• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ready to go ropeless!

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Got the wave dialed to about 95%. Great afternoon of surfing with the family. Super excited about finding the "sweet spot". Thanks @jcyamaharider for the input.

Boat - '17 212x
Ballast - Full 1100lb factory ballast plus 750lb on the rear swim deck and 750lb on the rear surf side bench.
Speed - 10-11 mph
Enhancements - Gantlin Wake Wedge

Attachments

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
good job, it looks like you just need to drop that rope! I found that once I finally dropped the rope it changed by balance and everything just "clicked",

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
good job, it looks like you just need to drop that rope! I found that once I finally dropped the rope it changed by balance and everything just "clicked",
Thanks for the input @Scottintexas. Will be my first order of business tomorrow! will report results.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Heck yeah!!! Just like Scott said throw that rope!!!! Lol

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Blenderhead I think you purchased the right boat for surfing! We are still setting up the new 240, it's been very tough with those new keeled 24' hulls. We are getting close, and can go ropeless, but still not there.
Here is the latest - with the "flap" and over 4,000 lbs of ballast.

--

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Blenderhead I think you purchased the right boat for surfing! We are still setting up the new 240, it's been very tough with those new keeled 24' hulls. We are getting close, and can go ropeless, but still not there.
Here is the latest - with the "flap" and over 4,000 lbs of ballast.

--
@swatski - AWESOME!!!

So when you say "flap", I assume you are not talking about a Wake Wedge but something similar. 4000lbs... holy moly. But it probably take a little more to "sink" that 24' boat into the water. I think 3000lbs will be the magic number with the 212x.

Attachments

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski - AWESOME!!!

So when you say "flap", I assume you are not talking about a Wake Wedge but something similar. 4000lbs... holy moly. But it probably take a little more to "sink" that 24' boat into the water. I think 3000lbs will be the magic number with the 212x.
Flap (as I refer to it lovingly) is the @COtoFLsurf adaptation from the true wake boats' water smoothing flaps https://jetboaters.net/threads/surf-setup-2015-242ls.12389/#post-214333
Great design, and easy to follow directions, works as advertised too!

--

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So it appears that there is no adjustment necessary... it just flexes as needed to block the jet wash?
Correct. I have tried numerous angles and flap shape/length combinations, the one that is strait-cut and hangs strait down appears to work the best.
I would think the wake wedge does it better, one side at the time.

--

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One thing that we found is that the wake is one variable, but board and weight of rider is equally important. What will push my daughter will not push my son and I. Board buoyancy and length are a big factor.

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
One thing that we found is that the wake is one variable, but board and weight of rider is equally important. What will push my daughter will not push my son and I. Board buoyancy and length are a big factor.
ABSOLUTELY! After optimizing the wake, for me to ride rope-less (@200lbs) I need to be either on my Hyperlite Landlock or my Liquid Force Happy Pill. Both are extremely buoyant and make it easy to find the pocket for a heavier rider. My sons can easily ride the skim style board we have rope-less.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ABSOLUTELY! After optimizing the wake, for me to ride rope-less (@200lbs) I need to be either on my Hyperlite Landlock or my Liquid Force Happy Pill. Both are extremely buoyant and make it easy to find the pocket for a heavier rider. My sons can easily ride the skim style board we have rope-less.
When I was 200+ lbs it was all ballast and people we could find....My daughter stands up and throws the rope in 5 seconds.

Dulaneyjared

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Got the wave dialed to about 95%. Great afternoon of surfing with the family. Super excited about finding the "sweet spot". Thanks @jcyamaharider for the input.

Boat - '17 212x
Ballast - Full 1100lb factory ballast plus 750lb on the rear swim deck and 750lb on the rear surf side bench.
Speed - 10-11 mph
Enhancements - Gantlin Wake Wedge
Slide your front foot forward more on your board and just lean the front shoulder forward and you'll be rope less easy. Remember to keep your weight on the balls of your feet.

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What we found is it is not easy to go ropeless. We could not at first and blamed the boat, the board, the driver lol. Tell we got someone with experience to try our wake. Guess what they had no problem and said our wake was fine. All it took was practice and know we are ropeless with ease. once you figure it out it is almost easy and your start trying new things. You do need a decent size board and a decent wake but you also need practice. I am 185lb and can use a kids 48inch skim board, It is less forgiving and fussier on wake quality but as you get better you learn the sweet spot. Not saying we are great surfers but miles better than when we started.