• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Red Tide

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
People here in Tampa bay area and Pinellas beaches Just a heads up.
I Have been going in the waters here since 1972 when I moved to Florida when I was 20 years old. I have seen many red tide outbreaks over those 46 years of boating so I never allowed the red tide to keep me from the water.
Last Saturday I went out around Fort Desoto and Tampa bay to do a test run on one of my skies that I had just completed numerous projects on. After approximately 1 hour I began to feel very sick, confused and tired. The red tide was very strong and the dead fish were everywhere. I had trouble breathing and could not focus on things . I packed up and drove home.
I never leave the water after only an hour or so even in heavy rain I will wait it out, but I just felt completely exhausted.
After washing everything I went to bed and slept for several hours In the middle of the day!!! Even today I am finding myself lethargic and tired, sleeping up to 12 hours a day. So I just wanted to warn you to be careful about exposure to this red tide. Especially with children being exposed to it.
I was told that there are about 60 different strains of red tide.
I have seen dead loggerhead turtles, huge remora washed up in the intercostal, They were so large I wondered what the hell were they attached to before they died.
Also dead manatees and small fish floating everywhere.
I also noticed sea gulls in large numbers diving on the dead bait fish, this was unusual since they never bother with red tide fish kills so now I suspect the sea gulls will also become sick. So just be careful if you are planning to go boating in this red tide as it may have an ill effect on you for several days as it did to me.

Last edited:

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When are they estimating this to dissipate? I plan to come down to boat in the inter coastal this coming December.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
What is this and what causes it?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Beats me but I sure hope a lot sooner than that I believe it builds out in the gulf and the on shore wind puts it on the beaches then the tides bring it in the intercostal waters.
I like boating 3 days a week not 3 days a year. They are trying to play it down because of the huge impact to tourism but we are now qualified for federal disaster relief so what does that tell you?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same way down here in Cape Coral, 2 hours south of Tampa. I finally took my boat out friday after sitting for 2 months because of this and the algae coming from lake "O". I made it down the Caloosahatchee River with no problems but once I got near Sanibel Island just before the Gulf, the smell hit me. Had to turn around and head back to the ramp.
Major factors influencing red tide events include warm ocean surface temperatures, low salinity, high nutrient content, calm seas, and rain followed by sunny days. Warm water, rain and then sun is every day in swfl. I really hope this goes away soon. It's been like this for months.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What is this and what causes it?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_tide

Red tide is a common name for a worldwide phenomenon known as an algae bloom (large concentrations of aquatic microorganisms—protozoans or unicellular algae) when it is caused by species of dinoflagellates and other algae”

Regarding human exposure:

“Human exposure
Humans are affected by the red tide species by ingesting improperly harvested shellfish, breathing in aerosolized brevetoxins (i.e. PbTx or Ptychodiscus toxins) and in some cases skin contact. The brevetoxins bind to voltage-gated sodium channels, important structures of cell membranes. Binding results in persistent activation of nerve cells, which interferes with neural transmission leading to health problems. These toxins are created within the unicellular organism, or as a metabolic product.[12] The two major types of brevetoxin compounds have similar but distinct backbone structures. PbTx-2 is the primary intracellular brevetoxin produced by K. brevis blooms. However, over time, the PbTx-2 brevetoxin can be converted to PbTx-3 through metabolic changes.[12]Researchers found that PbTx-2 has been the primary intracellular brevetoxin that converts overtime into PbTx-3.[13] When the cells rupture, they release extracellular brevetoxins into the environment. Some of those stay in the ocean, while other particles get aerosolized. During onshore winds, brevetoxins can become aerosolized by bubble-mediated transport, causing respiratory irritation, bronchoconstriction, coughing, and wheezing among other symptoms.[14] On a windy day, avoiding contact with the aerosolized toxin is recommended. These individuals report a decrease in respiratory function after only 1 hour of exposure to a K. brevis red-tide beach and these symptoms may last for days.[15]People with severe or persistent respiratory conditions (such as chronic lung disease or asthma) may experience stronger adverse reactions. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's National Ocean Service provides a public conditions report identifying possible respiratory irritation impacts in areas affected by red tides.[16]

In most cases like in the U.S., the seafood consumed by humans is tested regularly for toxins by the USDA to ensure safe consumption. However, improper harvesting of shellfish can cause paralytic shellfish poisoning and neurotoxic shellfish Poisoning in humans. Some symptoms include drowsiness, diarrhea, nausea, loss of motor control, tingling, numbing or aching of extremities, incoherence, and respiratory paralysis.[17] Lastly, reports of skin irritation after swimming in the ocean during a red tide are common, so people should try to avoid the red tide when it is in the area.”

