• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie real world payload numbers. The truth hurts.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Package, 5.7L Hemi, Crew Cab, 3.92 gears, 4x4, 6'4" box and I have a Leer Camper shell.
Based on Chart from Ram it has a GVWR of 6900lbs and payload of 1480lbs and towing max of 9,850lbs. See the purple highlighted section on chart.

After getting a 25' travel trailer last summer and upgrading the boat to a Robalo 246 cayman I was feeling like the Ram was getting a little stressed. The 5.7 Hemi had plenty of power but it just felt like the tail is wagging the dog a little more than I am comfortable with. So I took a little trip to the local cat scales with the truck loaded like we normally would for a camping trip: me, my 13yr old son (maybe 300lbs the 2 of us combined), a full tank of gas, 2 bicycles in the back (lightweight maybe 25lbs each), campershell (200lbs) a toolbox and all the other random junk always in the truck. My weight: 6660lbs!!! That leaves me 240lbs to spare and them I'm technically overweight! So essentially if my wife and 10 year old were to get in the truck I would be a max GVWR. HOLY CRAP! What was more shocking was the axles on the Ram 1500 are rated at 3900lbs each. If you look at the Cat Scale my front axle is carrying 3640lbs already. This maybe explaining why my tires were wearing so fast.

Moral of the story if you want to have a 1/2 ton truck AND you need to pull heavy OFTEN, you need to have a base model trim with few options, short box, small cab, 2wd to keep your base weight low otherwise you will be maxing out your GVWR with a trip to the grocery store.

How do you solve these problems? You buy a 3/4 ton truck. First world problems.
Capture.JPG
IMG_3208.jpg
IMG_3217.jpg

msjones144

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good on ya' for hitting the scales after having a "sense" for something awry.... Before I bought my '16 AR240 last spring, I towed a bigger boat with a smaller truck and had the same feelings. Upgraded the truck about 6 mo's before the boat. Now I have a '17 F-250 to tow the AR with and when I hit some of the local grades around Norris lake last year I was really glad I had the bigger truck and smaller boat situation...you wont miss the 1/2 ton!7BB8801A-93BE-4168-AB47-117265679E6C.jpeg

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Yup. I also learned that lesson the expensive way. 1/2 ton marketing and literature is notoriously deceptive. Get a 3/4 ton gas or 1 ton diesel if you need some payload.

I wish manufuctaturers were forced to tell us each trim model's actual axle weight.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What did the payload on your door sticker say? Those are supposed to represent available payload as the truck is configured, and my 150 says I have 1668lbs of payload available.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don’t have a pic of that sticker. I think that info is on the yellow tire pressure sticker. I found this picture but it doesn’t say anything different than the chart above.
9A7B21B3-FC4B-4551-8195-2F15DA94D39B.jpeg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Another thing to keep in mind here. This reduced the trailer allowance on the Dodge as well.

15,850 (GCWR) - 6,600 (Curb Weight) = 9,250.....NOT the 9,850 listed in the manual, a 600lb reduction.

Clearly Dodge expects people to maintain much less cargo in the truck when they determined the tow ratings.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@msjones144 I like the matched boat/truck combo there. Looks sharp!

@2kwik4u I was going to mention that as well but didn't want to drone on about how all the numbers are just not in my favor. Also hard to tow a 9250lb trailer with only 240lbs of tongue weight. Better have some good safety chains.

Anyway I am in no way bashing the Ram 1500 I owned. It was a good vehicle, fairly problem free, rode really nice for 4wd, had lots of fancy features and got decent gas mileage as a family truck. I just started pulling heavy loads more often, had a few white knuckle moments that were mildly concerning, and was only getting 6-8mpg when towing camper, so I went to the scales for some clarity and got enough data to push me over the edge to justify the 3/4 ton.

I have yet to tow with the 3/4 ton yet, as I just rolled over the 1000 mile break in this weekend, but so far don't miss the 1/2 ton truck. Having taken 2 long family trips in it so far, the ride is stiffer for sure and the mpg is slightly less when unloaded but neither one is enough of a difference to matter to me. It's all compromises. Over the next few months I will likely put over 2000 miles on the truck pulling the camper to weekend bike races, I don't foresee this 7.3L gas engine having any trouble pulling or controlling the load.

