounds are charged higher fees. https://www.silverairways.com/more-information/travel-policies/policy/optional-fees

Sky Bahmahas also offers Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday flights from Fort Lauderdale to Bimini. Pricing this month is around $300 round trip. They do not list availability for summer time flights.

Cape Air also offers flights from Fort Lauderdale to Bimini capeair.com

Flags

When you arrive in Bimini you are supposed to fly a yellow quarantine flag. This can be as simple as a yellow t shirt or any piece of yellow cloth. After clearing customs you can fly a Bahamas courtesy flag. I ordered quarantine, courtesy and diver flags from an Ebay dealer named WhitesMarine - http://www.ebay.com/usr/whitesmarine . Most of their flags are around $12 shipped.

Firearms

In 2015 Bimini established a policy of having their police department take firearms and ammunition from any vessel that does not have a cabin to sleep in on arrival in Bimini then returning them on your departure. Bringing a firearm will cost hours of you and your crews time dealing with extra government regulations. No one in any of our flings has ever needed a firearm. I strongly suggest leaving them in the US despite my very pro carry beliefs.

The Bahama's Government allows handgun(s) or shotgun(s) to be brought into the country and secured on your boat. They can not be taken ashore. You will need to provide make, serial number and a count of ammunition.

The US Embassy in Nassau has posted this "A pleasure vessel entering The Bahamas shall be allowed to import a maximum of three (3) firearms inclusive of handguns, rifles, and shotguns, which such calibre of firearms shall not exceed three hundred and eight (308) calibres. Two hundred fifty (250) rounds of ammunition are allowed per firearm. You must provide the serial number, name of the manufacturer, plus an exact count of ammunition. While you are allowed to have a firearm on your boat, you cannot remove it. Weapons must be under lock and key at all times. However, for opened center console vessels, if a firearm is on board such a vessel, The Royal Bahamas Police Force will detain the weapon until the vessel's departure. In cases of emergencies, which require your departure by air, you must notify Bahamian Police or Customs. They will accompany you to retrieve the firearm and present you with a receipt. Upon your return to the island, Bahamian Police or Customs will escort you to your vessel and return your firearm. Any infraction of this law will be dealt with severely and The Bahamas has recently increased both the penalties and sentencing for violators of local firearm laws."

Food and Drink

When we arrived in Bimini in 2014 a Boston Whaler group had just left. They had emptied the grocery stores on the island. I believe that food is typically scarce. We had brought food for every meal plus some extra.

We generally eat out for two to three meals per week while in Bimini. There is so much that can be done and so little so we prioritize time on the water over time spent in restaurants. We generally eat breakfast in the condo, take lunch and snacks out on the boat and return to the condo for dinner which is followed by fellowship and rum in the infinity pool.

Options for eating out on South Bimini include;
  • The Big Dipper located at Bimini Sands, this small diner like facility is located above the ship store. They have seating for perhaps 20 to 30 guests.
  • LilDippers Bar & Grill is open at the infinity pool at Bimini Sands. The menu is written on a chalk board and seems to change on a daily basis. I expect fresh food an amazing drinks to enjoy in an around the pool.
  • Small's Deli which is located about a half mile north of Bimini Sands offers burgers, wings, conch and fish for reasonable prices. A recent review praised the their fried conch.
  • The Thirsty Turtle's Yacht Clubs bar and grill is supposed to be operating it is approximately a half mile north east of Bimini Sands and is accessible by boat. I have heard good things and plan to visit and review in 2017. I understand that amazing seafood pizza similar to what Mackey's offered is available.
Options for eating out on North Bimini include;

Unfortunately our favorite South Bimini restaurants Bimini Twist and Mackey's Sports Bar have closed. Bimini Sands has added significant shaded seating to the infinity pool area and is in the process of erecting a covered but perhaps not walled building there.

The condos have refrigerators, stoves with ovens and microwaves. We brought the types of groceries that we would normally eat at home and mainly cooked in the room or grilled on the boat.

