• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Recommend trailer hitch/ball mount?

walaytulog

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Tow vehicle is GLS450 and will be towing AR190.

What is a good brand and does there need to be a specific drop?

Thanks in advance!

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you want versatility, the B&W tow and stow is the best, in my opinion. If you know what drop you need, and the boat is the only thing you tow, just get a drop hitch to match, and it’ll be cheaper and simpler. I’ve got the B&W, because I sell, service, and tow trailers every day at work, and can’t imagine life without it. Lol, that said, if you do go with the B&W, either get a hitch lock, or remove it anytime you’re not using it. They’re an easy target for thieves, and worth some coin/drugs.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I second the B&W hitch. I got a 5” drop to use and opted for the 2” & 2 5/16” ball setup, I love that I can flip it around and it’s not sticking out when not used.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thanks in advance!
:Welcome:
There's lots of choices...doesn't matter what you choose as long as all the parts are rated over the max trailer towing weight for safety, and you want the hitch+tongue to ride as level as possible for a smooth ride (this is the rise/drop you may need to choose). The hitch, drawbar, and ball all need to be rated higher than the ~3500 lbs for your boat. A class IV with 2" receiver and 5000 lbs or higher capacity is very common (mine is a Curt with 6000 lbs rating as I had a 4000 lbs trailer weight - new boat is almost 5000 lbs so my hitch is still well above rating limits). A typical 5000 lbs hitch is not hard to find at all if you're doing the hitch install yourself. If you take your vehicle to a shop, they can spec it out for you.

But if you do it yourself, double check the specs on all three parts of the hitch. Many times people just stop at an auto parts store and pick up a 2" ball but don't look at the tow weight capacity. Not all 2" balls are rated the same. If the ball is only rated 2000 lbs you could snap it off and have a not-so-fun day. Same goes for the drawbar which must also be rated above the tow weight. Just check that everything is rated well over 3500 lbs and you should be fine.

For getting a level ride, you can do as others suggested with an adjustable hitch system, or just measure the tongue height of the level trailer and add a couple inches for drop and size the drawbar (rise or drop in inches) as needed. If your vehicle has automatic ride height adjustment, then you just need to measure the tongue height and the vehicle will level it.

Another thing is the light hookup for the trailer. Does it have 4/5/7 pin connector and what does your vehicle have?

There's lots of resources online to read up on all of this...take a quick look and any questions just ask.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Uhaul usually has a variety of drop mount lengths and balls that are pretty affordable.

If you tow anything besides the boat then maybe one of those adjustable ones would be worth it.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We use the Weigh Safe WS4-2 4" Drop Hitch with 2" Shank & Tongue Weight Scale to haul our 24' Limited S with our 5.0L F150 Crew Cab. Multiple adjustments enabling near correct leveling for the trailer. Tongue weight with boat loaded never exceeded 100lbs.

View attachment 135465
You are kidding on the 100 lb tongue weight, right? That is way to light. You are going to cause an accident or kill someone. Trailer sway is dangerous. Especially with the size and weight of these boats and trailers. 8% - 10% if a safe bet although some go heavier. Can change with a Weight Distribution System though.

Last edited:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
You are kidding on the 100 lb tongue weight, right? That is way to light. You are going to cause an accident or kill someone. Trailer sway is dangerous. Especially with the size and weight of these boats and trailers. 8% - 10% if a safe bet although some go heavier.
100 lbs is too light unless towing at city speeds, probably a typo. But Shorelander actually specs their trailers to 5-7% and that's where I set mine (5% 250 lbs) by sliding the axles. Tows great like that and rides level and smooth.

Paulie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Pauly

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Getting my 195 this week🙏 Does anyone know the height between the ground and the bottom of the level trailer (B) trying to figure the hitch drop for my truck. I have a Jeep gladiator ( top of receiver 20 inchs from ground ) (A)

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Getting my 195 this week🙏 Does anyone know the height between the ground and the bottom of the level trailer (B) trying to figure the hitch drop for my truck. I have a Jeep gladiator ( top of receiver 20 inchs from ground ) (A)
You're going to get more eyes on your question with your own thread, having your vehicle in the thread title too.

Thanks in advance!
I like weigh safe, but I have a 6" adjustable because I have several different trailers that I tow. I don't have the scale version, so it's less expensive, but mine has the flip setup and I have my two most-used ball sizes on the carrier.

@RobbieO reminds me of a great point, make sure you get the tongue weight dialed in, it's hard to enjoy a day on the water if you never make it to the launch in the first place.