• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Probably a dumb drop hitch question

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2019 Yamaha 190SX which i have towed the last 2 years with my 2018 Toyota Tacoma TRS Sport. I always used a 2" drop hitch.

Because i always like shiny new things and dont drive a terrible amount I always lease so my lease was up.

I leased a GMC Sierra 1500 AT4.

I went to measure figuring i would need a bigger drop and was surprised I would only need a 4" drop for the new truck.

Does this sound right that a Sierra AT4 with the 2" factory lift only needs another 2" drop?

I cant find anyone with a tacoma to measure theirs but the top of my received on the sierra is 21 3/4"

Please help. I want to know whether to buy the adjustable 4" or adjustable 6" hitch.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2019 Yamaha 190SX which i have towed the last 2 years with my 2018 Toyota Tacoma TRS Sport. I always used a 2" drop hitch.

Because i always like shiny new things and dont drive a terrible amount I always lease so my lease was up.

I leased a GMC Sierra 1500 AT4.

I went to measure figuring i would need a bigger drop and was surprised I would only need a 4" drop for the new truck.

Does this sound right that a Sierra AT4 with the 2" factory lift only needs another 2" drop?

I cant find anyone with a tacoma to measure theirs but the top of my received on the sierra is 21 3/4"

Please help. I want to know whether to buy the adjustable 4" or adjustable 6" hitch.
Just for reference, I'm towing with a 17 GMC 2500 and only need a 2" drop. I can't see where you would need more than a 4". I would assume that your truck can't sit much, if any higher than mine being a 1500w/+2"

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I did all the measuring on here that everyone said to do. went for a 3" drop based on recommended measurements, it was to low. ended up going with straight out. thats stock height with 33" tires. gmc sierra mine measures 18.5 to top of receiver. id get the 4.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeap, I also only run a 2" drop on a mostly stock 1500 GMC Sierra (2015 model SLT). Surprised me as well.

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you all so much. The top of my receiver was 21 3/4. I ordered the 4" drop weight safe. I don't think i need the scale but i liked the brushed aluminum look. I was looking at the B&W because the make one for the multipro tailgate, but honestly with a 4" drop i will be removing it between uses except maybe between a saturday and sunday during the summer.

Thank you again. I couldnt count on the truck forums but knew you guys would come through.

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I like to keep my hitch in for dummies in traffic that want to get to close. Protect my bumper.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like to keep my hitch in for dummies in traffic that want to get to close. Protect my bumper.
I tried that. My shins almost broke a few times, and the family learned new words to add to the vocabulary. I'm firmly in the "not in unless towing" camp now.

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
going on 4 years now with no injuries. knock on wood.