In 2014 we took five 20 ounce bottles of gatorade per person per day along with a case of bottled water. This was more than we needed but I was glad to have it. For the past three years we have taken a couple of packs of bottled gatorade along with gatorade powder. We refilled the bottles as they were consumed. This cut down on the space and weight occupied by drinks.

Rum is inexpensive at $8 to $12 per bottle. We bring mixers from the US and buy rum after arriving. The easiest way to acquire rum may be to dock at Big Game Club on the North Island and buy from their Outfitter Shop. Booze & Screws near the ferry on South Bimini is another convenient option. Butler and Sands, now 700 Wines & Spirits which is SW of Big Game club has the best prices.

There is a Publix Grocery Store near Harbour Town Marina. We stopped here for groceries for the trip and ice. We loaded our shopping from the cart into the boat.

I was very concerned about customs rules about what food could and could not be brought into the country for the 2014 trip. I even emailed Bimini customs to ask for a list. I did not receive a reply. I arrived at customs with a receipt to show if needed. I wrote something along the lines of "groceries for five days" on the customs paperwork. They did not ask any questions about what food we had brought into the country.

In 2016 one boater was told that we are allowed $100 of groceries per person per week. I have always declared that I brought food for my family. I have never been asked for specifics.

FoodStore2Go.com is a Nassau based grocer that offers online shopping with delivery to Bimini. They can delver to Bimini via the mail boat that arrives on Fridays for $4 a box. I am waiting for costs on plane and private boat delivery. I see this being useful for members who want to stay for extended times or if you wanted to pack your boat with people and pick up food in Bimini.

Ten pound ice bags were available at the Bimini Sands store for reasonable prices.

Fuel Consumption

Here are some fuel consumption estimates that I worked out based on reports of fuel consumption from the 2013 crossing. The 2013 crossing was in rough water. We had smooth water during the 2014 crossing and fuel consumption was reduced by approximately 30%. My belief is that we would not cross in anything rougher than it was in 2013 so these are safe assumptions. An expanded version of this will full explanation is found at #199.

Upperdeck says that he burned 35 gallons on the the way to Bimini in 2013 which is supported by reports of similar consumption by others on the trip.

Assuming that a 192 burns 1.3 times the fuel that a 212X does it would have burned 46 gallons.
Assuming that a LX210 burns 2.36 times the fuel that a 212X does it would have burned 82.6 gallons.
Assuming that a 190 burns 0.79 times the fuel that a 212X does it would have burned 29.05 gallons.
Assuming that a Non HO SX230 burns 1.38 times the fuel that a 212X does it would have burned 48.3 gallons.

All of the models above would need to carry extra fuel.

Newer twin engine 210 (3.98 @ 31.1 w MR1s), 212 (3.19 @ 27.2 with 1.8s), 230HO(3.41 @ 28), 240 (3.25 @ 31.7) and 242 (3.25 @ 27.5), models have similar fuel consumption to Upperdeck's 35 gallon consumption. Owners of these boats may want to carry extra fuel.

In 2015 and 2017 2015+ 240 and 242 models needed extra fuel to cross in rough conditions. I suggest that these models carry 5 to 10 gallons of extra fuel.

Broward County Idle and Slow Speed Zones

Much of the intercoastal along with its tributaries and canals is posted as either "Idle Speed" or "Slow Speed" areas. Many of us have been pulled over for as little as 7 MPH in these areas. The idle speed area south of Lake Mable is heavily patrolled. The study guide for a Florida Boating licenses defines these areas as;

“Idle Speed, No Wake” Zone - A designated area where vessels must be operated at a speed no greater than that which is necessary to maintain steerage and headway. The vessel should not produce a wake at this speed

“Slow Speed, Minimum Wake” Zone - Areas where vessels must be fully off plane and completely settled in the water. Any wake created by a vessel in one of these zones must be minimal (very small). If your vessel is traveling with the bow even slightly elevated while in one of these zones, it is not proceeding at “Slow Speed” as required by law.

