• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Pulled the trigger on steering fins!

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just ordered a set of Cobra AK Magnums with the AK Fangs from Jeff this morning. Looking forward to getting them on my boat, though it wont be for several months. I have been considering the Cobras, or the TVs or the Hydrojets for at least a year, and only had the boat about a year and a half. It didn't take long or much research to eliminate the Hydrojets! I am sure both Jeff and Will are tired of my litany of questions. However, both have been extremely patient, and willing to help. Also, many thanks to members here that have done their reviews. They have been a great help in learning about each product. The major problem, however, is it seems that whatever system you have, you like! It is very difficult to find somebody that has had both systems, and can make on the water personal comparisons.

I still am reading questions on this forum about which is better. Because I presently have neither, I cant answer that, but I can tell you why I decided on one vs the other.

Quality: I think both are quality products and are backed up by the company. Decision - TIE

Customer service: Again, from all I have read, customer service from either Jeff or Will is probably as good or better than you will find with ANY company ANYwhere. Decision - TIE

Warranty: Both give you a 30 day return option. The TVs have a lifetime warranty. Other than the 30 day warranty on the Cobras, I did not find anything else. Decision - TV

Extended Product Protection: I could not find anything written about repair or replacement of the TVs other than for a manufacturers defect. Cobras, however, do have the extended protection plan that will repair/replace any component that gets damaged, even if it is your fault, for $49 max plus shipping. Decision - COBRA

Durability: I do think the metal products would be more durable. I accept that the material used on the TVs is very durable, as is the metal. The only issue I would have is that if the TVs truly are damaged from striking an object, I don't see a way to repair them, which means they would have to be replaced. Not an inexpensive proposition. The metal fins, if a minor strike, can certainly be straightened by the owner, or inexpensively repaired/replaced, especially with the extended product protection that Jeff provides. Decision - COBRA

Price: Both are on sale at the present time. Prices are comparable (within $20), although the price for the Cobras does include the AK Fangs and the additional steering rod....so price wise I think the Cobras are a better deal. Decision - COBRA

Slow speed maneuvering: From what I have read, both do an outstanding job of enhancing the slow speed maneuvering ability of my 242. Decision - TIE

Maintaining original Jet Boat handling at speed. Because the TVs move up and out of the way above plane speed, there appears to be no difference with or without the TVs. The Cobras stay in the water at all times so high speed handling is different with the Cobras installed than with the boat strictly OEM. Decision TV

Straight tracking at speed: Again, based on reading and research, the Cobras tend to keep the boat on a more stable heading at speed, although the difference is not as great with the newer models that have the new hulls with the keel and the articulating keel. Not to mention more response and maneuverability when throttled down. Decision - COBRA

Ease of installation: Simply because of less parts, the TVs would appear to be less of and effort and take less time. Decision - TV

Maneuverability in reverse: This is not quite black and white. I have read that the AK fangs do give some help in reverse, but not nearly as much and the newer version fangs, however they are considerably more in price. The TVs have little to no reverse affect, However there is now available the lateral thrust vectors, but they are expensive. Since the reversing aspect is not a major factor in my decision, I have to give this to Cobra, since they do provide some degree of reverse assist. Decision COBRA

All of the above decisions were based what I personally was looking for, and what I was able to determine from product research and personal reviews. so they should not be taken as scientific or factual. If you disagree, you are obviously welcome to comment. So I went the the Cobras. I have found that, for me, it came down to, not an issue of product quality or customer service, but more about what I felt I wanted from the product. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, both products appear to have a niche and perform as advertised.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Very helpful research and assessment. Many thanks.

Two questions:
- what year is your boat? Do you have the articulating keel?
- what’s the primary reason you’re buying finns, if it’s not for reversing?

