• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Purchased an old 03 SR230 Gem

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Hey everyone,

I’ve been looking to get into the yammy jet boat gang and debated new and used for a while and stumbled across an 03 Yamaha SR230. The hull looks to be in great condition for 9k, both engines fired up quickly when we went to look at it. I put a deposit down and I’m supposed to pick it up this weekend.

I’m a long-time researcher of the Yamaha jet boat, and we’ve been looking at new ones, but I think this will be a great starter boat for my wife and I and give me something to tinker with. Other than cosmetic stuff, sea-def, maybe a wrap, and stereo are all things I plan to upgrade. What engine/performance/maintenance things should I check first ?? The guy who is single owner guesses it has 200 hrs on it. I’ve heard there is a way to check? Any other things I should look for?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad to have you on board,
Do you have the 2-stroke engine ?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @Jeffthomas6ft7 and congrats on your, "new to you" boat.
First things I would consider doing is:
1) Replace the plastic scupper valve with an Attwood stainless steel model. The plastic ones are below the waterline and are known to break with little or no warning.
2) Change spark plugs. These are common trouble spots for these motors. Careful when removing plug #3 on each motor as they can snap off.
3) Change oil & filter. These motors are commonly overfilled. On a cold motor, boat sitting level, the oil should be no higher than L on the dipstick. If you find the oil very high smell it for signs of gas or water if oil is milky.
4) Open the air box and inspect the air filters for oil contamination. The filters will be damaged if the oil was previously overfilled.

First time with a boat or a jetboat? Take your time and practice. Do not invite a load of friends of family out until you're comfortable handling your new boat.

I know this sounds like a lot but these are common issues we are asked about from new owners and a couple of these issues were mine when I was new. Don't be afraid to post questions or concerns here as we've all been there. Now we're here ready to help.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
update you profile with your location so we know where you're at,

you can take it to a PWC shop and have them read the hours and any engine codes for you or buy a YDS unit and do it yourself,

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like hes in NC. theres a pretty good group of us 230 people here in NC. Where in NC are you?

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Winston Salem area. We’re weekend warriors so we’ll be heading to all the local lakes, and down to the intracoastal from time to time.

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Winston Salem area. We’re weekend warriors so we’ll be heading to all the local lakes, and down to the intracoastal from time to time.
Theres a NC jet boat meetup happening this Saturday at falls lake.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And probably someone with a yds to read your hours

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Test drove the boat today... My main concerns are that the starboard engine is running about 1000 rpms lower than the port engine...? Not sure which one to worry over? Also there is a distinct rattle at idle speed that sounds awful. Dont think thats normal either.... The rattle goes away once you get underway, it still planes quickly, but only saw top end speed of 35mph.... when i was expecting close to 50mph.... The throttles also seemed to need tightening, i had to keep my hand on them almost at all times for fear of one slipping. it only slipped once though... I kept the port engine throttled lower to try and maintain sync between the two engines which isnt optimal for long term use either...

Any help guys? Hope im not screwed, im getting it looked at by a local jet ski mechanic tomorrow but just trying to get some ideas.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
These MR-1 engines are very sensative about spark plugs. That's why, in my earlier, long rambling reply I mentioned replacing the spark plugs. Hopefully that will resolve the 1k difference in RPMs.

I believe the rattling sound is a swollen impeller liner or bad impeller bearing. Determine which engine it's coming from then, with engine stopped, carefully inspect that impeller and liner for signs that the impeller is hitting the liner. There should be clearance between the impeller and liner all around. Feel the edges of the impeller with your fingers to see if there are any rolled edges or burrs on the impeller edges which would indicate contact with the liner.

If there are no signs of impeller/liner contact it could be a cone bearing. You would need to pull the pump assembly out in order to remove the cone housing the bearing. If there is water intrusion in the cone you likely have to replace the bearings. Was this a salt water boat?

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
These MR-1 engines are very sensative about spark plugs. That's why, in my earlier, long rambling reply I mentioned replacing the spark plugs. Hopefully that will resolve the 1k difference in RPMs.

I believe the rattling sound is a swollen impeller liner or bad impeller bearing. Determine which engine it's coming from then, with engine stopped, carefully inspect that impeller and liner for signs that the impeller is hitting the liner. There should be clearance between the impeller and liner all around. Feel the edges of the impeller with your fingers to see if there are any rolled edges or burrs on the impeller edges which would indicate contact with the liner.

If there are no signs of impeller/liner contact it could be a cone bearing. You would need to pull the pump assembly out in order to remove the cone housing the bearing. If there is water intrusion in the cone you likely have to replace the bearings. Was this a salt water boat?

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I was told it was not a salt water boat, the previous owner had it on a lift and lived at the lake. However, the ride plate and jet nozzle, reverse bucket all show signs of a corrosion-like look to them. Could be from sitting in the water for some time? Or salt water. Has anyone ever painted those just for the look? Or just hit it with a metal brush and coat it with something ??

Dropped it off at the mechanic today, gave him a list, I’ll post what the results are when I hear. Definitely getting oil change and spark plugs changed. Then checking out the bearings/impeller. Those are priority. Just want to get it running well and not dump a bunch of money in a 2003 boat....

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Took the maiden voyage today! After we got both engines serviced; new plugs, oil change, and a cam sensor code came up and replaced it with a good used one.

Boat ran perfect, screamed at 10,200 rpms at around 46 mph, full of gas with the Bimini up. Not complaining a bit for this 2003 boat. Thanks for all the tips guys. I think I’m going to keep her for a few years and maybe fix her up a little 👌

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Took the maiden voyage today! After we got both engines serviced; new plugs, oil change, and a cam sensor code came up and replaced it with a good used one.

Boat ran perfect, screamed at 10,200 rpms at around 46 mph, full of gas with the Bimini up. Not complaining a bit for this 2003 boat. Thanks for all the tips guys. I think I’m going to keep her for a few years and maybe fix her up a little 👌
Great news @Jeffthomas6ft7. Be careful running with the bimini up as they do have a speed limit. I believe my SX230 manual states 40 mph. The strap broke on mine at 25 mph a few years ago. Now I keep it under 30 mph. As I remember the SR 230s didn't come with a bimini. Yours must be an aftermarket?