• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Removing oil pumps on 2001 LS2000

Justin Lockwood

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Hey guys and girls,
I had to rebuild the port engine a couple years ago due to an oil line popping off. Then last year same thing but caute it in time.
Decided to go premix and remove the oil pump system, but the big question: has anyone done this and figured out how to get the small shaft out after removing the pump, before the termination plate goes on?
Thanks!
JL

ddefeo8644

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Don't do it. I did, lost a motor, and re-built the pumps and reinstalled them. I didn't re-jet the carbs. They are designed to burn fuel only. Rejetting might work, but you will hate pre mixing all the time, uses too much oil, smokes a lot, and you'll realize that it runs better w pumps because it uses less at idle and adjusts according to rpms. Expensive lesson I learned about 11 or 12 years ago. Replaced both motors recently, oil pumps were rebuilt (stupid easy) and it runs like factory. Good luck, but I would leave it alone.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Hey guys and girls,
I had to rebuild the port engine a couple years ago due to an oil line popping off. Then last year same thing but caute it in time.
Decided to go premix and remove the oil pump system, but the big question: has anyone done this and figured out how to get the small shaft out after removing the pump, before the termination plate goes on?
Thanks!
JL
I agree the factory system when operating correctly is the way to go.upgrade the lines.
Island racing has a kit for you.
There are kits for elimination of the pump as well with a plate i think to go over?not sure on that one as i didn't do it.
Fyi i have upgraded fuel line on an uncoated nail attached with a zip tie. Have had it since 2011 when i had to rebuild both motors from previous owner. Still holds tight, and can pull harder than i can hold the end of the nail with my hand. No cracking etc and zip tie applied correctly is amazing. I have it sitting in my tool box in the garage as a reminder. Next to one of the worst pistons from that rebuild.premix fuel is great, but the oil pump gets oil to the parts before fuel does. Be sure to install a primer if you go premix.

Side note: other item in my toolbox is a spark plug from my dodge dakota that welded itself together on Appalachian mountains coming back with the exciter from Maryland. Had to do parking lot swap.
Few years later i blew trans towing the ss up from tampa. 4.7 v8 ran strong but didn't le the altitude. The trans was a Mercedes suv trans. Not the beefy ones, small one.

peter upfield

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Don't do it. I did, lost a motor, and re-built the pumps and reinstalled them. I didn't re-jet the carbs. They are designed to burn fuel only. Rejetting might work, but you will hate pre mixing all the time, uses too much oil, smokes a lot, and you'll realize that it runs better w pumps because it uses less at idle and adjusts according to rpms. Expensive lesson I learned about 11 or 12 years ago. Replaced both motors recently, oil pumps were rebuilt (stupid easy) and it runs like factory. Good luck, but I would leave it alone.
How do you know if the oil pumps are working properly? I have one that smokes a lot more than the other. I haven't started it for a while and never saw this before.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can take the flame arrestor cover off and run the boat. You should see oil drip into each of the carbs

Hoppy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Old thead I know, you said you rebuilt the oil pumps? Do you have a sorce for a rebuild kit for the oil pumps or any information on how to rebuild them?