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
2016 242 Limited SE with articulating keel

Although I am not totally dissatisfied with the slow speed controllability, I would like more. All the comments from users say that overcontrolling with the fins in not an issue. I wanted the wife and kids to be able to drive the boat also. I also like the idea of real stability at high speed and being actually able to steer when throttling back to idle from speed.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just ordered a set of Cobra AK Magnums with the AK Fangs from Jeff this morning. Looking forward to getting them on my boat, though it wont be for several months. I have been considering the Cobras, or the TVs or the Hydrojets for at least a year, and only had the boat about a year and a half. It didn't take long or much research to eliminate the Hydrojets! I am sure both Jeff and Will are tired of my litany of questions. However, both have been extremely patient, and willing to help. Also, many thanks to members here that have done their reviews. They have been a great help in learning about each product. The major problem, however, is it seems that whatever system you have, you like! It is very difficult to find somebody that has had both systems, and can make on the water personal comparisons.

I still am reading questions on this forum about which is better. Because I presently have neither, I cant answer that, but I can tell you why I decided on one vs the other.

Quality: I think both are quality products and are backed up by the company. Decision - TIE

Customer service: Again, from all I have read, customer service from either Jeff or Will is probably as good or better than you will find with ANY company ANYwhere. Decision - TIE

Warranty: Both give you a 30 day return option. The TVs have a lifetime warranty. Other than the 30 day warranty on the Cobras, I did not find anything else. Decision - TV

Extended Product Protection: I could not find anything written about repair or replacement of the TVs other than for a manufacturers defect. Cobras, however, do have the extended protection plan that will repair/replace any component that gets damaged, even if it is your fault, for $49 max plus shipping. Decision - COBRA

Durability: I do think the metal products would be more durable. I accept that the material used on the TVs is very durable, as is the metal. The only issue I would have is that if the TVs truly are damaged from striking an object, I don't see a way to repair them, which means they would have to be replaced. Not an inexpensive proposition. The metal fins, if a minor strike, can certainly be straightened by the owner, or inexpensively repaired/replaced, especially with the extended product protection that Jeff provides. Decision - COBRA

Price: Both are on sale at the present time. Prices are comparable (within $20), although the price for the Cobras does include the AK Fangs and the additional steering rod....so price wise I think the Cobras are a better deal. Decision - COBRA

Slow speed maneuvering: From what I have read, both do an outstanding job of enhancing the slow speed maneuvering ability of my 242. Decision - TIE

Maintaining original Jet Boat handling at speed. Because the TVs move up and out of the way above plane speed, there appears to be no difference with or without the TVs. The Cobras stay in the water at all times so high speed handling is different with the Cobras installed than with the boat strictly OEM. Decision TV

Straight tracking at speed: Again, based on reading and research, the Cobras tend to keep the boat on a more stable heading at speed, although the difference is not as great with the newer models that have the new hulls with the keel and the articulating keel. Not to mention more response and maneuverability when throttled down. Decision - COBRA

Ease of installation: Simply because of less parts, the TVs would appear to be less of and effort and take less time. Decision - TV

Maneuverability in reverse: This is not quite black and white. I have read that the AK fangs do give some help in reverse, but not nearly as much and the newer version fangs, however they are considerably more in price. The TVs have little to no reverse affect, However there is now available the lateral thrust vectors, but they are expensive. Since the reversing aspect is not a major factor in my decision, I have to give this to Cobra, since they do provide some degree of reverse assist. Decision COBRA

All of the above decisions were based what I personally was looking for, and what I was able to determine from product research and personal reviews. so they should not be taken as scientific or factual. If you disagree, you are obviously welcome to comment. So I went the the Cobras. I have found that, for me, it came down to, not an issue of product quality or customer service, but more about what I felt I wanted from the product. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, both products appear to have a niche and perform as advertised.
@captras so - did you get the MEGA fangs? THose make a big difference IMO, especially in reverse.
I bet you will love the system - the feeling of Gs in turns with those fins down is unique in my experience with boating, the boat starts feeling a bit like riding a roller-caster.
I would also look into doing the @gmtech16450yz intake grate mod, while you on it. It's fairly strait forward and makes the turns even sharper as the boat bleeds less speed.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2016 242 Limited SE with articulating keel

Although I am not totally dissatisfied with the slow speed controllability, I would like more. All the comments from users say that overcontrolling with the fins in not an issue. I wanted the wife and kids to be able to drive the boat also. I also like the idea of real stability at high speed and being actually able to steer when throttling back to idle from speed.
I think they will like those new mods a lot. I know my wife does.

