• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Removu S1 gimbal stabilizer for gopro

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just picked this up, it's supposed to be the best in its class. I hope that's true. Seems to be well built and weighted correctly. Too bad (for my son) that they don't make a mount for his GoPro session 2.

IMG_8419.JPG

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey @Ronnie how is this working for you? Looking for something like this.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It is awesome, when I remember to use it. If you want something more convenient and have an iPhone or smart phone consider the DJI Osmo 2 instead. I just got one for a friend / crew member for her b-day and she loves it. I paid just under $200 for it but I needed it ASAP, I think the list price is closer to $140.

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Started doing my research this morning and so far the best I've looked at are the DJI O2 and the Smove Mobile. I like the Smove version because it can accommodate a GoPro as well. The Osmo 2 and GoPro don't really work well from the reviews I have seen. I frequently switch video duties between my GoPro and Samsung Galaxy 8 so I need something that will seamlessly work with both. When I started looking this morning I was thinking of a gimbal for just the GoPro but now I'm thinking its better to have something that works for both.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice work Ronnie, we think alike. I bought the S1 prior to my trip to Australia/Hawaii this past winter. Love it, and the battery life is great.

One think you noted was the lake of support for your Session 2, is it that different than the session mount that comes with the Removu? I didn't realize they actually changed the session that much. The box you posted above shows two different versions of the session listed on the box. That would be Session and Session 5

One thing I have played with is a mount on the handle for my phone as a viewfinder, and also a cold shoe mount for my microphone. But honestly, I have shot more video with the exposed GoPro, than in the waterproof case, so my audio has been much better.

Good luck all!

Shot with the GoPro 4 Black and Removu S1 while taking delivery of our 242 while moving!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Mystic1906 , I think you are on the right path and didn’t realize there was a gimbal out there that could be used with a GoPro and smart phones. They may not be the best at either but at least you have a choice. One thing about the o2 is that it has a big base which is good for stability but not storage. I can’t speak to the other brands but did look at what was on the shelf at the time, I ended up choosing the 02 for my friend based on the video reviews. The O2 is the most mature, the controls are intuitive and it integrates with Iphones almost seamlessly (once you set it up). Lol, I’m about to order one now that I typed up the above. Actually maybe I can pick one up in the way to the water tomorrow.

@biffdotorg , I love the s1. My son has a go pro session but the second generation model. The mount that came with the s1 fits it perfectly. When I wrote the post above I mistakenly thought the s1 did not come with a mount for the session. I have hero 4 silver. Unless I plan to mount the camera to a waverunner (meaning it will get wet so use a waterproof camera, like the session) I prefer to use it with the bp4 with the s1 because it has its own lcd screen. My s1 came with a GoPro 5 Mount/case so I had to buy the gp4 case (which I not water tight) separately. It was under $30 shipped but I recall spending $300 to $400 for the s1, which is/was on the high end for a gimbal so I expected it to include all the mounts available not just for the latest and GoPro. Other than the above the s1 has some cool features that I actually use, you know but for the sake of others, like the wireless remote, the ability to remove the handle and removable/rechargeable Long life batteries. If I was in the market again for a dedicated GoPro gimbal this or its successor (s?) would be it.

Now if they could just make them stronger.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I must have bought the all inclusive bundle as it came with a session mount, GP5/6 mount, GP3/4 mount (frame) and GP3/4 (Waterproof) mount. So I can use all of the above.

I do like the remote, as I can pull the gimbal off and mount it on a long selfie stick and still control the gimbal and camera angle. I have yet to mount it on a vehicle or helmet as most of my mounts are fairly stable. A helmet would be quite the contraption to carry on your head, but the footage would be incredible.

I am careful to remind myself that the gimbal is not waterproof. It is splash proof and rain proof, but I don't think I would mount it on the hood of a waverunner. Many have advised against that in youtube reviews.

Overall the quality is great. Be sure to keep the firmware updates current. They addressed some early issues. But if yours is fairly new, it will never show those issues.

The waterproof case for GP3/4 does mount the cam upside down. But I set my GP4 to autoflip and it's fine. I have a ton of footage from Hawaii with it. So I will have to get editing.

Good luck!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve had mine over a year now and have never update my firmware so I’m missing some patches and upgrades for sure but it still works well enough for me . I’ve mounted it on my boat’s window frame, the front window of my brother’s Jeep when we went drove the rubicon trail and on a bike helmet it’s heavy but the footage is great. Ironically I intentionally left the go pros and drones at home this weekend, figured I would just focus on boating and being in the moment instead always trying to capture it.

Last edited:

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It seems with the bigger boat, and more people to keep track of, there is little time to hold a camera. My family better get on board with sharing some responsibility soon. This new boat is spooking them a bit. But they are enjoying the crap out of it. I would just like to capture more of it.

We will have a long week coming up to get the cam out more.