• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Proper gate adjustment for Neutral?

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Both my 215's, when in neutral, had just the slightest bit of forward momentum, if anything really. I brought the HO in for it's 10 hour maintenance and the dealership told me the gate adjustments "Were WAY off" (Their words, their emphasis). They said they adjusted them properly when I picked up the boat.

I get out on the lake this weekend and now in neutral, the boat is moving forward at almost 5mph. This is making it impossible for me to start the boat at the launch, because as soon as you start one engine, the boat starts running towards the ramp before I can even get the second engine started. I can't throw it in reverse to stop it because then the second engine won't start.

This cannot be right... I know people say jet boats have creep, but this has to be excessive right? Just want to make sure before I bring it back to the dealer and tell them, you went "WAY" too far...

Thanks!

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
No creep on my 195 HOI. I would agree that 5mph in neutral is not a correct setting...

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I will say mine creeps...but not at 5mph. There should be a video something to show how to fine tune it

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I swung by the dealer yesterday evening and sat with the tech while he made some adjustments. Looks relatively simple, but unfortunately the placement of everything is very tight, including a cotter pin that has to be unbent and removed, so will not be an easy task on the water. The tech's did call Scarab and they said there's no science or correct settings to it, just have to 'adjust it until it feels right'. So we just sort of had to guess how far to dial it back then see what happens this weekend out on the water.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Interesting? I would have thought they would have put it in the water for testing before giving it back to you...

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm sure there is a proper setting. Yamaha lists the setting as a measurement of the open gap while in neutral.

This raises a question..... Does Scarab produce a shop manual?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
The gate needs to be fully out of the way for full forward throttle. Make sure of that first. Once it is back into neutral, you probably don't have a ton of adjusting you can do.

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well, unfortunately I found out there is no happy medium. The gate adjustment is done by spinning a, let's call it a key, clockwise or counter clockwise. Clockwise to drop the gate lower in neutral (Less fwd motion), counter-clockwise to raise it (More fwd motion). You can only rotate this key a full 360*. There is no semi-rotation.

So in my case, in the stock key position, the boat has too much forward momentum in neutral, but does just barely lock the gates at full throttle. One full turn Clockwise from stock position holds the boat still in neutral, but will not lock the gates at full throttle which in turn causes a pulse as the jets hit the gates wide open.

Unless there are some additional adjustments, I think I am sh*t out of luck and will have to settle for very difficult dock launches when starting the boat. Just doesn't seem right though, considering the first 9 hours of the boat it was perfect, and now it won't work in either direction. :(

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Sounds like a little project for the winter time.
Build!

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Off by one thread..... I wonder if there is an adjustment behind the throttle handle?

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm not sure. I think when the weather gets cooler, I'll drop it off to the dealership and ask them to figure it out while they take care of all the other warranty work :)

It worked before, so there must be some fine adjustment to allow it to work again!

Bweb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I no this is a old post but has anyone had any success? Just took mine out for the first time and I felt like a beginner boat driver. Felt out of control and I do not like the fact when I start the engine I have to immediately pace it in reverse. PLEASE ANY HELP???

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have not had to adjust this. You do know that the boat will never ever idle in one spot.

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Listen up Everybody (saying that nicely).....your dealer can adjust this from happening. Tell them to read the darn manual and set it accordingly! It shouldn't be just taking off. It will creep for a second at first start since the initial idle is high, but not to where you are losing control of the vehicle.

Bweb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
So called the dealer and they said you have to let it break in and it will adjust its self. I guess I will just yell while getting in the boat GET OUT OF THE WAY STARTING MY BOAT!!!! Never had this issue with my Howard.

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
So called the dealer and they said you have to let it break in and it will adjust its self. I guess I will just yell while getting in the boat GET OUT OF THE WAY STARTING MY BOAT!!!! Never had this issue with my Howard.
SMH right now---Break-in my arse! Let me know if I can help you if you're local or near by Fort Myers, FL.

Bweb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Appreciate it however I am in CA. I think I will call Scarab then try a few other dealers. Unfortunately the closes dealer is about 60 miles, and so on.

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Appreciate it however I am in CA. I think I will call Scarab then try a few other dealers. Unfortunately the closes dealer is about 60 miles, and so on.
Okay, glad to help! And, Good Luck with your search.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
normal break-in, self adjusting, what a disappointment, tell us the name of this dealer so no one goes there again,

The gate adjustment is done by spinning a, let's call it a key, clockwise or counter clockwise. Clockwise to drop the gate lower in neutral (Less fwd motion), counter-clockwise to raise it (More fwd motion). You can only rotate this key a full 360*. There is no semi-rotation.
@Ron@Scarab can you confirm the only adjustment is the "rotating the key" mentioned above

We need to get an post on this for the FAQ, the yamahas are not difficult at all to adjust,