• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Regular unleaded versus non-ethanol

asevie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I only run non-ethanol but we’re vacationing with the extended family (20 of us!) and boat and we’re running the boat quite a bit. Gas is killin us this week! A tank a day. If we’re running that much fuel thru what are your thoughts on regular unleaded and then back to the marine gas at the end of the week?

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The newer boats are fine on ethanol. If you had a boat from the 70's or early 80's then you would have a problem over time. Where i live non-ethanol gas is like finding bigfoot. Just my .02

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I only run non-ethanol but we’re vacationing with the extended family (20 of us!) and boat and we’re running the boat quite a bit. Gas is killin us this week! A tank a day. If we’re running that much fuel thru what are your thoughts on regular unleaded and then back to the marine gas at the end of the week?
Ive ran regular ethanol gas and every boat jet ski pontoon boat Yamaha boat that I've ever had all I do is add a little gas treatment to it. If you're boat going to sit for a long time that's really the only time non-ethanol gas has any real benefit because there is no water to separate out of the gas. Get some good seafoam or some kind of other additive and you'll have no problems.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In my experience fuel with ethanol cleans very well... Too well.

My old boat gave me a year of hell with carb issues that could be traced to dirty fuel, but the issue was the dirt in my tank that was being loosened by the ethanol fuel. I added a pair of filters in series, and the issue went away.

Your newer boat already has run through plenty of it without issue. It would seem you are totally off the hook.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
10 seasons of nothing but regular with ethanol right down the street from me and 1 mi from the ramp. Marina gas is at least double...most of the time 2.5x, so I save about $150/tank. Just estimating I save about $500-$750/season. For 10 years that adds up to $5K-7.5K. I guess everyone needs to make their choice and feel good about it.

asevie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks all! I’m going to go the cheap-gas-for-the-week route and not worry!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am of the same place and opinion as @scokill . No problem.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I use stabil with regular ethanol when I can't find marine gas and my boat runs perfectly.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I use both, you won't notice a difference in performance either way, the motors are tuned to use 87 , but as others have said, don't leave your boat for a long period of time with ethanol gas. If you have to, add something like stabil

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
1 ounce stabil for 10 gallons of gas mandatory as far as I am concerned, and burn the gas within a couple of weeks.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've been using the good 'ol ethanol stuff from the local gas stations for a while now with no issues. I put in some Star Tron with each fill-up. Also, ethanol gas has less energy per ounce of fuel than normal gasoline. To compensate for this, I like to use premium gas (92 or 93 octane).

Lastly, you must also take into consideration the fuel usage rate of many of your marinas vs. the highway stations. Some of the marinas hold fuel for a long time, so it can become contaminated or spoil. I like to buy from the highway stations because they typically have fresh gas.

Boaters at my old marina hated buying fuel at the beginning of the boating season from the marinas b/c that gas sat in the marina's tanks all winter.

Last edited:

gmc_kurt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
HIGH TEST IS BEST FOR JETBOATS...LEADED GAS IS GREAT BECAUSE IT LUBRACATES AS IT BURNS...

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
HIGH TEST IS BEST FOR JETBOATS...LEADED GAS IS GREAT BECAUSE IT LUBRACATES AS IT BURNS...

Holy walking dead!

Pot stirring 101: Thanks for bringing up this dead thread from the past with one line that either reflects your age or lack of knowledge.

1. There is no such thing as leaded gas in pumps in the most common gas stations.
2. High test is a term not even used anymore. Octane rating used is well stated in the manual of our boats and most of the users here are pretty wise to that fact and follow it pretty close. Nobody has been burned by following the manual

Move along. But kudos on the very knowledgeable first post.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
8FEFA78D-C2F5-46DD-876E-E2D472E31B29.jpeg

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I've been using the good 'ol ethanol stuff from the local gas stations for a while now with no issues. I put in some Star Tron with each fill-up. Also, ethanol gas has less energy per ounce of fuel than normal gasoline. To compensate for this, I like to use premium gas (92 or 93 octane).

Lastly, you must also take into consideration the fuel usage rate of many of your marinas vs. the highway stations. Some of the marinas hold fuel for a long time, so it can become contaminated or spoil. I like to buy from the highway stations because they typically have fresh gas.

Boaters at my old marina hated buying fuel at the beginning of the boating season from the marinas b/c that gas sat in the marina's tanks all winter.
True on the less energy per given volume with ethanol laced gasoline vs. non ethanol gasoline.

All gasoline at a given station has the same energy content! The only difference between 87 and 91 is the amount of resistance to detonation.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
1680131990965.png

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
True on the less energy per given volume with ethanol laced gasoline vs. non ethanol gasoline.

All gasoline at a given station has the same energy content! The only difference between 87 and 91 is the amount of resistance to detonation.
Now we move to a non practical/theoretic discussion...

A combustion engine designed for higher octane can extract more power from the higher octane fuel.

Now, if the engine is designed for 87 octane, no difference

How far off am I?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The higher compression engine usually has more fuel, as well as significantly higher cylinder pressure on the compression stroke and exponentially more pressure on the combustion downstroke. So I think your statement is partially true but mainly because of the higher compression ratio, and the resulting much higher state of tune Valve timing, duration, overlap, and especially ignition timing come into play as well.

I’m going to ask Mr Whoopee ( extra points if you know who that is) and see what he has to say.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My Magic 8 Ball and Ouija Board both said: 1. "Yes" I'm going to be screwed this year on fuel costs. 2. "Yes" I will suck it up and get on with it and 3. "Yes" Any day on the water is better than on land. On the 4th question they were both unanimous again when asked "Will my guests help out with any fuel costs for a providing such a glorious day on the water?" The reply - "Don't Count On It".