• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Quick question- WetSounds REVO 6 x8 amp sizing

cyclops

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi folks! Thanks a lot to you fine folks, I have a 2015 242 Limited S that I’m re-doing the stereo. So far I have run all new tinned copper speaker wire 14ga direct to each speaker from the helm (plus LED wire), and installed 6 (soon to be 8) REVO 6 speakers. I am testing my setup with a SYN DX4 where I am using all 4 channels but each channel has a pair of speakers in parallel. I have run 1/0 power cable to distribution blocks thru circuit breakers from the battery compartment to the helm to carry the power.

This is my speaker wiring configuration:
ch1- bow and aft cockpit seating port
ch2- ditto ch1, but starboard
ch3- new cockpit speakers and swim platform speakers port
ch4- ditto ch3, but starboard

Still, somehow I can’t help feel like my speakers are underpowered. Maybe my expectations are just too high.

They are rated 100 watts each. At 2 ohms load, the SYNDX4 should produce 100 watts per speaker, I think (200 per channel so 100 per speaker in parallel).

I have read some things about wiring parallel AND bridged.

I have considered that perhaps the sinister series amp would be better.

Tuning at the moment is such that crossover is set to High, 100hz, and gain is set half way for each channel.

Any advice is super appreciated!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Why do you think they are under powered?

Are you sure you are wired to 2 ohms? (+to +, - to -) Confirmed with meter?

If not running a sub, I would drop the xover to 80hz (I probably would anyways).

cyclops

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Why do you think they are under powered?

Are you sure you are wired to 2 ohms? (+to +, - to -) Confirmed with meter?

If not running a sub, I would drop the xover to 80hz (I probably would anyways).
Admittedly totally subjective! Just not as loud as I expected. Still pretty loud though. Maybe I need my ears cleaned out :)

cyclops

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Admittedly totally subjective! Just not as loud as I expected. Still pretty loud though. Maybe I need my ears cleaned out :)
but really, it’s that the speakers begin to distort before I feel like they’ve gotten “as loud as they should”

again subjective

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Confirm 2 ohms at each channel.

I would then test voltage at the amp while cranking it. There could be something loose limiting voltage. Lastly you can play a test tone and meter voltage on speaker outputs to ensure the amp is putting out the right amount of power.

8 speakers at 100 rms should be pretty darn loud, especially when testing in a static environment.

cyclops

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Confirm 2 ohms at each channel.

I would then test voltage at the amp while cranking it. There could be something loose limiting voltage. Lastly you can play a test tone and meter voltage on speaker outputs to ensure the amp is putting out the right amount of power.

8 speakers at 100 rms should be pretty darn loud, especially when testing in a static environment.
Will do