• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Purchasing a boat in Minnesota in February

Tomk1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi, New member here.
Will be looking at and hope to purchase a 2008 SX210 this weekend. Boat is located in northern Wisconsin.
Boat is privately owned and currently stored at a non-Yamaha boat dealer. This dealer has done all of the service work for the past few years, mainly oil changes and winterizing. What checks or tests should I ask for in a pre-purchase?
Should a compression check be done? If so, what numbers should I look for?
Thanks for your guidance!

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Depends ... If this is your 1st time purchasing a used boat, IMO you should have an experienced marine surveyor inspect the boat with you. The surveyor inspection should include a compression test.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
First of all, good luck with the purchase!

For boat purchases, they really aren't much different than any used vehicle purchase, a boat is not much different. In the end make sure you are comfortable with the mechanical operation of the engines and other systems (fuel, steering, electrical, etc.), and the overall condition of the boat (interior in good clean shape, all cushions in place, all cockpit features are operational, etc).

Being the dead of winter around here (I'm in MN too), obviously a water test won't be happening. If everything else checks out, maybe see if they will agree to the final sale being contingent on a successful water test? If that's not possible for whatever reason, there is no reason why you shouldn't ask for each engine to be run on the hose for a 5-10 mins each. That should show any potential problems and ensure that at least the engines are in good running condition and sound good when running. If any issue are found/heard a compression test is probably a smart next step, or just walk away from it and find another boat. In general, this year/model boat is very popular, so really any issues you run into will have been addressed by someone on this forum, so support is out there when you need it.

Overall some specific things to look for on that model that I can think of off the top of my head:
  • Check the scupper in the rear of the hull, if it's plastic, that likely will need to be replaced with a new one (stainless steel preferably) as they are prone to cracking and leaking.
  • Check all cushions top/bottom/sides for damage or wear. Repairs aren't all that difficult for any vinyl shop to do, but they can be costly.
  • Check the steering to make sure it's functioning without any sort of binding when turning the steering wheel, a few people have had to replace steering cables and I think this age might be in range for needing that at some point.
  • Since the marina is not a Yamaha shop, they might not have the ability to pull the hours from the engine. This year boat does not have engine hour meters, so the only way to verify the hours is to get a YDS cable and diagnostic software to pull the info from the ECU. Some have put on aftermarket hour meters, so the accuracy might not be 100% depending on when they were installed. Do some searching here for details, I personally have never used one.
Maybe someone else with a 21' 2008 can chime in to offer advice of specific things to look for...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Be sure to read the checklist FAQ

I would want a compression test and the numbers for sure. I'd also want to see the results of a YDS engine read to know how many hours (and in what RPM ranges) the boat was used. It will also show any faults the engines have thrown (unless the dealer clears them) - for example over heats. If a boat has been run 50% of the time full throttle...that would be a red flag.

Then don't be afraid to crawl all over (and UNDER) it to look for damage.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Did you purchase the boat? If so and you still need to read the diagnostics, I can help with that if you live near the Rochester, MN area.