(just remember to wear that darned lanyard when playing around..., LOL)

--

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@captras so - did you get the MEGA fangs? THose make a big difference IMO, especially in reverse.
I bet you will love the system - the feeling of Gs in turns with those fins down is unique in my experience with boating, the boat starts feeling a bit like riding a roller-caster.
I would also look into doing the @gmtech16450yz intake grate mod, while you on it. It's fairly strait forward and makes the turns even sharper as the boat bleeds less speed.

--
I did not get the Mega Fangs. The reverse is not that important to me...I have become pretty good at maneuvering in reverse with nothing, and have read where the AK Fangs to assist, so I opted not to spend the additional money.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Unless the cobra fins for boats with articulating keels do not share the same design as those for boats with articulating keels, You should be able to set your new cobra fins to rise up out of the water at speed, the fangs are in a fixed position but I’m not sure much, if any, of their surface area is in the water when the boat is on plane.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
From all I have seen and read, the new style Magnums are fixed. You can adjust how low they are but there are no springs to allow them to raise up at speed. Part of what some like about them is the fact that they are full time fins that work both at slow speed and when on plane.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maintaining original Jet Boat handling at speed.
Regarding that, Yamaha no longer builds a boat with the old jet boat feel, every one they make now has a keel and a rudder, especially the new 2015+ 240/242 hulls - there is not way to slide those sideways or do 360s even without the fins.

And yes, you are correct, the AK systems are fixed (down at no wake and at speed) albeit there is a fairly large adjustable range - you can set the amount of "influence" up to your liking.

Me... liking lots and lots of Gs, LOL. (fins down all the way)

Please also keep in mind the keel and rudder is still the lowest point of your hull, the fins - even when setup "down all the way" are still about a foot above the bottom edge of the rudder.

--

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That is a con in my opinion but only because i like having the option of having them always deployed or only deployed at low speeds.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes as @swatski said I make the set for the articulating keel 24 and 21 foot boats work all the time for a good reason the huge keel down the center of the hull, something your boat does not have.
If your boat had that huge keel down the center making it resist turning at speed and it had the rack and pinion helm that required twice the input to move the steering as the setup you have on your boat I suspect you may have a totally different opinion of having full time steering, it is designed to meet the needs of the particular hull and again as @swatski mentioned Yamaha has abandoned the old jet boat style and replaced it with keels and rudders on ALL their new boats so the new boats have a different set of needs than the earlier type like yours.
But as you stated my ultimates are capable of doing both and I am capable of producing sets for those new boat models that would also do both but it just makes no sense to have part time steering on a hull that comes with full time steering already from the factory , it just needs BETTER full time steering. So why add more parts and more costs to the equation If it is not something that would really serve a purpose? Thus the model specific steering systems that I build are designed to meet the needs of a particular model!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is a con in my opinion but only because i like having the option of having them always deployed or only deployed at low speeds.
I would think the Ultimates plus Fangs are still the best system for all the older (non-AK) boats. Once you step up to the 2015+ 24' hull with the articulating keel (AKA "rudder", LOL) - with the steering rod(s) - the Ultimates can not be used, and that's where the AK Magnums come in handy.

Given that "old jet boat feel" is completely lost in a stock AK 24' boat I feel a "down-all-the-time" fin system has no real disadvantage (that I can think of).

EDIT: I just saw Jeff's response above, LOL - I feel dumb - I think I just said the same thing...

