• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Recovering the swim platform 2006 AR 230

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As thing's are quiet here in Thailand and cant take the boat out i thought i would give it a once over and the swim platform was looking a little rough, It's never been changed so i looked on Lazada and found the correct material and purchased 3 rolls which for my boat left about 5 ft over allowing for any mistakes, Ok here's how i tackled the job.

20210704_123404.jpg

Start by gently removing the old cover but take care you need these for a pattern

20210709_102842 - Copy.jpg

After removing the old cover i used an angle grinder with a wire brush but please don't use any pressure gently let the brush do it's work up to about half an inch from the edge of the part your cleaning then i used a cordless drill with an attachment you can see at the top of the picture again use it gently it was great for getting right to the very edge.

20210707_101832 - Copy.jpg

A steel ruler and sharp knife and patience is required so place the old cover parts on the new material and allow a small amount of overlap this can be trimmed after
Place them in positions to get minimum waste so check what patterns are best used where on the new material.

20210708_101556 - Copy.jpg

Cut the new parts and check that they have a slight overlap

20210713_105736 - Copy.jpg

After preparing the surface i cleaned it with solvent to make sure it's really clean and the new material has an adhesive backing which i didn't trust so i spread contact adhesive over the prepared part just to be sure, If your careful using a spreader you can work the contact adhesive right up to the edge making sure you get a real good fix. Gently line up the edges and lay it down after allowing the adhesive to start to go off this only takes a few minutes over here, If your careful you will have time to move it around a little before it starts to set, When in place press down firmly all over and around the edges.

20210807_111519.jpg

I brought 2 tins of this i used 1 full tin and about a third of the second

20210807_111446.jpg

Make sure you get the adhesive right up to the edges because after a few months these edges are where it's going to start to lift after use You can use a screwdriver to gently push it to make a good fit.

20210807_111459.jpg

I allowed 24 hours before i started to trim the edges, You can see the original edge by gently lifting the edge of the material up and with a steel ruler of a decent length
you can trim back to the correct line again be gentle don't go mad.

20210807_111522.jpg

I used this and sprayed a cotton bud aiming into the lid and removed any glue so the edges were clean it is instant removes any glue straight away

20210818_102929.jpg

This is the attachment i used to get right up to the edge to remove the old adhesive again it moves it really easy you don't need any pressure as the glue is dry and old don't use solvent as it softens the glue again and just spreads it about

20210722_160430 - Copy.jpg

20210722_160457 - Copy.jpg

Finished job it took about 1 days work, The materials aren't expensive the total including extra adhesive and label remover etc about $70
Here the Link it's Lazada Thailand but I'm sure you can find the same item in Lazada USA they ship worldwide from China
Hope it's useful to you let me know what you think, Take care and stay safe.

Foam Teak Decking EVA Foam Marine Flooring Faux Boat Decking Sheet Accessories Marine Brown Black 450X2400X6mm | Lazada.co.th

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Always love seeing a @Geoff Cooper project, getting it done!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great job @Geoff Cooper ! Now we need to see some photos of your lovely guests enjoying the new platform! :cool:
Hi Julian,
Yes that would be nice but no boats allowed out at the moment over here so just general cleaning and messing about I'm afraid, I did buy a GP 1200 Yamaha Jet ski which i refurbished but nothing as extensive as the Waverunner 3 project i wrote about so didn't think it was worth writing about, Hope your doing ok over there, Lock down here so not much going on, I decided to do a bare metal respray on the Jeep as it's 50 years old now so that's keeping me occupied, take care keep safe.
20210806_103454.jpg
Cutting the rear panel and recessing the lights, gives me something to do

20210807_151620.jpg
Getting there slowly

20210816_151331.jpg
Taking shape

20191226_125313.jpg

Before i started stripping the jeep i dragged this AR 232 1200 miles from Phuket back here do do some work on it and the owner had moved here, Bit awkward dodging the curfew times and making the hotels in time

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi Julian,
Yes that would be nice but no boats allowed out at the moment over here so just general cleaning and messing about I'm afraid, I did buy a GP 1200 Yamaha Jet ski which i refurbished but nothing as extensive as the Waverunner 3 project i wrote about so didn't think it was worth writing about, Hope your doing ok over there, Lock down here so not much going on, I decided to do a bare metal respray on the Jeep as it's 50 years old now so that's keeping me occupied, take care keep safe.
View attachment 161161
Cutting the rear panel and recessing the lights, gives me something to do

View attachment 161162
Getting there slowly

View attachment 161163
Taking shape

View attachment 161170

Before i started stripping the jeep i dragged this AR 232 1200 miles from Phuket back here do do some work on it and the owner had moved here, Bit awkward dodging the curfew times and making the hotels in time
A new Yamaha owning neighbor?

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A new Yamaha owning neighbor?
Hi Julian

No he used to stay here before and moved away for a couple of years and decided to move back one reason was the standard of workmanship he found in Phuket was very poor and couldn't get a good job done on his boat, A couple of valves broke and made a real mess of the cylinder head and as he had work done down there before he wasn't happy so asked me to come and fetch the boat and fix it so off i went.

IMG-20200203-WA0004.jpgIMG-20200203-WA0009.jpg
A couple of valves had actually broken and damaged the head, As usual the dealers run a mile and wrote of the cylinder head and valves so you can imagine the cost and also the time the boat would have been out of the water.

20200225_122556.jpg

I managed to weld the head and a few hours with a Dremel got the combustion chambers back into shape and re cut the valves and seats a couple of secondhand valves skimmed the head and back in business.

20200225_122603.jpg

Job done, not expensive and boat runs great again, why fit new parts when thing's can be repaired i would have hated to have had the bill from the dealer had he have decided to let them fit a new head.

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's craftmanship right there.

Scottintexas