• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

private lake community that does not allow jet boats

bonnes

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I own property in a private lake community that due to original rule written 25 years ago do not allow my Yamaha SX210 jet boat on the lake. Does anyone have information that I can take to the home owners association to get the restriction removed and changed to allow jet boats?

Floyd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
Can you post the original rule? I suppose the rule was written to oppose jet skis, or the big loud older jet boats....not our boats.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Welcome to the forum.
They obviously fear the older V8 jetboats with adjustable nozzle trim producing a big rooster tail and very loud. Our modern Yamaha, SeaDoo's, Glastrons etc. are a different animal. I don't know if this will help you but check out this link, https://www.boatingmag.com/boat-engine-comparison

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Perhaps show them an outboard motor that is in the jet configuration so they understand that JET can be a different animal compared to the V8 JET of 25 years ago.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad have you on board,

Since you already own the boat and the property, Have you tried to use it on the lake? Have you been told it's in violation?

Does your lake have rules against jet skis or for boat length or adding ballast for a bigger wake also?

I might be tempted to just go drop it in and run it claiming ignorance since the rule was written for an old school jet boat, they might not even notice.

I would also try to get a feel for the attitude of whoever is running the HOA/Lake, are they a bunch of crusty old fishermen who don't want their jon boats rocked or normal folks who you might have a chance at persuading a "jet boat" aint what it used to be.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad have you on board,

Since you already own the boat and the property, Have you tried to use it on the lake? Have you been told it's in violation?

Does you lake have rules against jet skis or for boat length or adding ballast for a bigger wake also?

I might be tempted to just go drop it in and run it claiming ignorance since the rule was written for an old school jet boat, they might not even notice.

I would also try to get a feel for the attitude of whoever is running the HOA/Lake, are they a bunch of crusty old fishermen who don't want their jon boats rocked or normal folks who you might have a chance at persuading a "jet boat" aint what it used to be.
I agree! No one would ever know it, as will not be shooting a rooster tail.

--

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I agree with all of the above!
  1. I'd boat with your boat on the lake for a while and see if anyone notices. If they don't - which I doubt they will, I'd not mention anything more!
  2. If someone calls you on it, plead ignorance - its a homeowners association effectively....would be interesting to see what their remediation would be.
  3. Then go to the association and ask why they are restricted and ask them to come out on your boat to determine if it passes approval.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just tell them you sold it and bought a runabout. They'll never know :D

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is it possible to share your definition of "private lake community" Is it a private community on a lake, or a community on a private lake? Meaning is there a public access to the lake?

I am assuming the first. And my next statement would not apply. As if there were a public access, the states laws would supersede the community laws and your boat would only be outlawed at the state level. Sort of like many lake associations are just guidelines, although strict and for the good of the neighbors, many times don't hold any weight in court.