• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Purchasing an '09 212x, nervous about being able to surf!

RXBoost

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hi all,

I have spent hours reading these great forums for some answers on surfing. I am trading my 01 Glastron for an 09 212x. We definitely want to be able to surf, but I am nervous about being able to do it without spending thousands of $$ to be able to do it. 99% of the time it is just my wife and I on the boat. I was really excited to see the release of the wakebooster, but now I see it won't be compatible with this year boat. Both the TVWake and Wake Wedge look promising, but most of the pics/videos I see of these also have transom bags/locker bags/ bags everywhere to help with the wake. I have surfed behind an X15 before, and I have no expectation that this will be even close, so I am okay with that. Am I barking up the wrong tree in trying to surf behind an 09 without purchasing more than just the WW or TVWake?

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Your going to need the transom bag, but it’s definitely doable. We have a 15 212x and surf all the time. Our set up is touch over stock bags under both starboard and port seats (400# each) and custom transom bag. We have a ski locker bag but rarely use it unless we only have a few people with... like driver spotter and surfer. 6851CD55-8076-4594-94DD-5C181196CCC9.jpeg

That’s our wave with that setup

*edit. We don’t have any kind of wave shaper (wedge tvwake or booster)

RXBoost

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Nate,

Thanks for the response. That wake is pretty impressive for not having a wave shaper. Do you have some form of cruise control?

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes I have the older styler perfect pass with the servo motors. For our setup we set it at 10.3 the with a thumbs up or down small adjustments for the rider until they fee the push or enough push ect

I think ridesteady was available when I got my perfect pass, but don’t know much about it... that looks hands down better than the perfect pass system I have, but I can’t complain too much perfect pass does everything it should, ridesteady just has a few more features.

We use cruise control almost all the time between cruising, surfing or even tubing. My daughter is 7 so she’s not looking for a crazy ride yet 🤣

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have the same boat just a year older and in my opinion, at this time, you do not need more ballast than the factory set up. However I feel you will have to place valves on the ballast fill lines to separate the two tanks. This can be done with manual valves or you can automate it. I would also recommend the Gantlin Wake Wedge for your boat. It has done much to help clean the wake on these older X's. You do not need any cruise control because it is relatively easy to maintain surf speeds. One other recommendation is to find a few friends:). With the 400 lbs in the port ballast you will need an additional 500-600 lbs of people to get it to lean enough.

Here is a video of me on a river 4.5 feet deep with the above set up. You won't be doing crazy tricks but you can get started and see if you want to add more ballast.

RXBoost

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for the video! So you've got the ballasts separated? Is the wake better than that in deeper water?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The deeper the water the better the wave.

RXBoost

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Can anyone confirm that the wakebooster will not work on a boat this old? What I was reading was its only like MY 15+ I think.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The newer boats are flat under the swim platform allowing the Wake Booster to fit snugly. My 2008 is rounded and will not allow it to fit.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@RXBoost I placed normally open valves on the lines going to the tanks. I just hit a switch to close the one I do not want to fill. You have to monitor the fill rate of the one you are adding to as the pump is timed to fill both.

Yes in deeper water the wake is a bit better. And adding ballast does help some. I just wanted you to know that you can get enough push from the wave to surf with a reasonable investment.