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes it was stalled just south of us for quite a while. but now it is movin

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
People here in Tampa bay area and Pinellas beaches Just a heads up.
I Have been going in the waters here since 1972 when I moved to Florida when I was 20 years old. I have seen many red tide outbreaks over those 46 years of boating so I never allowed the red tide to keep me from the water.
Last Saturday I went out around Fort Desoto and Tampa bay to do a test run on one of my skies that I had just completed numerous projects on. After approximately 1 hour I began to feel very sick, confused and tired. The red tide was very strong and the dead fish were everywhere. I had trouble breathing and could not focus on things . I packed up and drove home.
I never leave the water after only an hour or so even in heavy rain I will wait it out, but I just felt completely exhausted.
After washing everything I went to bed and slept for several hours In the middle of the day!!! Even today I am finding myself lethargic and tired, sleeping up to 12 hours a day. So I just wanted to warn you to be careful about exposure to this red tide. Especially with children being exposed to it.
I was told that there are about 60 different strains of red tide.
I have seen dead loggerhead turtles, huge remora washed up in the intercostal, They were so large I wondered what the hell were they attached to before they died.
Also dead manatees and small fish floating everywhere.
I also noticed sea gulls in large numbers diving on the dead bait fish, this was unusual since they never bother with red tide fish kills so now I suspect the sea gulls will also become sick. So just be careful if you are planning to go boating in this red tide as it may have an ill effect on you for several days as it did to me.
I was just talking about it with a guy in my marina who's splitting his time between FL and MO. He's here now, w/his boat... Just a damn shame.
An unbelievable shame.

--

Bajd98

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Same way down here in Cape Coral, 2 hours south of Tampa. I finally took my boat out friday after sitting for 2 months because of this and the algae coming from lake "O". I made it down the Caloosahatchee River with no problems but once I got near Sanibel Island just before the Gulf, the smell hit me. Had to turn around and head back to the ramp.
Major factors influencing red tide events include warm ocean surface temperatures, low salinity, high nutrient content, calm seas, and rain followed by sunny days. Warm water, rain and then sun is every day in swfl. I really hope this goes away soon. It's been like this for months.
Thursday and Friday the smell came back quickly but left quickly... it was fine Saturday and Sunday.... down in Bonita on the other hand.... ugh it moved down there.... all depends on daily wind and current

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's President Trump's fault, clearly.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sadly it feeds on certain fertilizers and surface water run off...

Crappy septic systems and better cow poop control would help.

I'm very much not a tree hugger but it seems this is an area we could do better at.

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have lived on the west coast of Florida for over 50 years. I can't remember any red tide outbreak like this summer.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have lived on the west coast of Florida for over 50 years. I can't remember any red tide outbreak like this summer.
I'm glad its not like this every year. We're eying up the Tampa area for a move in a few years and this has been concerning me.

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Red Tide, not to be confused with the football team that beats the living hell out of every team in sight. Both nasty

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was out today to beach at the western tip of Ft. De Soto. We went from the MacDill marina over to the Gulf via under the Pinellas Bayway - after the Bayway, dead fish were floating everywhere. We kept going till Ft De Soto, but continued to see numerous dead floating fish. I turned the boat around and headed into St. Pete's to dock and walk around downtown - I didn't trust to get in the water.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Roll Tide!!! :D

flag.jpg

And it's Crimson...not RED! :p

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Roll Tide!!! :D

View attachment 83683

And it's Crimson...not RED! :p
The Crimson Tide is invading the waters of Alabama. Off subject but I am taking my almost 4 year old son to his first game this Saturday. He enjoyed a Braves game the other day, so going to take him to T- town!

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love seeing the red tide at night. The waves glow and the sand glows when you disturb it.