• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

ProMariner ProSport 20 on 2018 242X

Expedition_Recreation

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hey guys! Forgive me if I missed it but I have been searching for a couple hours now and cant seem to find a thread which covers exactly what I am looking for. I have decided that I like the ProSport 20 and definitely need it as my house battery is nearly dead after two days on the water. The issue is, now that I have my DVSR connected (was never installed from dealership), will this cause an issue when I use the ProSport 20? I saw several posts saying that I may need a "switch" but im not exactly sure what that is.

Additionally, I am very curious if anyone has any advice on where exactly to mount this thing on a 2018 242x. I have seen several posts on this but they were for older models or smaller models so I battery compartments looked a bit different than mind.

Thanks for the help!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a dual bank Guest charger on my 242x. The only issue that I think it was @Mainah pointed out was that since the boat has a DVSR, the dual bank charger may get confused by the DVSR switching and effectively only operate like a single bank charger. Since I always charge overnight and rarely deplete my starting battery (like never), this is an issue I deal with.

I mounted mine on the inside wall of the battery compartment. Pretty sure my 242X summary thread linked in my signature includes a photo...I'll check.....

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
OK....seems I never took one of the charger! You can just see the blue edge of it at the bottom right of this photo:

20170226_180111.jpg

Your batteries may be layed out differently. I moved mine from the stock position to put them inline to make better use of the room in that compartment (so I could add an amp).

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did we ever figure out where the soloar panel wiring. Is there a charge controller, are they run in parallel or to separate batteries, etc. i still think a dual bank charge controller should be used for the panels, a dual bank plug in for shore power. and the engine on only dvsr mod.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There is no controller and the solar panels are wired in parallel to the DSVR.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So what is the watt rating of each panel? As a general rule of thumb a lawn tractor battery needs a controller once the panel is over 5 watts and a car battery once over 10. IMO and some others cut that in half to be safe.

Assuming 15 watt or greater panels wired in parallel equaling 30 watts someone really missed the mark not adding a controller. There is the over voltage boiled electrolyte risk/negative performance impact. It will also hold the dvsr in combine mode most of the time. So with the factory recommend start and deep cycle set up two batteries of different chemistries will be combined neary all the time slowly killing the performance of each. I recommend installingthe item linked below and doing the dvsr mod for all e series if this is the case. I still recommend the dvsr mod and a shore charger for all.

EPever Dual Battery Solar Charge Controller 20A 12V 24V Duo-Battery Solar Controller... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1ZL9EK/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_lsREBbG2KKNEN

Expedition_Recreation

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the responses guys! @Julian that answers my question perfectly. I am in the same boat as you an only plan to really need to charge the House Battery so I guess a switch wouldn't be completely necessary but I guess for the sake of things, I will install one anyway to keep it working as optimally as possible. Does anyone have any recommendation on the best switch to use?

Also, I noticed that you have your charger screwed directly into carpet. I read on another forum that you should use a cutting board or something to space it out and give it some air flow. Is this true, and did you just use normal self tapping screws?

Thanks again!

Expedition_Recreation

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also @Island Jay could you confirm that the Pro Sport 20 Plus would be the best choice for my 2018 242x? It seemed to be the most popular around here but I may be wrong. I have 2 Interstate Marine Cranking Batteries which I believe are 625 MCA (24M-HD). If you could also point me in the direction of the appropriate switch for the DVSR I would be most appreciative.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The only time you want the batteries combined is when the engines are running so they can both get the benefit of being charged by the stators. Ideally batteries would be isloated 100 percent of the time. The reson why relay type isloators are used is because diode based isloators which would always keep them isloated is that diode isloators cause volatge drop of about half a volt in ones sized for alternators and about a quarter volt for ones sized for stators. If someone wanted to dump the dvsr altogether they could rewire such that one recifier was connected to the start battery and the other to the house but would mean half the ouput to the house when the start battery is already topped off.

All of this brings me to my personally practiced recommendation of the engine on mod for the dvsr, using two of the same batteries, and a dual bank charger. Still not ideal as not isloated 100 percent of the time but about as close as one is going to get without meaningful volatge drop. At least while combined with the engines on there is a fairly significant amount of juice flowing that conteracts a good part of the harm of combining.

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The prosport 20 is perfectly fine for charging and keeping the batteries topped off before going out. As long as they are the same type ( lead acid, agm, etc ) the prosport will work. Keep the combo switch away from ALL when charging with the Prosport. It would be ok, but just not ideal. The Prosport 20 is a 2 bank and the prosport plus is a 3 bank. With two batteries you only need the regular prosport 20. Now if you are charging the batteries at the dock and running the batteries at the same time, let me know. That is a different charger setup.

