• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Radio Knob Rusted

Eddie Lopez

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone else had any problems with the Polk radio unit rust on the rear transom? I normally keep this unit covered but when I actually went to try and adjust the volume the knob wouldn't turn. Come to find out the entire thing rusted out and now has become usable.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone else had any problems with the Polk radio unit rust on the rear transom? I normally keep this unit covered but when I actually went to try and adjust the volume the knob wouldn't turn. Come to find out the entire thing rusted out and now has become usable.
Unfortunately, it is a common issue. My remote unit has been regularly dosed with T9 and packed with grease, so far it's ok (the cover doesn't fit/falls off of mine - so I have never been able to use it). I think @Drift Away and @Mainah posted on those issues, too.

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Unfortunately, it is a common issue. My remote unit has been regularly dosed with T9 and packed with grease, so far it's ok (the cover doesn't fit/falls off of mine - so I have never been able to use it). I think @Drift Away and @Mainah posted on those issues, too.

--
I am convinced the Polk ultra marine rating is more of a don’t get it anywhere near a marine environment rating. That knob rusted on mine and I had it replaced under warranty. I pulled the knob off the new unit right away and packed a little grease in it before putting it back on. So far so good.

FWIW Polk plastic speaker rings in the swim deck discolor from salt water + sun exposure. The only thing polk made that I love for my boat is the 1040 mm um subs. Once sealed up those small enclosure subs rock handling 350w rms and 700w max. They are not infinite baffle as they were originally marketed and sealing them up in the hull is a pain.

Verdict: Polk Ultra Marine is a bunch of marketing BS and has no business on a boat, rv, or open off road vehicle.

Last edited:

Eddie Lopez

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I take her in next Friday for annual service but I’m gonna make sure I get this replaced under warranty and then I’ll give the grease tip a shot!

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mine was rusted forced it the knob came off I used pliers to get it to turn then sprayed some lube and gave it some firm pushes . The push button feature started working its in a terrible place . My 2005 push button remote still worked before I sold it this year I don’t think this one will last more than a few years . I was planning on putting the table post holder over it if it fits.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Polk audio is NOT marine rated...Idc what they say, their speakers are literally made out of metal. I am replacing all my Polk speakers. My knob is shot too its getting replaced next week.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It would probably be good to leave the old one to cover the hole and mount the new one in the cabin. The remote is needed to delete paired Bluetooth phones it cant be done from connext. The main thing I ever used the 2005 AR230 remote for was skipping to the next song this one does not have that ability

Update the connect screen allows them to be unlocked then deleted

Congratulations @DJMattyT lets see pics of the new boat

Last edited:

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It would probably be good to leave the old one to cover the hole and mount the new one in the cabin. The remote is needed to delete paired Bluetooth phones it cant be done from connext. The main thing I ever used the 2005 AR230 remote for was skipping to the next song this one does not have that ability

Congratulations @DJMattyT lets see pics of the new boat
I can delete paired bluetooth devices from the connext........

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
polk

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I can delete paired bluetooth devices from the connext........
How do you delete them ? I tried holding them down to see if an option came up nothing that I tried would work. Could have had something to do with the knob being stuck . I have not tried with the knob freed up I was able to do it from the remote

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I can't remember but I will do it again this weekend to see the process. I had the dealers iphone on my bluetooth list and I deleted it from the screen. I think I just touched and held it.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is the remote that should have been on the back deck PRC100bc

It would have been better to put the controller on the port side next to the captain chair to allow the passenger to control the music especially when the driver is concentrating during wake sports . They have a y cable I'm looking at putting a plate of ss on the back and install this remote with the Polk PRCYC1 cable and move the stock controller inside the cabin area. Maybe I will wait for it to fail get a warranty replacement then move them around for about $140 in parts . The skip to the next song was my go to button and this looks like it has it . I wonder if it will fight with the can bus for 140 I'm willing to try

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Great info on the song skipping and I updated the post from above the connext screen does allow to unlock then delete. In salt water I still do not like the knob on the back swim deck and will be swapping out the stock control and trying the y cable and other remote .

Pullen724

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is the rusting a problem in fresh water use too or just salt water? Does the knob pop off easy to add some grease or is there a trick to not break it?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is the rusting a problem in fresh water use too or just salt water? Does the knob pop off easy to add some grease or is there a trick to not break it?
It will rust in any environment, grease it.
It pulls straight off