A printable map of these zones is available from http://myfwc.com/media/1607055/ManateeBrowardRuleMaps.pdf . Pages 5 & 6 cover the areas we most often use. Pages 3 & 4 may become relevant for 2017.

Insurance and Tow Coverage

Some insurance companies have restrictions on taking your boat outside US waters. My Allstate policy is limited to 100 miles from the US coast. Which works great for Bimini but will push me to a more expensive plan if I want to go further. BoatUS is one provider that will cover longer trips.

BoatUS and Sea Tow both offer towing services that return your boat the US in the event of a breakdown. I chose spend the money preparing my boat instead of buying tow coverage. @Tyler bought an used towing coverage so maybe he can share his experience with us.

Keep it Between the Navigational Beacons

The channels to Port Everglades, South Bimini, North Bimini and the Resorts World Ferry Terminal are marked by lighted buoys. The buoys on the channel into North Bimini are particularly important as rocks are found on the edges of the channel on both sides. These buoys and their navigation channels are well marked on most plotter charts. Most of the time, most of us will use our plotters and daylight visibility to navigate these channels. However not all of us will have plotters and in some instances those plotters or the GPS signals they rely on will fail. So we need to read and remember the contents of the U.S. Coast Guards Aids to Navigation System.

Launching From Painted Trailers

This is a partial list of area marinas that appear to offer fork lift launching services keeping your painted trailer out of the salt water. I am not aware of anyone managing to have their boat fork lift launched for the 2014 to 2016 Bimini Flings. If anyone has success with one these locations please let me know so that I can update. Thanks.

http://www.aamcmarina.com/rates/
http://www.banyanbaymarina.net/rates.html
http://boathousemc.com
http://www.lighthousemarina.com/marina-features/general-rates
http://www.billfishmarina.com/Yard_Rates.html
http://www.playboymarine.com/rates/

The best option seems to be to wash your painted trailer as thoroughly as possible after launch and retrieval.

Links to Bimini Trip Threads

Bimini 2014-June 22
Bimini 2015
JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling June 19 to 25 2016
JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 10th to 15th 2017

Links to Bimini Videos

BIMINI 2014 video composition collection thread
Videos included in the 2014 thread
Bimini 2016 photo/video thread

Mosquitos

Mosquitos ruled the islands at night in 2014. They are absent during the day but as soon as the sun goes down they swarm. So bring bug repellent. We brought two ThermaCELLs and several refills. They really helped out. They are supposed to cover a 15 foot by 15 foot area.

In 2015, 2016 and 2017 Bimini Sands was spraying regularly and mosquito bites were rare. However the East side of the resort is adjacent to a fresh water lake. It is impossible to fully exterminate in this area.

Navigation

The group crossing is a big game of follow the leader. I was following and watched the charts with a route plotted just so I would know how far we had traveled. Once you are in Bimini you will want to have some sort of navigational charts. They will help you locate areas to enjoy the water and avoid obstacles such as the moving sands and rocks under water. I used a Ray Marine Dragonfly with the latest Navionics Updates charts. Previously I have used Navionics apps on phones and tablets for navigation in fresh and salt water. I primarily upgraded to the Dragonfly after an issue with a tablet mount failing in 3 foot plus seas. I used Navionics on my iPhone to navigate to the Bimini Road which was marked in the app but not in the charts on the Dragonfly. The phone and tablet charts should be downloaded in advance so that data service is not needed.

It is best to program coordinates into your plotter before leaving home. If you need a list of coordinates please send me a message in a conversation and I will reply with mine.

This map lists all of the interesting places that I am aware of in Bimini.

Returning to the US

When you arrive back at the marina in the US call 1-800-432-1216 or 1-800-451-0393 to report your arrival.

If you are traveling under a SVRS float plan you should call 1-877-330-7327.

