• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rav4 LE to pull yamaha vx 2017

Gustavo Hidalgo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
I just got a rav4 thinking about pulling my runner with it; have any one used a rav4 to pull a runner if so; have you had any issues?

Lake_Spray

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you have the optional tow package, no problem. If not, you'll be pushing limits a bit. I don't have a Rav4 but my brother has 2 of them and routinely tows 1,500 lb trailer loads without any problem. He has the optional towing package on both vehicles though. I think the Rav4 is rated for 1,000 lbs without the towing package, and 2,900-3,500 lbs with it (depending on Rav4 model). We pulled a 4,400 lb pontoon boat a flat 1/4 mile with his Rav4 once in a pinch, slowly, but not recommended. You'll probably be ok either way as long as you aren't in a very hot climate or have to tow over steep hills or mountains, but as always, be cautious.

A good reference site is http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/ While they focus on campers the advice they give is broad and can be useful across all types of towing.

Gustavo Hidalgo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
As per manual 1,500 towing capacity without towing package. I live in South Florida so hills are not be an issue.
The runner is 667 lbs. Plus 18.5 gallons ohh I see, on border line.
Plus,
Small grill,
Cooler with sodas and beers.
Fishing and snorkeling gear.
Etc.......

Lake_Spray

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For what it's worth, I towed my AR 190 last year with my Honda Odyssey minivan. Boat with fuel was about 3,000 lbs, plus gear brought it to 3500 lbs, which was the towing capacity of the van. And if I loaded up the van with kids I was probably over limit. The van did OK but I'm in Wisconsin so it's a cool, flat environment and I took everything very cautiously. I wouldn't have taken long trips like that but a couple miles to the local lakes wasn't any big deal. I've ditched the minivan for a Chevy Traverse so I have a little breathing room now. You should find out what the RAV4 towing package includes. Sometimes it's just something like a transmission cooler that you can have installed relatively inexpensively and you're golden for towing your runner. If it's a heavy duty cooling system then that might be a little tougher.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tow my 15 FZS with my wifes 4wd rav4 all the time with no issues at all. No struggle with take off or braking. Doesnt sag the bumper at all.
The rav is a 2011 rav4 limited with the 2.5 4cyl

Gustavo Hidalgo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
I don;t get this as per Toyota web site "towing-pre" in nothing more than a transmission cooler and a 150 amp alternator; however the towing capacity jump from 1,500 to 3,500.
So literately with an extra $300 on parts, a six pack and full day in the garage, should be able to tow the SX 190?
Did I missed something?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are those towing specs all for 4cyl?
Because 13 and older ravs with 3.5l have a higher towing capacity

Gustavo Hidalgo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
I can't find that info, but its only refers in general to 4cyls except SE and Platinum models.

Gustavo Hidalgo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
Well it's done hitch got installed this yesterday afternoon. Will try it tomorrow morning and let's hope it works as good as i hope.

Attachments

Gustavo Hidalgo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
Update.
The rav4 moved the runner with no issues; although I wasn't able to to test it at the ramp as by the time I got to the ramps all were packed and waiting lines were long i decided to get back home. I will try it tomorrow morning and update.

Attachments

Last edited:

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update.
The rav4 moved the runner with no issues; although I wasn't able to to test it at the ramp as by the time I got to the ramps all were packed and waiting lines were long i decided to get back home. I will try it tomorrow morning and update.
You shouldn't have any issues. It will turn in reverse fast because of the ravs short wheelbase. So slight corrections when backing.

Farmdog267

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What was the end result?

Gustavo Hidalgo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
I'm happy since my last post; I had put the runner in water 2 times at Crandon park marina at key Biscayne little slippery but, so far so good.