• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

ProMariner ProSport 20 plus-3 bank battery charger Issues...Solved.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We put a ProMariner ProSport 20 plus 3 bank battery charger in the Beneteau in June of 2018. It worked well to keep the batteries at full charge. The only draw on the battery system is an intermittant 5a draw from the refrigerator. Back in Sept., when I was installing the new AC shore power ckt. breaker panel, I started noticing that the 30a pedestal breaker (GFI) would trip a few minutes after turning on the battery charger. I figured I had an issue with the way I wired the new panel, but that could not be...I know wiring of AC/DC power systems. Then the charger stopped turning on. The only light on was the blue AC light and no other lights would illuminate and no system check OK. It had stopped working. My AC wiring was not the problem.

I called the 800 number in their owners manual and briefly talked to the rep. He said to try removing the battery selector cap and turn back on to see if it cycles on with the Gel battery selected vs. the lead acid that I had selected and was set like that from the factory. Upon removing the selector cap and turning the charger back on, the charger cycled on and started charging in the Gel battery profile. The company fix was to cut or grind away part of the selector cap. Since they were on the phone, no visual instructions on how to modify the cap and the Battery Charger is still under warranty, I asked for them to send me the factory fixed cap, which I recieved the next day from New Hampshire. Their new battery selector cap did the trick and the charger works great again. Here are some pictures and explainations of what I see.

The charger is in Gel charge profile with the original black cap installed, lead acid cap/screw top of pic. Gel profile, green light at bottom.
20190927_130049.jpg

The difference in the caps...The original is on the right. The new, factory fix, on left.
20191005_151731.jpg

20191005_165558.jpg
The charger is working again and was a very simple fix. Notice the red light where the battery type is, was green above. Putting this info. out there as I know there are other users here of these chargers. At least I did not have to take it out of the boat and send it away for warranty repair.

Last edited:

Blue Hawaiian

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
this post saved me CAD$ 200.00 plus tax, just cancelled the amazon order today!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Since this was dusted off yesterday, I will post an update. It has been a couple of seasons, years, since the fix. Well in Vermont, a season is only 5 months. The Promariner 20a, 3-bank has worked flawlessly. No other issues. With either this shore power charger or our solar array, the batteries are at or near 100% "state of charge", when I get to the boat.

Last edited: