• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Removing algae from the hull, AND from the jet ports

Pete3024

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello guys,

After my first summer with my SX240 on the lake, I pulled it to find a good build up of algae on the hull, as well as in and around the jet ports/thrusters.
Firstly, any product recommendations for removing from the hull aside from muriatic acid, snobol, Lysol etc?
Secondly, the acidity of the above mentioned products concerns me when it comes to the metal construction of the thrusters. Any alternative products I should be using on those?
Good old elbow grease, soap, and water hasn't put a dent in it!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello guys,

After my first summer with my SX240 on the lake, I pulled it to find a good build up of algae on the hull, as well as in and around the jet ports/thrusters.
Firstly, any product recommendations for removing from the hull aside from muriatic acid, snobol, Lysol etc?
Secondly, the acidity of the above mentioned products concerns me when it comes to the metal construction of the thrusters. Any alternative products I should be using on those?
Good old elbow grease, soap, and water hasn't put a dent in it!
Starbrite Hull Cleaner or any similar product containing oxalic acid.

--

Pete3024

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Starbrite Hull Cleaner or any similar product containing oxalic acid.

--
Will that not tarnish the metal jet thrusters and components though?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Will that not tarnish the metal jet thrusters and components though?
Those products, especially Starbrite, will not turnish SS or aluminum. As far as corrosion - it is a weak acid so yes if you leave it there - not rinsed - it is probabably not great. Not more destructive than salt water but definitely flush after the wash. Much much less corrosive than muriatic acid.

That stuff is wonderful and works like a charm. I think you will be surprised.

Pete3024

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok great, thanks very much. 1 gallon ordered!