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Now really just think about something logical ,when I started making jet boat steering it was for people like myself that did not like the JET BOAT FEEL or lack of control in jet boats is a better way to say why I built my first steering in 2001, it had duel rudders and tie rods from the nozzle to the rudders and my boat went from a horror story to being totally unbelievable fun.
I took a risk but I truly hated the boat as it was stock I drove it for about a minute or two and put it back on the trailer saying boy did I screw up, and quite honestly if I had not made that first mistake of buying a jet boat without trying it out first there would be about 10,000 Yamaha jet boats that would never have had my steering added. So back when I did the first one it was for me. but it was so impressive I expanded the idea over time into 3 BIG us patents and a 4th pending.
I honestly believe the prop boaters thought jet boats were just toys like jet skies were, No real practical use for them and they said things like that all the time even the N A D A boat value web site lists them under the P W C category.
Now oddly jet boat companies were going down steadily.
The jet boat steering was the main reason people did not take them seriously.
So along comes Cobra Jet Steering with a simple bolt on fix and it became a solution to a problem that made the boats more of a family boat, once you can count on your boat to steer you can do a lot with it and jet boats are less maintenance and less expensive so more people can enjoy the water in a jet boat and more people can drive the things.
This is all things I have said before, jet boats are becoming a serious contender as an all around fun cost effective pleasure boat and I will never believe that the addition of a better steering system did not play a huge part in that.
I have heard these words so many times before Yamaha put any extra steering on their boats from people who just purchased a new jet boat and hated how it handled, " IF YOUR STEERING DOES NOT SOLVE THE LACK OF STEERING PROBLEM WITH MY NEW BOAT, I AM SELLING IT AND I DO NOT CARE HOW MUCH MONEY I LOOSE!"
Time and time again I heard that so it told me the steering deficit in jet boats was their demise! Now Yamaha is addressing this but other boat manufacturers will need to follow suit .

USN SCPO RET

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have to tell ya...I really like my 242LS set up...Cobra AK Magnums with the AK Fangs. We've run them for one season and are completely happy with them.

M2C

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have to tell ya...I really like my 242LS set up...Cobra AK Magnums with the AK Fangs. We've run them for one season and are completely happy with them.

M2C
I would consider upgrading to MEGA Fangs, I have seen only benefits, primarily in reverse. I don't know exactly how much Jeff charges right now, but it is NOT an expensive upgrade and well worth it IMO!

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would first say thank you for posting up your experience @USN SCPO RET I appreciate your feedback, and since you are happy with this setup if it aint broke don't fix it, I redesigned the mega fangs to meet the needs of people who wanted even more influence in reverse and more power steering effect to exceed what was already available and provide it in a fashion that people were accustom to using.
I always look forward to feedback from customers .
I guess it's my baby so I take it seriously. It was not something I went into to talk people into buying something they did not really have a need for .
I make a lot of steering systems that are multi functional with the understanding that everyone is different and so are their boating preferences.
I try to address those needs in an affordable and practical way. I am always happy to hear I have met those needs and improved someone's boating experience. So with that said I believe you have the system that works for your needs and I achieved my goal there. So thanks again for your feedback.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@USN SCPO RET - well, what can I say - this forum is out of control!

And you know it when a vendor needs to step in to stop some members from trying to spend your money!!!

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

USN SCPO RET

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I suppose I need to look into the "Mega Fang"

Hmmm...I have a feeling its gonna cost me more money...imagine that!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I just returned from picking up another order of those as I was sold out but not anymore!!! See the sale pricing 20 percent off for members while it lasts. These will work on Ultimates Magnum A K and stock nozzles with no steering added or other types of steering if you want some real nicely enhanced TRUE reverse with POWER steering , the price varies from system depending on if you already have the base with the 4 small holes for mounting these on your existing ultimate steering system or if you need the bases and locking tabs and hardware to add them to a stock nozzle, other steering systems or the magnum A K systems.