If I still had just the AR210 and was only pulling a few miles to the ramp a few times a year I wouldn't care that I was over the GVWR. But traveling hours, at interstate speeds, pulling a travel trailer, it started to matter to me.

gwrace1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yep those towing and weight ratings are always on the high side. They test with medium weight driver, half tank of fuel and no onboard luggage.
We have a 2004 Ford Excursion Diesel rated to tow 11K pounds. We purchased a 35 foot Artic Fox travel trailer with an empty weight of 8700 lbs. Truck weighs in at 8900 empty with a full 44 gallon fuel tank. That left us with 2400 lbs of storage if we kept all tanks dry in trailer. By the time we had the unit loaded up and rolling down the road we were at 20K+ in weight. Gross rating was 20K. We really felt it going through the mountains in Colorado. We no longer own the trailer but plan to use it to tow the new boat.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Yep those towing and weight ratings are always on the high side. They test with medium weight driver, half tank of fuel and no onboard luggage.
We have a 2004 Ford Excursion Diesel rated to tow 11K pounds. We purchased a 35 foot Artic Fox travel trailer with an empty weight of 8700 lbs. Truck weighs in at 8900 empty with a full 44 gallon fuel tank. That left us with 2400 lbs of storage if we kept all tanks dry in trailer. By the time we had the unit loaded up and rolling down the road we were at 20K+ in weight. Gross rating was 20K. We really felt it going through the mountains in Colorado. We no longer own the trailer but plan to use it to tow the new boat.
7.3L ? Great vehicle... don't ever sell it!

gwrace1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's a bullet proofed 6.0 with custom towing tune, custom turbo, 140 amp alternator, oil and coolant bypass filters. Runs better than when it was brand new. No plans to sell. It's been garaged since purchase and looks like new. Just had to have the original factory front shocks replaced. But overall has been very low maintenance.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Also a good engine once worked on a bit. The complexity of the new diesels is what is keeping me away, I went with the 6.2 gas on my f250.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The sad thing is that there was supposed to be a SAE standard for tow capacity to avoid this stuff. It's a shame that standard didn't really work. Stuff like this is where the Titan XD shined, not quite 3/4 ton and huge, but beefy enough to handle what the half tons claim they can do but can't do right. Shame it didn't work out for that truck, especially the 5.0 Cummins.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The sad thing is that there was supposed to be a SAE standard for tow capacity to avoid this stuff. It's a shame that standard didn't really work. Stuff like this is where the Titan XD shined, not quite 3/4 ton and huge, but beefy enough to handle what the half tons claim they can do but can't do right. Shame it didn't work out for that truck, especially the 5.0 Cummins.
The SAE Standard works great, and has somewhat leveled the field in tow capacity. Marketing departments have just turned to listing other non-standardized numbers (like payload).

Checked my Sierra 1500 this week since we're looking at slide in campers. Total payload is 1,573. Time I add 2 adults, 2 kids, 1 dog, a little bit of gear and 300lbs tongue weight. I'm down to like 700lbs available capacity. No way am I getting a slide in camper that light :( Most are at least 1,100lbs dry, and well over 2k lbs wet. Little disappointing really. Even a small 5th wheel might fit inside my 9,200lb tow rating, but if it's 10% on the pin, I'll be over my payload rating. What a shame to have something this large with relatively low ratings overall :(

gwrace1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've never owned a pickup and have used our Ford Excursion as our primary hauler and tow vehicle. I'm surprised no one makes a crew cab half ton with a long bed, Was looking at some hoists for pulling wave runners into the bed.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@2kwik4u I agree on the "shame to have something this large with relatively low ratings overall." In reality my Ram1500 had same payload as a Ford Explorer...maybe less. So while the towing capacity is higher it doesn't matter because a 10,000lb trailer will have 1000-1500lbs tongue weight. Not only does the 1/2 ton truck not have the payload, the ClassII or IV hitch isn't rated to handle it anyway. It just all more manipulative marketing to sell trucks..."mine is bigger than yours".

