• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Recommendation on VHF, Portable Marine Radio

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I should have a VHF radio on the boat so I am leaning towards a portable version.

Do you have any recommendations on radio(s) that I should consider. I need it to be dependable and have a decent range.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I plan to add a Standard Horizon EXPLORER GPS (GX1700). I chose this radio because it has built in GPS to send automated distress calls (DSC).

It can be purchased for as little as $182 and currently has a $30 mail in rebate. This is the best price that I have found Standard Horizon Explorer Gx1700w Gps Fixed Mount Vhf - White
When I first went to Bimini I purchased a handheld Standard Horizon HX750S floating VHF radio. I agree handhelds don't have the best range but going with a group you should always be insight of someone. Also, on Bimini the communication method of choice is a VHF radio so a handheld is perfect. So far, on the couple of times I used the radio, I have been very impressed with it. Mine is easy to use, sound quality is very good, and it holds a charge for a long time.

If I boated in open water on a regular basis I would definitely have a mounted VHF unit attached to a tall antenna.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I boat on Lake Michigan which is pretty big. Big enough that you can lose sight of land. I have a wired unit with a 6' antenna that I currently just stick in the seat cushion when we go out. I plan on mounting it on the tower whenever I buy one, but I gotta pay off the boat first. The height of the antenna matters quite a bit. Most of the time we just use it to hear stuff when we come up to the locks when we are around Chicago, but it's also interesting to hear Coast Guard and such around the lake as well.
We do 75% of our boating on a small lake nearby though, so we don't break it out then.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have always used iCom portable and wired units. The portables have tremendous battery life -- I have a handheld on my desk that hasn't been charged in over a year! I don't use it often but thats great just sitting.

How far offshore will you go? That is really the question you need to answer and do some research on the transmit range of a handheld unit.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got an Icom hand held from West Marine a couple of years ago. Has a 5 & 1 watt switch and floats. Not sure what the range is but it has been a good rig

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you do decide to go portable. . . . . . save yourself the trouble and get a floating one. Not that I am speaking from direct, personal experience or anything. . . . . . = )

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have both. Portable Standard Horizon radio that floats, as previously suggested. Range is not great. I would hardly ever get a reply when asking for a pre-launch radio check. That prompted me to get a fix-mount VHF. I bought the Standard Horizon GX1700 with the built in GPS. I installed a 3' whip and have been very happy with it.

Captbob

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also have the Horizon GX 1700 with built in GPS. It replaced my old one that was only GPS ready. It is an awesome radio with many features.

whaler7626

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So we've talked about where to mount antennas, but where have you guys mounted fixed VHF units? I was thinking maybe near the throttles? Thanks!!

RumDiet

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Mounted mine under the dash - antenna on the port side on the tower.
I favor Std. Horizon radios because of the very generous repair policy - even if out of warranty they will fix it for $70. flat fee. Last year I had to return the fixed unit in the boat - sent it in on Monday, had it back in time for the following weekend. With Icom they ask you for your receipt and it its out of warranty they don't want to know you. IMG_20121027_153651.jpg

Norboo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Mounted mine under the dash - antenna on the port side on the tower.
I favor Std. Horizon radios because of the very generous repair policy - even if out of warranty they will fix it for $70. flat fee. Last year I had to return the fixed unit in the boat - sent it in on Monday, had it back in time for the following weekend. With Icom they ask you for your receipt and it its out of warranty they don't want to know you. View attachment 2663
Same location for me. Mounted the mic just in front of the throttles

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Does anyone have a pic of an antenna mounted on a tower? Preferably a 242 tower?

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Glad this topic came up. I've been contemplateing about getting a portable VHF or mounted one.

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Mine is mounted on the tower, but I don't have easy pictures available. I'll work on it though!

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thanks dude!