• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Questions about using a jetboat in the keys

NickTackular

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Hi

i have been boating since i was 14 (34 now) and i have always used an outboard center console. my whole family is into center consoles. I have an old 1999 sea doo gtx rfi that still runs great and will hit 50 mph without an issue. I have a family now and with 2 kids i want to get a 21' or 24' Jet Boat. i am curious how the newer AR Yamaha jetboats handle the bay and seas of the upper keys. Im am not too much into fishing but i love cruising, snorkeling, and hanging out at sandbars. I also would like to be able to take it from key largo to key west.

my questions
How do these boats handle the ocean (2-4 ft is prob the max i want to be out on any 21-24' boat) and choppy bays?
what are the pitfalls of these boats?
if i decide to buy a used one what do i look out for?
how do they compare to a general center console outboard?

thanks

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Seaweed clogs and fuel range will be your biggest two factors after seaworthiness in seas above 3 foot swells. You can do a search on FL Keys and several treads will come up about vacation trips and some that live in the Keys.

NickTackular

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Thats awesome. I did this trip with my brothers 27 concept. we left from key largo and stayed at hawks cay for a couple days. I want a boat that can do trips like this.

NickTackular

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Im sorry for the stupidity of this question but do these boats have bilge pumps?

NickTackular

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
So what did you do for GPS and vhs? I saw a review recently of a 2018 ar 21' and it seemed to have a gps but do you guys get like a separate garmain gps installed?

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I think you will find the how to prepare for the Bimini trip thread most helpful.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The boat is great in the Keys, except the seaweed. I go from Largo or Islamarada to Cujoe and Summerland a bit so Key West is not a problem. It is so awesome down there. Don’t forget the Everglades park, most if it is water and you can access more if it with your jet boat. You also don’t have to worry to much about leaving prop marks lol. Or messing up your prop.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mounted Vhf Chartplotter of your preference (make sure larger screen so sont have ti squint and bend down to see it).

The boat handles fine in 2-4 chop. Read the sargasso lines and if have to break through fone the narrowest part and go.

Didnt have any issues where we stayed with dock area being covered with sargasso (sea grass/weeds).

I'm ready to go back.

Most of the stuff you will want to so on Atlantic aide is 6-10milea off short at most so fuel range is plenty with out boats