• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Question about the new Snap in full boat Sea Dek Yamaha uses in their new boats.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Curious to hear from some of you that have a few of the newer Yamaha jet boats that went away from carpet and are now using snap in seadeck. How does this compare with seadek full kit boats that are glued in (Jet boat pilot etc. )

Does the Yamaha snap in stuff do the job fully and no need for the glued in stuff anymore?

Carpet stinks when wet, it gets yellow underneath and all slick and grimy, also it stays wet for hours and hours sometimes. And your feet can be hot walking on the carpet on a hot sunny day.

Yamaha Snap in seadek looks great but curious if any or all of these issues go away with snap in. Does it dry quick, does it need to be removed to dry or just dries way easier than the carpet does even without removing? Does it stink when staying wet without removing out of boat? Is it hot on feet?

Thanks all just curious how good this stuff is and advantages and disadvantages of snap in vs regular carpet vs full jetboatpilot glued in seadek.

Thanks!

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I dont have it... I have an AR230. Would love to see a snap in seadek option for the older boats. because its removable it would be less segmented like the snap in carpets.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
From my experience with the snap in pads I can tell you that the temperatures will be similar to your carpet. The upside is that the mats won't absorb water so they can be cooled instantly by throwing a bit of water on them. The down side is that you have to remove them to clean underneath from time to time. This is one of the two main reasons I got into the SeaDek business. I hated stubbing my toes on the snaps when the carpets were not in the boat and I really did not have time after a long day on the water to do another chore. It was about minimizing effort and maximizing enjoyment. Stick down is still the only business we're in due to to those factors. Nothing wrong with the OEM version, but from a user standpoint I'd personally prefer the stick down.

Also one thing I'd like to hear from users is if they've seen any issues with buckling or a waviness in the pads during high or low temperature days. EVA foam expands and contracts quite a bit with temperature changes and I've seen several boats at shows that appeared to have pads which were warped looking. With higher temps the pads tend to expand and with cooler temps the pads tend to contract.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My '17 came with the factory snap-in pads and I love them! We haven't had much issues with the surface getting too hot in the direct sun. My boat is stored in my garage and I haven't removed the pads to dry them or under them after each use and I've had no issues with mold. I think having removable mats is better because you can maintain the fiberglass underneath and ensure there's no deck rot occurring due to trapped moisture underneath.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I love my snap in pads also!! When hitting the river and I know I am going to get sand in the boat, out come the pads. Lake boating, in go the pads.

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sooooooo When we going to get some snap in pads for the AR230 @JetBoatPilot ? I'm more than willing to be the guinea pig. Personally the idea of having a larger more continuous pad in the cockpit that i can remove when i need to access the gas tank lid...

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Limited experience, but have not noticed any temperature difference between the glue down material on my swim platform, and the snap-in material in the boat. If/when it needs to be replaced, I'll likely go to gluedown everywhere just to make cleaning easier.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wonder if the new snap in sea dek on 2018 SX210 would retrofit and fit perfect in my 2015 SX210 boat and what cost would be? Anyone looked into this?

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
We like our snap in pads. Haven't noticed any waviness from temp changes.

Last edited:

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Called Yamaha they said snap setup is different from older boats to newer boats and carpet layout is a little Different. Bummer

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Still curious how those of you with the new snap seadek are liking it for when new boat time comes

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Called Yamaha they said snap setup is different from older boats to newer boats and carpet layout is a little Different. Bummer
If the floor layout is the same, you could remove the snaps on the boat, fill with 5200, and install new snaps in the same layout as the new. But for all that work, I'd just get the gluedown stuff.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I suffered through that crap they call snap-in carpet last season. In my 09, I had true carpet and it wasn't bad. The new-design stuff is made to look like Sea-Dek, but it much cheaper and a pain as it simply does not breathe. Any moisture that gets under that stuff means removing it and letting it dry...lest it mold. It seemed like all I did last season as remove carpet at the end of a trip, hang dry it and then put it all back in.

I didn't notice any temp difference between the SeaDek on the back porch and inside the boat...but don't ya dare step on a snap top that's been sitting in the hot July sun for a little while.