This call must be made before you leave the marina. You will need to have all passports for yourself and all crew ready. After providing the necessary information those that are not part of the SVRS program will be asked to report in person within 24 hours. Most likely that will be to the Port Everglades location at 1800 Eller Drive, Suite 110, Fort Lauderdale, FL.

Reporting in person only takes a few minutes. It is likely that there will be some delay in answering our phone calls due to the large number of arrivals at the same time. I have communicated with the call center and asked them to be prepared.

Rough Water Handling Tips
  1. Keep your boat above the water and the water below your boat. Our boats have open bows, a bilge pump and limited self bailing capability. Some boat designs allow water to run out almost as fast as it gets in. Ours do not. So staying on plane and avoiding stuffing the bow into waves is important.
  2. Move your crew as far back as possible while staying in the cockpit. Your boat is basically hinging on the stern when it goes over a wave. The farther back they are the less impact that they feel.
  3. Some small crew members in a lightly loaded boat may wish to lay on one of the side seat cushions while holding on to the nearest handle. The seat cushion will reduce the impact for them.
  4. I find it easiest to stand with my legs bent slightly while crossing rough water. That way my leg muscles can take the force of impact. I have the seat bolster up and in place to catch me if I find the waves to be too rough.
  5. Make sure that you have the kill switch lanyard on.
  6. When the water is rough but not tall enough to come over the bow adding weight to the bow will help to prevent the bow rising which will reduce the impact. Adjustable trim tabs accomplish the same task without the need to shift weight and make it much more convenient to raise or lower the bow.
  7. Regardless of speed you will use more fuel in rough water. On a smooth lake our SX230 should get around 3.4 MPG. On the way to Bimini in 2015 we achieved 1.4 MPG. I believe we saw around 1 MPG when we were caught in a 30 MPH cross wind in the Gulf of Mexico. Even on the lightly loaded and relatively calm return trips from Bimini we have experienced around 2.4 MPG. Our boats are most efficient in undisturbed water so you want to avoid running in the water that has been churned up by the boat in front of you for long periods of time.
  8. Have everything in your boat secured before you enter rough water. It is much more difficult to secure items when you are bouncing around.
  9. If you need to stop decelerate slowly. Coming off plane quickly causes the bow to dip and may result in taking on water. Using reverse will definitely cause your bow to dip.
  10. If you get something in your jet(s) continue on until you find an area of smoother water before stopping to clean out your jets. Having seaweed or something else clogging your jet(s) is unfortunate but not nearly as bad as taking on water while your boat is disabled to clean out the jet(s). We experienced a lot of seaweed around Port Everglades in 2015. It was mixed into the waves and often was impossible to avoid. Once we had a jet clogged we gave it a little time to see if it would free itself then we would move to the leeward side of the groups wake and stop when it looked like the big waves had settled for a while. We decelerated slowly and cleaned out the jet(s) as quickly as possible. @Rana and I would each clean out a jet so that we could complete the task in half of the time. After cleaning our jets we would accelerate to a speed that was sufficient to allow us to catch up with the group and move into our previous position. It is important not to have fuel cans or anything else on top of your clean out plug hatch. It would be good to practice this skill before you venture into rough water.
  11. When you cross large waves you will hear your jets spinning in the air. This is normal. Many of us have heard it hundreds or thousands of times.
  12. If you do get water in your boat stay calm and stay on plane or at minimum keep the bow up. The water will run out through the scupper valve at the stern. Stopping is the worst thing that you can do.
  13. Your boat has built in flotation. It is very unlikely to sink. Even when filled with water our boats maintain significant freeboard. If your boat were to become disabled stay in the boat. Your boat is easier for rescuers to locate than individuals who will likely be separated once they are in the water.

Safety

Before the 2014 trip I was especially concerned about safety since I was bringing a 4 year old and a 7 year old. We felt comfortable the entire time we were there. The locals were very friendly. This has continued to be the case in 2015, 2016 and 2017. I and my family have never felt threatened in Bimini.

