• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Radio antenna on tower options

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Is it possible to have a more "covert" radio antenna setup that will be functional with decent range? Can you get decent reception without the antenna extending ABOVE the tower but instead being only a foot or two long and running parallel next to it, so it's not an eyesore?

I was thinking if I could get something along these lines for nearshore that worked for what I need 99% of the time and could have a second longer antenna to swap out (screw out/screw into the same base?) for something like a Bimini run on occasion would be ideal.

Post up the most slick radio antenna options for towers and how it has worked out for you.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The taller your antenna sits, the better your range. Shakespeare does sell a swappable screw on base....it is what I installed, not because I want to use a short antenna but because much of the time I don't need my radio, so I just remove the antenna.

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
The taller your antenna sits, the better your range. Shakespeare does sell a swappable screw on base....it is what I installed, not because I want to use a short antenna but because much of the time I don't need my radio, so I just remove the antenna.
Yea I understand the concept. Just wondering what kind of range I could get with a short antenna running parallel to the tower. I don't want to add an eyesore of an antenna and definitely don't want to make the boat any taller.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Having the antenna next to the tower will create interference. It is best to have it extend above the tower. Like @Julian said, Shakespeare makes a quick connect antenna & base where the antenna unscrews from the mount.

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Having the antenna next to the tower will create interference. It is best to have it extend above the tower. Like @Julian said, Shakespeare makes a quick connect antenna & base where the antenna unscrews from the mount.
I understand it wouldn't be optimum. I wonder if anyone has tried it and if it's usable and if so at what kind of range. My thought is if I can get a couple miles with a small antenna I keep on most the time that would do the trick and have a longer one to swap out which would extend above the tower for more range.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I understand it wouldn't be optimum. I wonder if anyone has tried it and if it's usable and if so at what kind of range. My thought is if I can get a couple miles with a small antenna I keep on most the time that would do the trick and have a longer one to swap out which would extend above the tower for more range.
If all you need is a couple of miles, a handheld will do that, and a short fixed mount will do way more than 2...probably more like 5-15 depending on height mounted. Personally I like the look of an antenna on a boat.

FB_IMG_1594775914017.jpgFB_IMG_1606589104401.jpg

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
If all you need is a couple of miles, a handheld will do that, and a short fixed mount will do way more than 2...probably more like 5-15 depending on height mounted. Personally I like the look of an antenna on a boat.

View attachment 137779
Yea the only thing I don't like about a handheld is the charging aspect, and the option to swap a large antenna for open water would be nice.

You think I could get 5+ miles with a short antenna alongside the tower? That would be awesome!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yea the only thing I don't like about a handheld is the charging aspect, and the option to swap a large antenna for open water would be nice.

You think I could get 5+ miles with a short antenna alongside the tower? That would be awesome!
I'd put the short antenna on top....they are thin whips that are barely visible. That way when you want the full reach you'll have it.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I'd put the short antenna on top....they are thin whips that are barely visible. That way when you want the full reach you'll have it.
I go under bridges with literally an inch or two clearance, so really don't want to raise the height.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I go under bridges with literally an inch or two clearance, so really don't want to raise the height.
Then I'd mount it to the side of the tower with the base below the highest point, but as high as you can. Many have attached theirs to the side plate on the tower.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Then I'd mount it to the side of the tower with the base below the highest point, but as high as you can. Many have attached theirs to the side plate on the tower.
Cool .. thanks. Yea if like to mount it so the short antenna is right at the top of tower height and then if I swap it out the longer antenna would be at a nice height.

Anyone have a recommendation and want me link me to a radio and antenna(s) they would recommend?

Also is there a mount that will clip onto the tower similar to how the wakeboard racks mount?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
...Personally I like the look of an antenna on a boat.
I guess I am stuck in the 80's, back when I was at UCF...I like the look of "an antenna" enough on the tower, that I mounted two. Quick connects are great. The other is for AM/FM. Ran the wiring in the tower.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess I am stuck in the 80's, back when I was at UCF...I like the look of "an antenna" enough on the tower, that I mounted two. Quick connects are great. The other is for AM/FM. Ran the wiring in the tower.
I’d have an AM/FM antenna like you but the wife has her phone connected via Bluetooth with her Pandora boating playlist going in our boat a majority of the time.

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
This is what I'd get:

Mount it on top of your tower. Will be barely visible.
Looks like they make those in 3, 4, and 8 ft antennas. If they had a 1ft that would be awesome for nearshore and then I could swap out for a 3 or 4 ft antenna when needed and it would extend above the tower.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am counter-cultural. I mounted mine to the top of the hull just behind the tower. Yes, it does not let the radio reach 15 miles, but I don't go offshore (lakes only) and it works for me. And I don't have to worry about removing the antenna for bridges or to store the boat (or rather, I don't have to forget the antenna and break it off). Never really tested how far it goes, exactly, but have always been able to reach all the way across the lake (~2-3 miles).

For the wiring, I just ran it up over the gunnel and then pushed it behind the cushion there. Ran it behind the cushions, up to the radio. Not as clean as I will make it someday, but it works and I don't think anyone but me notices the white wire running up the 1" of white gelcoat to the antenna.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What are you most concerned about - safety or you want to communicate with others for non-safety reasons?

I have a portable VHF that I keep loaded with AA batteries (I have extras on the boat); it should provide coverage up to 6 miles (3-8 miles is the general rule). After that, I have a Garmin InReach satellite communicator - coverage is global. The InReach SOS function contacts GEOS, and they will text you to determine the nature of your problem (catastrophic needing the Coast Guard to simply need Sea Tow / Tow Boats US). If you do not respond to their reply to your SOS, they send first responders to your position as they track you. You can also text any cell phone with routine messages (both predetermined and composed at the moment, and they can reply).

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like they make those in 3, 4, and 8 ft antennas. If they had a 1ft that would be awesome for nearshore and then I could swap out for a 3 or 4 ft antenna when needed and it would extend above the tower.
Just get a mount that you can tip down while you go under bridges and such and flip it up when you are past. I have the same issues in some places I boat and it is the route I'm going with mounting my antenna.

Here is a good article on VHF and range