• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rental truck

Chuckbig

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, I've been searching for a rental truck for a trip from Columbus OH to Holden Beach NC. I currently have a '04 Nissan Titan, king cab (extended, suicide doors). I would like to rent a crew (super crew) cab truck. I'm looking to fit two car seats and the nanny in the back. She's skinny, so don't worry about the width. I just don't want to ride with her feet on my armrest. I've seen Enterprise's cost and am wondering if anyone else knows of any better deals or something with unlimited miles. The trip is about 1300 miles round trip and we plan to do some day trips while down there. Thanks in advance.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Most rental car trucks do not come with receiver hitches. It is really hard to find one that does. Toyota dealers rent trucks and may be your best bet.

Chuckbig

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's awesome, I was thinking that the tundra was going to be my next truck, this would let me really truly test drive it! I'll have to wait till Monday to call. I never thought that dealers would ever do this, how cool!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just dropped off our suburban at the body shop (somebody else hit it and was at fault). Their insurance offered the typical sedan as a replacement and I insisted that They provide an equivalent vehicle that I could tow with since we use the suburban for that purpose. They use Enterprise rentals and found a Ford Expedition that had a hitch and wiring (only a 4 flat plug). I do remember them mentioning unlimited miles, but I could only use it in my state and any adjoining states. So make sure they know where you're planing on taking it.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would look for a Tahoe or suburban to rent, they should have a receiver behind the bumper hatch.

I had trouble finding a rental with a receiver a couple years ago when we had an accident and needed to pull a trailer. No companies would even talk to me about it if they knew I was planning to tow a trailer. I reserved a Tahoe at one location, when I got there they didn't have one (computer system problem), I looked around their lot and saw a Nissan Frontier with a receiver and snatched it up.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's awesome, I was thinking that the tundra was going to be my next truck, this would let me really truly test drive it! I'll have to wait till Monday to call. I never thought that dealers would ever do this, how cool!
This is Toyota's program https://www.toyota.com/rental/?

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Chuckbig

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Toyota says nothing about trailers on their site. Looks like $45/day, unlimited miles! Sent a request for information.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Try Enterprise - the only one I've found with trucks that permit towing (other than U-haul but that's not the same thing...).
The catch? You have to go through the 'commercial' division - tell 'em you need it for work! :)
https://www.enterprisetrucks.com/truckrental/en_US/vehicles.html
Enterprise is the one I got the Frontier from, I told them I needed a receiver for a bike rack, they said I still wasn't allowed to use it even for a bike rack. They told me if I needed to use a trailer hitch at all I had to go through the commercial part, but of course there were none anywhere close to where I was and they didn't do one way rentals like I needed even if there was one close.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wait..... you have a nanny and you're driving?? Send your driver with the truck and boat and fly the family there. :p

How about renting a full size SUV? That will give you the extra leg room and be able to tow the boat.

Chuckbig

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The SUVs typically cost more to rent, not necessarily so with Toyota. I have been debating a new truck, so why not drive the truck that I may want vs an SUV that I don't.
The nanny gets paid while I'm on vacation either way. So if I bring her, I get more boat in the ocean time! That and the pilot is off that week... :wtf:

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The rental thing is a great way to do a long term test drive on potential vehicles to buy. I always try to rent a different car each time. Cam.

greg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Avis has quite a few with tow hitches. Just rented a qx80 Infinity and towed a trailer with it. Put about 4000 miles on it. Hitch is under the cover. Think it is pretty standard on the higher end rentals as they are usually maxed out loaded for resale.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@greg... um, except if you read your rental contract, you're SOL if you have an accident or are otherwise "caught" towing...
Avis: "It is a violation of this paragraph if: a. You use or permit the car to be used: 1) by anyone other than an authorized driver, as defined in paragraph 5; 2) to carry passengers or property for hire; 3) to tow or push anything;" etc.
And "Enterprise Rent-A-Car locations do not allow a hitch or towing of any kind with the rental vehicle. However, towing is available on select pickup trucks at our Enterprise Truck Rental locations. "
I even heard that apparently Herts puts a pin through the hitch to keep you honest!

Chuckbig

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Toyota's social media actually encourages towing or using the vehicle as you would normally. I have been amazed by how cooperative the Toyota rental staff has been. I'm excited to start my trip (still 2.5 weeks out) in the Tundra!

2002expsd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Enterprise commercial is the way to go. We rent full time 2 2017 f250 crew cab 4x4 diesel xlt's for $962 each a month for our business. It's cheaper to do this than to buy or lease a truck. And if you have a break down they cover the towing and bring us a Replacement truck. All maintenance is handled by them too. We tow trailers with them most every day. Be aware that these newer trucks have 2.5" hitches so buy an adapter or get the correct hitch.

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Toyota's social media actually encourages towing or using the vehicle as you would normally. I have been amazed by how cooperative the Toyota rental staff has been. I'm excited to start my trip (still 2.5 weeks out) in the Tundra!
Enjoy the "tow/haul" button on the right side of the steering wheel...;)