The need to match a charger to something is based on the batteries more so than the boat. For example, your boat with 2 batteries would be fine with a prosport. The same boat with a 3000 watt stereo system and 5 AGM deep cycles will call for another charger. Same boat, different needs. Just pointing out this because many people thing a charger is based on the boat vs the battery setup.

Expedition_Recreation

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hey @Island Jay! Thanks for getting back with me. I am not sure how I didnt notice that it was a 3 bank charger. I certainly dont need that. At the moment my batteries have not been charging at all when driving and my house battery is at 10.2 or something like that. Once I get my batteries back to full I intend on using the charger to get everything back to 100% after listening to the factory radio for a few hours each outing at the sandbars.

Would the Pro Sport 12 be a better option for my needs? It is a fair bit cheaper and if im just going to leave it plugged in over night I am not quite sure that I will even notice a difference in 12A vs 20A.

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey @Island Jay! Thanks for getting back with me. I am not sure how I didnt notice that it was a 3 bank charger. I certainly dont need that. At the moment my batteries have not been charging at all when driving and my house battery is at 10.2 or something like that. Once I get my batteries back to full I intend on using the charger to get everything back to 100% after listening to the factory radio for a few hours each outing at the sandbars.

Would the Pro Sport 12 be a better option for my needs? It is a fair bit cheaper and if im just going to leave it plugged in over night I am not quite sure that I will even notice a difference in 12A vs 20A.
If you can afford the 20, I would suggest it. If you ever upgrade to AGM's, you will be covered.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also, I noticed that you have your charger screwed directly into carpet. I read on another forum that you should use a cutting board or something to space it out and give it some air flow. Is this true, and did you just use normal self tapping screws?
I put some small plastic peg board spacers between the charger and the carpet to give it air space....and if I recall, I tied at least one mounting point into the back of the table mount....if my memory serves me correctly....or I considered that....now I'm going to have to look!

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I put some small plastic peg board spacers between the charger and the carpet to give it air space....and if I recall, I tied at least one mounting point into the back of the table mount....if my memory serves me correctly....or I considered that....now I'm going to have to look!
Link to photos of my install using spacers for airflow, as @Julian suggests: https://jetboaters.net/threads/the-official-what-did-you-do-to-your-jet-boat-today-thread.2661/page-25#post-118913

Easy, cheap, worked like a champ.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

The most likley reason your house battery is not charging when driving is that the this black wire from the DVSR was not hooked up to groud on the batteries. This has been a somewhat common miss is dealer prep. Without that wire connected the DVSR does to have a complete circuit to supply it power and the house battery will not receive a charge from the engines. This may mean that your house battery has been damaged somewhat being that discharged. This would also explain any Connext or sound system issues.

Expedition_Recreation

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you can afford the 20, I would suggest it. If you ever upgrade to AGM's, you will be covered.
Ill take your word for it and go with the 20 then @Island Jay. Any advice on which switch to use?

Got it, Thanks Julian!

Link to photos of my install using spacers for airflow, as @Julian suggests: https://jetboaters.net/threads/the-official-what-did-you-do-to-your-jet-boat-today-thread.2661/page-25#post-118913

Easy, cheap, worked like a champ.
That's Perfect! Thank you for that link @GTBRMC. I had tentatively planned on using a couple pieces of wood but those spacers look like a superior design.

The most likley reason your house battery is not charging when driving is that the this black wire from the DVSR was not hooked up to groud on the batteries. This has been a somewhat common miss is dealer prep. Without that wire connected the DVSR does to have a complete circuit to supply it power and the house battery will not receive a charge from the engines. This may mean that your house battery has been damaged somewhat being that discharged. This would also explain any Connext or sound system issues.
I was concerned about the health of the battery. The Black DVSR cable was indeed disconnected and it is connected now and has been for a couple of days but I will not be using the boat for another week or two so im hoping no more damage will be caused to the battery while its sitting idle waiting on the new charger to be installed. I guess my dealer will be needing to get a phone call soon if it turns out that the battery does have an issue.

Should the DVSR cable make a significant difference in the ability to keep the battery topped of or should I still expect it to be discharging regularly like it already has just not so badly? I was secretly hoping that the solar panel could bring it back after a few days in the sun waiting for the ProSport to be installed.

Expedition_Recreation

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also @GTBRMC would you happen to know what size screws you used? I saw you mentioned 1/2" spacers but didnt know if you remember the size screw. May save me some time at the store.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also @GTBRMC would you happen to know what size screws you used? I saw you mentioned 1/2" spacers but didnt know if you remember the size screw. May save me some time at the store.
No, sorry, that was over three years ago, I do not recall the exact size. I believe I used four stainless wood screws that fit the charger's mounting holes, through the spacers, and screwed into pilot holes I drilled directly through the carpet into the wood bulkhead.

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Expedition_Recreation No real input on your other concern. No real experience there.
To mount it, it should go to a piece of wood or fiberglass. Those get hot and can melt some rugs.