Shore Power and Water

Bimini Sands has shore power and water available. The 110 volt power is supplied via a NEMA L5-30P female socket which is common at marinas. I would bring at least 50 feet of extension cords. They tend to pack the boats in so you may have to run the cord some distance to access power. You could use a $21 Coleman Cable 01915 3-Feet L5-30P to (2) Lighted 5-20R Y adapted combined with a standard extension cord. I made an extension cord with a L5-30P male on one end and standard plug on the other by buying the L5-30P at Home Depot, cutting off the male end and attaching the L5-30P.

The water is supplied via a standard garden hose spigot. I keep a Pocket Hose in my ski locker to fill my shower tank.

Snuba

Bimini Undersea also offers Snuba which is a two person tethered diving experience. Compressed air is pumped down through a 20 foot hose. The hose limits your depth. My understanding is that a 30 minute course is mandatory before hand but it is otherwise available to all ages. I predict that some of our kids and anyone who is nervous about Scuba would really enjoy Snuba.

Suggested Boat Mods Not Covered Above

Install a Refrigerator - It was awesome to not be worried about buying ice. We kept warm drinks on the boat and restocked the fridge every night. The next morning we had cold drinks ready to go.

Install a second bilge pump - It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to know I have doubled my pumping capacity and have a backup if things go bad.

Bring a Grill and mount it if you want to use it away from shore - We used our grill on the boat, at Honeymoon Harbor, at the infinity pool and at the condo. I recommend Magma Grills and Kuuma grills.

Install Trim Tabs - Trim tabs will soften the crossing if we have rough water. Several options are available for our boats.

Sunscreen

We brought plenty so I never looked for any on the island. But I would guess it is in short supply just like everything else. You will be out in the sun most of the day every day. If you get burned it will make the rest of the trip so much less enjoyable. So please bring plenty with you and remember to apply and reapply it. You will also want to bring your favorite product for treating the inevitable sun burn.

Taking the Ferry

FRS Caribbean has launched their new service between the Port of Miami and the ferry peer at Resorts World Bimini. They are operating a several day a week at a cost of around $190 for a less than 3 hour crossing. The route is operated by the 400 passenger, 170ft San Gwann. She is propelled by four jet drives. There are no requirements to stay at Resorts World to ride the ferry. Tickets can be booked through their website.

ferry-caribbean-san-gwann.jpg

Weather Reports

As the crossing approaches the leadership will be watching and posting on the weather. Good crossing conditions are critical for our relatively small boats. Apps such as SailFlow, BuoyWeather and WindFinder are great for summarizing the weather data. I feel that SailFlow's Miami Nearshore forecast is the most relevant for our crossing. I like to see the others confirming similar forecasts.

Here are some useful weather reports for those that are interested.

National Weather Service AMZ651 - This is North of Fort Lauderdale out to the Gulf Stream and South to the Keys
http://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=AMZ651

National Weather Servixe AMZ671 - This it the Eastern portion of the crossing including Bimini
http://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=AMZ671

Wundergroupnd AM651 Report - nicely formatted NWS data, has wave height map
https://www.wunderground.com/marine-weather/AM/651.html

Wundergroupnd AM671 Report - nicely formatted NWS data, has wave height map
https://www.wunderground.com/MAR/AM/671.html

Passage Weather - has wind and wave maps
http://passageweather.com

Weather Station PVGF1 - Port Everglades Channel - Has wind data but no wave data
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=pvgf1

Fort Lauderdale Surf Report - This should be helpful to determine what we will face leaving port.
http://magicseaweed.com/Fort-Lauderdale-Surf-Report/837/

What happens if I or the group has to cancel

This should be verified when you make your reservation but Bimini Sands reservation policy has allowed for deposit refunds up to two weeks before the start of the reservation. Up to and including the date of the reservation they credit the deposit toward a future stay within the next year.

The reservation policy at the Bahia Mar hotel will depend on how you booked your reservation.

