• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Radial tires are much easier to roll

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I changed the worn out (I assume factory) axial tires on my SX230 trailer. The new Towmaster brand radial tires were just under $400 installed for the four. I had been concerned that I could not roll the SX230 around in the garage with the axial tires. I was pleasantly surprised that I can roll it easily with the new radial (Towmaster) tires. Going from not being able to push the boat around on a smooth flat slab to pushing it almost as easy as I did the LX210 is a huge difference.

I also experienced an increase of fuel mileage. I believe it added at least 1 MPG.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Love my Maxxis radials! I am on my second boat trailer with them.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I am interested in seeing Pearces input here. He is the only guy I know with Maxxis radials that has had to replace them early into their life. Pearce? I got 4 years out of my stock tires and they made the trek unfettered to California!

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Actually, the Maxxis I just replaced lived their full life of six years. For as much and as fast as I tow in the heat of the summer on lousy roads they did quite well. I obviously pushed them a little too far last summer because one came apart on me coming home on a trip last July. The entire tread belt came off and tore up the fender and busted the taillight. The tire still held air for another three days after getting home.

I've now switched to Kumho's 857 radial that's rated as a commercial high speed trailer tire. I think they're a D load rated tire because max PSI is 65. Don't get me wrong, Maxxis makes a great tire. I still own a set on my 5th wheel camper.