• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Question about 7pin vs 4 pin trailer connector

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, I've been looking for a 2nd Gen Lexus LX470 for use as a tow rig for my 2020 AR190. The stock Shorelandr trailer that came with my boat has a 7pin connector and I believe if the Lexus LX470's had a tow package, it would be a 4 pin connector. Would using a 7pin to 4 pin adaptor work and still retain all the functions of the 7pin harness from the trailer? I'm not certain what the extra 3 pins are responsible for - perhaps the brakes? If so, would the adaptor still be able to control the brakes? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So, I've been looking for a 2nd Gen Lexus LX470 for use as a tow rig for my 2020 AR190. The stock Shorelandr trailer that came with my boat has a 7pin connector and I believe if the Lexus LX470's had a tow package, it would be a 4 pin connector. Would using a 7pin to 4 pin adaptor work and still retain all the functions of the 7pin harness from the trailer? I'm not certain what the extra 3 pins are responsible for - perhaps the brakes? If so, would the adaptor still be able to control the brakes? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
The Lexus should have the round 7 pin. You need the 5th wire to release your trailer brakes when you try to back up.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Lexus should have the round 7 pin. You need the 5th wire to release your trailer brakes when you try to back up.
So the 2002 Lexus I’m considering doesn’t have a factory tow hitch installed - I’ll have to purchase one and install but from what I’ve read, the harness adaptor that the 2002 Lexus LX470s have is for a 4 pin. Can’t get a straight answer on this though. So my question is that if it is indeed a 4 pin connector on the car, would an adaptor from 4pin to 7pin not work correctly to activate the brakes?

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So the 2002 Lexus I’m considering doesn’t have a factory tow hitch installed - I’ll have to purchase one and install but from what I’ve read, the harness adaptor that the 2002 Lexus LX470s have is for a 4 pin. Can’t get a straight answer on this though. So my question is that if it is indeed a 4 pin connector on the car, would an adaptor from 4pin to 7pin not work correctly to activate the brakes?
4 pin would not work. You need a 5 pin, the 5th pin is tapped into your reverse lights and the signal locks out your surge brakes on the trailer so they don’t stop the trailer when you try to back up.
You would not need a full 7 pin as the last two are for electric brake control and auxiliary 12v power, neither of which are needed for a boat.
I’m assuming 19ft boat trailers have surge brakes too - if you don’t then you’d be ok with 4 pin.
If you are mechanically inclined the ih8mud.com forum for LX470 & 100 series land cruisers is a good source for info. Otherwise find a reputable independent shop and it shouldn’t be that expensive since they just have to add 1 wire.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks man! I appreciate the clarification.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Just to clarify, the 4 to 7-pin would work, you just wouldn't have automatic reverse lockout and would have to manually put the reverse lockout key pin in place to back up. My SUV came with just a 4-pin too but I cut it off and re-wired it to a 7-pin socket and use a magnetic lockout key. I could have added the reverse lockout, but didn't want to drill a hole through the floor to feed a wire. Works perfectly with the lockout key, but you have to remember to remove the key or you won't have surge brakes when you drive down the road!
:D

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you are going to pay to have an adapter installed on the Lexus, just have them add the 7 pin round one. Its just wires. The only issue would be if it would attach....if not then just have them put in a 5 flat and use an adapter or just change the round to flat on the trailer.