Now that I have had my gas burning, 3/4 ton for 2500 miles and have towed the camper and boat a few hundred miles there is no way I will ever go back to a 1/2 ton truck if I am pulling big trailers. I've seen people post that same remark so many times on so many forums but now that I have experienced it I see why. The adage of "I forgot it's even back there" is complete BS, I still feel my trailers even with the 3/4 ton. But everything from braking/shifting/accelerating/turning is just so much better and in more control with the bigger truck. Still get some side to side sway (although much less), but the porpoising over rough roads up/down is completely gone and driving on curvy roads the truck is pulling the trailer vs the trailer pushing the truck.

@2kwik4u I'm not sure how serious you are about the slide in, but most guys with those the debate is single rear wheel vs duals in ton trucks. Most 3/4tons are too light for slide ins.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u I agree on the "shame to have something this large with relatively low ratings overall." In reality my Ram1500 had same payload as a Ford Explorer...maybe less. So while the towing capacity is higher it doesn't matter because a 10,000lb trailer will have 1000-1500lbs tongue weight. Not only does the 1/2 ton truck not have the payload, the ClassII or IV hitch isn't rated to handle it anyway. It just all more manipulative marketing to sell trucks..."mine is bigger than yours".
100% agree here. The marketing can only get us so much info. The agitating part lately is finding good specs online for a particular model. When looking at new trucks I was checking out the new 2500 and 3500 Sierra AT4's. They look sharp, and I like the brand as a whole. Can't find ACTUAL numbers online for what the payload ratings are. Just what they are rated "up to".....dammit, give me some numbers so I can decide before I plunk down $60k on a truck!

Now that I have had my gas burning, 3/4 ton for 2500 miles and have towed the camper and boat a few hundred miles there is no way I will ever go back to a 1/2 ton truck if I am pulling big trailers. I've seen people post that same remark so many times on so many forums but now that I have experienced it I see why. The adage of "I forgot it's even back there" is complete BS, I still feel my trailers even with the 3/4 ton. But everything from braking/shifting/accelerating/turning is just so much better and in more control with the bigger truck. Still get some side to side sway (although much less), but the porpoising over rough roads up/down is completely gone and driving on curvy roads the truck is pulling the trailer vs the trailer pushing the truck.

@2kwik4u I'm not sure how serious you are about the slide in, but most guys with those the debate is single rear wheel vs duals in ton trucks. Most 3/4tons are too light for slide ins.
I'm like 99% convinced my next truck will be at least a 2500, maybe a 3500 SRW. Have to see how this camper thing evolves for us. We're exploring about 15 different options currently. I'm all the way from soft sided roof top tents, to custom 5th wheel chassis for slide in and boat, to buying the wife a jeep (that she wants anyway) to tow our boat, and then getting a light 5th wheel and a semi-permanent campsite somewhere..........We have no idea what we are actually going to do at this point.....I'll have a post on it soon I'm sure :D

gwrace1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We've had this dilemma for years. How to enjoy RV camping and pull a boat with a single vehicle. We just recently sold our 35' travel trailer after 15 years of ownership. Were now leaning towards renting lakeside cabins and just pulling the boat. Good luck with all the choices.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We've had this dilemma for years. How to enjoy RV camping and pull a boat with a single vehicle. We just recently sold our 35' travel trailer after 15 years of ownership. Were now leaning towards renting lakeside cabins and just pulling the boat. Good luck with all the choices.
Glad we aren't the only ones in this predicament.

I really thought a slide in camper was the answer.......until I realized I don't have enough truck for that, and I don't want to pay for a new truck just yet.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So.. I have a 2006 f250 4 door long bed diesel I use to tow. It has a fiberglass paint matched camper top on the back. I stopped by my local rock quarry today and weighed it with me and my 150 pound son in it and full of fuel. The weight was 7800 pounds. My gvwr is 1000 pounds. So that leaves me with 2200 pounds of payload left. With a weight distribution hitch the ford towing guide says I can pull 15000 pounds. So if I towed a 15000 pound trailer with 10 percent tounge weight that would be 1500 pounds more payload.. under the trucks limits....

:(..... did I do that right?