• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Purchase comparison '11 AR240 vs '14 212x

HulkCK25

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello all,

I am in the market for a used boat and this time around I am thinking about a jet boat opposed to an outboard. My first boat we have outgrown (18' OB-CC) as a family and are looking for something bigger. I am interested in two boats on the market, as mentioned in the title, 2011 AR240 - 200+hrs, the other being a 2014 212x - 50hrs.

From a few hours of research on this site it appears worst-case scenario for the 2011 AR240 I would run into is the oil cooler bolt shearing off and dealing with that (if it is an early model, I'll be wise to look for the arrow and updated bolt). As long as the oil cooler housing isn't cracked, this fix if needed doesn't appear all that bad for folks who are mechanically inclined. If it is cracked I would walk away from the boat.

As far as the 2014 - 212x boat appears it could have the dreaded Timing Chain failure down the road since it falls into a specific year range; which is clearly something no one wants to deal with. Doesn't appear Yamaha issued any recall for the TC and I doubt I could get a warranty for the engines. I almost feel like to stay away from Yamaha all together because of this. For some reason, I am still drawn to this boat to put it on the list of ones to look at.

Both separate discussions on this forum for these topics were from several years ago, so I am wondering what else mechanically has the potential for being an issue with either boat?

Background:
Both boats have been stored indoors while not in use which is a plus, and the AR240 owner has great detail on the care/maintenance/and oil changed annually, which the 212x appears to lack; didn't sound like an oil change had even been done, but with so low hours, with 6years passing and no oil change hard to say the condition of the engine? The AR240 100% freshwater, whereas the 212x 100% saltwater.

Asking price is roughly the same for both, each has pros/cons to the boat features/functionality as a whole and either boat works well for my needs. With the knowledge on this forum, I am curious if there is something I am missing; or if others have thoughts in general to the comparison which may be a better buy?

My gut is saying to thoroughly look over the AR240/ (include water test) and forget about looking at the 212x as it could potentially be more of a headache down the road.

Thanks!

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are far more knowledgable people than I on here, but I hope I can provide some useful advice as a recent buyer, last summer, of a 2011 SX240.

I think you should decide what size boat is right, then look for ones in your budget. I’d be concerned that if your 18’ is too small going up to a 21’ may not be enough. I think the well documented history of service for the AR240 is a great selling point. My boat was a resell from the original dealer and they were able to provide a complete service history from annual maintenance and winterization to replacing the rubber latch for the transom ladder. Without that for the 212 I’d ask myself how well the boat was cleaned and maintained in its salt water environment.

As for the 2011 xx240, I thought my SX240 was a really good first boat. I felt more comfortable with the size and stability it provided over a 19’ boat, having a head compartment was a selling point to the family, 2 engines and 50 gal fuel tank provided power, redundancy, and reasonable fuel costs. After I bought the boat and met the owner of the marina he was telling me it was a great first boat (for what it is worth) as It was so well maintained, not excessively used (~250 hrs) nor abused I hope this is helpful to you.

Tim