• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Random Starting Issue

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm having a random starting issue on a 2006 SX210. It started on the port engine and would happen intermittently. I'd turn the key to "run", and when I'd attempt to start...nothing. Not a sound...no click, no growl, no crank. I'd go back to "run" and try again and it would fire right up. Sometimes it would take 2-3 times. I was leaning toward a bad switch, but now the starboard engine is doing the same thing! Totally random, back and forth. Sometimes they both fire right up, but only one seems to be "dead" at a time. They've both eventually fire up after a few times, port or starboard, but I'm worried that my luck is running out. Battery is brand new (first thing I did was get a fresh one.) I've checked the cleanout and lanyard kill switches and they seem fine. The ignition switches are tight in the dash and the connections are good. I'm stumped. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
first thing to do check your rear hatch kill switches

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
first thing to do check your rear hatch kill switches
They looked ok, nuts were tight. I'll check the hinges on the hatch and try the "tape the quarter" hack...see if it changes anything.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
After checking the switches, check the battery connections. You mentioned that you have a new battery, so you have to had connected them recently. Maybe the connections just need tightening. It sounds like a battery thing to me.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After checking the switches, check the battery connections. You mentioned that you have a new battery, so you have to had connected them recently. Maybe the connections just need tightening. It sounds like a battery thing to me.
That's what I thought! The battery is new since the problem started. It seemed better after I replaced it. I'm going the replace the clamps and check the main cables as well.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Have someone press down on the cleanout hatch switches while you start the boat. They can be easily adjusted so that they stick up more and close completely. That was the cause of my recent starting troubles. Bad ground connections on the battery is also another source of intermittent starting problems.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bypassed the battery terminals, took them right off, and went right to the smaller posts with the nuts. I sanded all the ring connectors nice and shiny and added a little dielectric grease. Seems to be starting ok now. Fingers crossed 🤞 Thanks for all the input!

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So it persisted and I finally got around to changing out the starter solenoid.
Good as new.