My family does not make reservations for hotels on the tow to and from but many may have additional reservations that they could lose deposits on along the way. Our lack of reservations can make it hard to find a place to stay but also removes the stress of trying to tow a set number of miles each day.

What kind of fuel is sold in Bimini?

Oh, we got both kinds. We got gas and diesel!

Both gas and diesel are sold at Bimini Sands and Bimini Blue Water. There is only a single grade of gas available and that is whatever came on the last tanker. I have experienced prices from $4.50 to over $6.00 per gallon. @Andy S says that the price is typically $2.50 more than you pay in the US. You can charge fuel to your condo at Bimini Sands which expedites the process. In 2014 both fuel docks were out of fuel when we arrived. No fuel was available for our first 36 hours in Bimini. In 2015 and 2016 fuel has been available for the entirety of the group trip.

YOGA

Big Game Club offers YOGA classes. Prices range from $15 to $20 per person depending on how many participants.

Bimini Sands has added Yoga and Massages by the infinity pool http://www.biminihealingarts.com

Your Probability Of Having A Successful Bimini Fling is 67.5%

Dates are selected months in advance of the trip with no insight into the what the weather will be beyond a general observation that May, June and July often have the best water. JetBoaters have been going to Bimini since 2011. Over those six years one trip has been cancelled due to a tropical storm and 2016 was moved forward one day to avoid impassable water on the planned crossing day and for several days after. Almost half of the boats planning to cross in 2016 could not make the early crossing. So my calculations are that the planned Bimini flings have been 75% successful on the whole.

On an individual level one boat failed to make it out of Port Everglades in 2014 due to mechanical issues, two boats were swamped in 2015 and one boat turned back due to mechanical issues in 2016. This equates to a 90% success in crossing by the boats that started the crossing.

Combining the 75% group success rate with the 90% individual success rate any participant has a 67.5% chance of a successful Bimini trip.

You can improve your chances of having a successful Bimini Fling;
  • Having flexible travel dates increases your odds to 75%
  • Having prior saltwater experience and flexible dates increases your odds to 79%
  • Having a perfectly functioning boat, prior saltwater experience and flexible dates increases your odds to 83%

More to come ......................

Attachments

whaler7626

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce @Charles I cant wait to see this thread grow into an encyclopedia of Bimini info!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was looking through our customs paperwork and realized that the fishing regulations are on the fishing permit.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Dive Sites

I need to add more here, especially GPS coordinates but to get us started Neal Watson's Bimini Scuba Center has a new map along with descriptions online at http://www.biminiscubacenter.com/#!bimini-dive-site-map/c15hx

They have equipment rental rates online at http://www.biminiscubacenter.com/#!prices/ce0e
Nice map layout of most of the spots. They are missing two of our favorites which I have the GPS coordinates on the document attached to the first comment on the top of page one.

The ones they are missing are Three Sisters Rock which is about 100 yards south of the Road to Atlantis and the South Bimini airplane wreck which is due north of the Sapona and about 300 yards off the shoreline.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The US Embassy in Nassau lists information on traveling to Bimini at http://nassau.usembassy.gov/entry_exit_bahamas.html

Two sections of their document that we should take note of are;

Minors traveling unaccompanied or accompanied by a guardian or chaperone:

The Bahamas requires compliance with regulations to divert child abduction. Any child traveling without one of the parents as listed upon the birth certificate must have a letter from the absent parent granting permission for the child to travel. This should be sworn before a notary public and signed by the absent parent(s). If the parent is deceased a certified death certificate may be necessary.

It is advisable to have the minor carry a written notarized consent letter from both parents (if both are listed on the child’s certificate of birth) before sending your child to travel as a minor with a guardian or chaperone.