I'm so glad I have SeaDek to install when the boat comes out of storage in another month.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I suffered through that crap they call snap-in carpet last season. In my 09, I had true carpet and it wasn't bad. The new-design stuff is made to look like Sea-Dek, but it much cheaper and a pain as it simply does not breathe. Any moisture that gets under that stuff means removing it and letting it dry...lest it mold. It seemed like all I did last season as remove carpet at the end of a trip, hang dry it and then put it all back in.

I didn't notice any temp difference between the SeaDek on the back porch and inside the boat...but don't ya dare step on a snap top that's been sitting in the hot July sun for a little while.

I'm so glad I have SeaDek to install when the boat comes out of storage in another month.
Great info, thanks for sharing

DirkG

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Love my snap in pads! Best of both worlds

DirkG

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I like that I can do both. Usually I leave them in and they dry great, have not had a problem. (I do park inside) But, I can remove 'em and clean underneath or around the edges easier. I have not had problem with being too hot, large bimini and I live in NW Washington. But, even in late August never had any buckling. Getting them all snapped in the first time was not easy. Had to stretch to get them snapped. I left them in all winter no problem.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I like that I can do both. Usually I leave them in and they dry great, have not had a problem. (I do park inside) But, I can remove 'em and clean underneath or around the edges easier. I have not had problem with being too hot, large bimini and I live in NW Washington. But, even in late August never had any buckling. Getting them all snapped in the first time was not easy. Had to stretch to get them snapped. I left them in all winter no problem.
Thanks for the info!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From my experience with the snap in pads I can tell you that the temperatures will be similar to your carpet. The upside is that the mats won't absorb water so they can be cooled instantly by throwing a bit of water on them. The down side is that you have to remove them to clean underneath from time to time. This is one of the two main reasons I got into the SeaDek business. I hated stubbing my toes on the snaps when the carpets were not in the boat and I really did not have time after a long day on the water to do another chore. It was about minimizing effort and maximizing enjoyment. Stick down is still the only business we're in due to to those factors. Nothing wrong with the OEM version, but from a user standpoint I'd personally prefer the stick down.

Also one thing I'd like to hear from users is if they've seen any issues with buckling or a waviness in the pads during high or low temperature days. EVA foam expands and contracts quite a bit with temperature changes and I've seen several boats at shows that appeared to have pads which were warped looking. With higher temps the pads tend to expand and with cooler temps the pads tend to contract.
I think @JetBoatPilot is 100% right on.

I also see @jcyamaharider points as valid and totally agree with his logic, but for me that only works as long as I would have a place to conveniently dry and store the mats (which do not roll easily). I lift/slip the boat in a covered outdoor slip, so leaving things hanging outside to dry is not super convenient.

If I stored the boat indoor, I might go with the snap-in mats, but I know very few people who have that luxury!

At any rate - I considered those options with some hands-on research, and feel kind of strongly about this topic, so here is my 0.02 (to help with the OP decisions):

That new Sea-Mat (or whatever it is called) -- snap-on SeaDek-like mats are not as thick and "plush" as the real SeaDek, IMO, and I have a lot of reservations:
  • those will get wet (over and under) pretty much every time we go out, and will mold (under) if left wet - which is every time those will just be left in the boat outside, there is also condensation that will leave some wetness under the mats, there is no question about it (unless you live in Arizona!) (or store indoor!)
  • those mats are hard(er) to wash and dry (and transport in a car if taking them home to wash/dry) than the original carpet
  • uses tall snaps ("ouch" factor)

I can see how some boaters would like it. Not us, my family. It is simply too much work.

On the other hand, you will only hear good things about the glue-in SeaDek, for a reason.

I think Yamaha is making a big mistake furnishing all new boats with those mats. Again - just my 0.02!

--

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Again the reason we went the glue down route, and remain dedicated to this approach is the positives outweigh the negatives. In business, decisions you make can often times dramatically impact your bottom line and even the future of the company. SeaDek with PSA appeals to more customers than does snap down, and to be honest, I believe that our position has been echoed more often than not. People just don't have nearly as many negatives to overcome with stick down vs snap down. Yes removal is a PITB (keepin it clean lol) but that is really not on most people's radar when making the buying decision. We have yet to get completely through a full use cycle with our customers so we really don't know how long its going to last on average. My assumption is most are keeping their boat under a cover at a minimum and in this scenario you could see a life cycle of 10 years plus. Who keeps a boat 10 years anymore? I'd wager less than 20% of us is probably about right. So again, removal then becomes a problem of the future owner and we will begin to address that in the years to come.