• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Removing Keys

Do you remove your keys at the end of the day?

• Yes, and I trailer

Votes: 79 45.7%
  • No, and I trailer

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Yes, and it's in a slip

Votes: 35 20.2%
  • No, and it's in a slip

Votes: 5 2.9%

• Total voters

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Curious how many of you remove your keys on a regular basis.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I voted Yes. We had some punk kids in Fort Walton Beach about 2 years ago that entered some trailered boats, turned the engines on, and walked off. The engines over heated and had to be replaced. These boats were in a fenced in boat yard.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I always take them out and I leave them in my truck, I also have a set I keep hidden in the boat for the time, that I'm sure will happen, I leave the other keys at home.

BMF JK

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I voted Yes. We had some punk kids in Fort Walton Beach about 2 years ago that entered some trailered boats, turned the engines on, and walked off. The engines over heated and had to be replaced. These boats were in a fenced in boat yard.
Wow ! Theft would be one thing , but that's a straight up FU and total disrespect for others hard earned property !

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, and I dry dock. I guess that is close enough to slip.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I take ours out all the time! At home they are hung up with the other car keys. But I go a step farther and take them out every time we stop somewhere to eat. We have a lot of bar/grills on the water and I always keep my keys on me rather than let me stay in the boat.

That's also because we use that lockable storage on the port side. Not everyone needs access to my .380!!

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Seriously, why would anyone leave their keys in a unattended boat? Do you leave the keys in your car, house etc. I don't even leave the keys in the ignition when we are just hanging out in the boat in case someone accidentally starts it.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Keys come off the boat when we come off the water. I always leave them in if we are on anchor or at the sandbar or whatever. I just leave the controls in reverse so the boat can't be started accidentally.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't see any reason to pull keys on a boat stored in my backyard. I shut off the battery switch, so if a vandal wanted to start engines they would have to have some knowledge and go through some effort....removing or partially removing the cover, crawling around inside inbetween the anti pooling poles, trying to start the engine, failing, thinking and looking for battery switch, etc. etc.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I never remove them = Insurance Lol

Westbeach Bum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I leave the keys in the boat glove box when it's in the back yard. Someone would have to go through a bunch of obstacles to get in and start it. When we're anchored I leave the controls out of neutral and the keys in the ignition. I don't want someone looking for keys if something happens to me.

arew~SX230

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did not answer poll, because I do indoor dry stack, but if I get back to the dock before closing I leave then in the boat, otherwise they come home with me.

Not a lawyer but...
Leaving the keys in a boat on the water seems like an attractive nuisance/liability lawsuit waiting to happen.

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just got my boat a few weeks ago, so far I've been taking the key out.

But this reminds me of when I was a kid, my family had a snowmobile camp in the Adirondacks. Back in the 90s (maybe still today) all the Arctic Cat keys where the same, what my dad always had us do at the bars and restaurants was to take the kill switch and the key. Our thought was who carries and extra kill switch around to steal the snowmobile.

Does anyone know; how many different cuts of keys Yamaha uses for ignition? Are they all the same on every ignition?

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
pretty sure all keys are different, or at least have different cuts.. I know the keys from my old 212x do not run my 242LS... how many different cuts they have? who knows.

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
I take my keys off the boat anytime I am not on it. Just a habit I have always done.

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If I have it in a slip while we go grab lunch or something I take them, but when it’s on the trailer I turn the battery switch off and leave the keys in it. Right or wrong, I figure if they are going to take the boat and trailer, weather or not the keys are in it, isn’t going to stop them.

The dry run engines are a whole other thing though......

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I always put them in the cupholder on the dash, they have nothing attached and lay on the bottom. You can't see them and you can drop them in when taking a swig of your drink. Instead of a .380 look into a NAA .22 for boat carry it can go in your shorts unnoticed, and is stainless.The little one05B2D5F5-53A0-4118-B0AB-701A4A686A83.jpeg

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
One never knowns what kids will get into with their curiosity and keys/buttons/levers/switches are very tempting.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I always put them in the cupholder on the dash, they have nothing attached and lay on the bottom. You can't see them and you can drop them in when taking a swig of your drink. Instead of a .380 look into a NAA .22 for boat carry it can go in your shorts unnoticed, and is stainless.The little oneView attachment 89798
I think that 629 would be pretty easy to conceal in a swim suit :)