Vessels with Weapons, Firearms or Ammunition Aboard:

A pleasure vessel entering The Bahamas shall be allowed to import a maximum of three (3) firearms inclusive of handguns, rifles, and shotguns, which such calibre of firearms shall not exceed three hundred and eight (308) calibres. Two hundred fifty (250) rounds of ammunition are allowed per firearm. You must provide the serial number, name of the manufacturer, plus an exact count of ammunition. While you are allowed to have a firearm on your boat, you cannot remove it. Weapons must be under lock and key at all times. However, for opened center console vessels, if a firearm is on board such a vessel, The Royal Bahamas Police Force will detain the weapon until the vessel's departure. In cases of emergencies, which require your departure by air, you must notify Bahamian Police or Customs. They will accompany you to retrieve the firearm and present you with a receipt. Upon your return to the island, Bahamian Police or Customs will escort you to your vessel and return your firearm. Any infraction of this law will be dealt with severely and The Bahamas has recently increased both the penalties and sentencing for violators of local firearm laws.

USMCDevilDog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey Guys, how do the 190's and 192's handle crossing the open water? I saw a video on youtube of an 18' seadoo making the crossing.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey Guys, how do the 190's and 192's handle crossing the open water? I saw a video on youtube of an 18' seadoo making the crossing.
It all depends on the sea conditions. Last year we had fantastic conditions and @tim2808 crossed as well as us in 23' and 24'. However, on previous trips we have experience some 3-5' waves with an occasional 4-6' thrown in for good measure and all the boats 21' to 24' handled them just fine. To me the difficult part of crossing in a 19' would be the refuel in rough seas, otherwise the only thing that will limit you handling the rough seas is you and your crew.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard!

@tim2808 brought his 192 and enjoyed the trip last year. He is hoping to go again soon. My observation is that the 190 / 192 hull handles rough water better than the older flatter small jet boat hulls.

USMCDevilDog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good to know. Thanks guys. I'm heading to the keys in May so I likely won't make the next trip you guys have coming up, but definitely next year. This is on my bucket list. Hopefully I can convince the wife to let me upgrade at the end of the season :)

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Big Game Club has released a Bimini Fishing Calendar rating the quality of fishing per month for the various species.

Broadbill Swordfish, Blackfin Tuna, Oceanic Bonita, Bonefish, Grouper, Snapper and Barracuda should be at their peak during our July trip.

Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 10.36.11 AM.png

Greg M

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sorry for being afk for a bit... real life does that at times.

working out logistics to try to make this trip but the holiday weekend right at the time is wreckig havok lol wife is NOT happy but she said the following "its your call" So, if im going to be in a no win situation, might as well do it in bimini lol bare with me!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry for being afk for a bit... real life does that at times.

working out logistics to try to make this trip but the holiday weekend right at the time is wreckig havok lol wife is NOT happy but she said the following "its your call" So, if im going to be in a no win situation, might as well do it in bimini lol bare with me!
Not sure what your plans are for the 4th but several of us are planning to enjoy the fireworks on the beach in Fort Lauderdale. We can walk the beach from Bahai Mar to the city fireworks show. Then we should see more in Bimini on the 10th. Personally I think it will make for a great 4th!

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
how long of an extension cord do I need to charge my boat, same with the hose? is there power and a spigot at each berth?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
how long of an extension cord do I need to charge my boat, same with the hose? is there power and a spigot at each berth?
yes there is power and water at each dock, 20-30' should be sufficient. I only have one battery and I have never used shore power while there and have not had an issue but that is just me.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used shore power but only because I have a refrigerator in the boat. You will need an adaptor (listed in Shore Power section above) to plug in. The docks do not have 110 outlets. I believe I used 30' of extension cord. Bimini Sands will likely want to put us two to a dock. The power is on shore. If you are in the outside position you will need additional extension cord.

I also used a pocket hose. They are $13 at Walmart.

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also used a pocket hose. They are $13 at Walmart.
Just to be clear, there are two models of pocket hose. Black (3/4 hose with shut off valve) & Green (1/2 hose, no valve). I like the black, since the valve makes it easier when flushing motor..plus larger diameter hose :)

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
so I am reading you cannot bring fruits and vegetables to Bimini? is this true or outdated info?