• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rental Jet Ski's

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My neighbor's nephew traded a truck for a pair of ex-rental ski's, a 2006 Yamaha VX110 Sport and a 2007 Yamaha VX110 Sport. Let's just say they have seen better days. So they hired me to change the oil, oil filters, spark plugs, and do compression tests on both engines. The first ski the oil filter was seized on, every type of filter wrench known to man that I own would not budge it, had to remove a small section of the exhaust for room and had to go old school with a hammer and screw driver through the filter, finally got it off. Finished up the oil change, then tested compression, cylinders 1, 3, & 4 was 150 Psi and cylinder #2 was at 50 Psi which is not good. Installed new plugs, engine runs smooth, told them it's rideable, but the engine needs rebuilt.

Just finished the other ski, same thing with the oil filter being seized, I bet the rental company never did the filters, just partial oil changes. This ski had better 140-145 psi compression in all cylinders, the readings are lower due to me living at 5300 Ft Altitude compared to doing compression tests at sea level. Both of these ski's have over 800 hours on them, it's a testament to Yamaha that being abused, not well maintained the things are still doing well for the most part (except the one ski with 50 Psi in one cylinder) and are still running decent.

The way us JetBoaters here maintain our boats they should last a long time.

Last edited:

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is good to know. Glad I'm anal about my Yamaha.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bet these spark plugs were never changed either.20160928_134144.jpg

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Wow...Surprised those plugs weren't seized in.

What was the value of the truck he traded for them?

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow...Surprised those plugs weren't seized in.

What was the value of the truck he traded for them?
He did a lot of trading for the truck, started with a quad worth about 1200.00, traded that for something, then traded that for something else, then wound up with the truck worth around 4K - then traded for the skis. So even though they are in rough condition he could probably come out ahead a bit.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think he did well for $4k and amazingly well for $1,200!

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry, don't know my skis but did these have the MR1's?
Yes, they are only rated at 110 Hp and I believe limited to 8000 Rpm's.