• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Renting out your swimming pool

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I didn’t know this always a thing but while stand up paddle boarding this past weekend I met and spent a few hours with a woman who rents out her swimming pool via a broker like Airbnb. I guessed she made $200 a day and was way off. She charges $60 per hour (gets $45 to $50 after the brokers takes its cut) and averages about $400 per day. I also thought it was on the weekends but it turns out it’s 7 days a week.

She has a bathroom that has doors to the house and pool that she allows renters to use (with the house door locked of course). She is usually not home when the pool is rented out. I would not rent my boat out. If I had an RV I may rent it out but if I had a pool with an accessible restroom I would definitely rent it out and may seek to rent someone’s pool before the end of this year if another heat wave is in the forecast. The alternative is to stay at a hotel but here doing so may not get you pool access because of Covid 19 many pools are closed or you have to reserve scarce time at them.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The only concerns that come to mind are liability and property damage. If you have the set up and someone to bring you clients, it sounds like a slam dunk otherwise if you feel comfortable about the risks.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It’s like Airbnb, Or renting out your boat or RV through a broker, insurance covers everything. At least that is what she told me when I raised the same concern.
she also said She can keep more of the fee if she accepts offers from repeat users to avoid the broker but she never accepts because she doesn’t want to deal with the liability and possible license issues.

Last edited:

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would contact an attorney and an insurance agent, and a CPA. Also can't address the security unknowns. I wouldn't consider unless I had no other options and in dire straits financially.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don’t have a pool so any follow up on my part would be pointless. If I did have a pool I would be working to rent it out while I could/if I could even though I’m not strapped financially. I didn’t even know this was a thing until last weekend but think it’s seasonal/situational at best. Private pools probably don’t rent as well in the winter, late fall or early spring and may not rent out much at all after the Covid 19 restrictions are lifted.

For context, the woman that told me about this owns her home free and clear and has a great job with the same company I work for. The extra money allows her to upgrade whatever she is doing whether it’s home improvement, travel, toys for her kid, etc. she told me that the pool rental fees covered all her other expenses for the last two months (e.g. utilities, day care, car payment). Not bad for a 34 year old or anyone IMHO.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don’t have a pool so any follow up on my part would be pointless. If I did have a pool I would be working to rent it out while I could/if I could even though I’m not strapped financially. I didn’t even know this was a thing until last weekend but think it’s seasonal/situational at best. Private pools probably don’t rent as well in the winter, late fall or early spring and may not rent out much at all after the Covid 19 restrictions are lifted.

For context, the woman that told me about this owns her home free and clear and has a great job with the same company I work for. The extra money allows her to upgrade whatever she is doing whether it’s home improvement, travel, toys for her kid, etc. she told me that the pool rental fees covered all her other expenses for the last two months (e.g. utilities, day care, car payment). Not bad for a 34 year old or anyone IMHO.
i get it. it would be about risk to me. having a house free and clear, or other significant assets would only magnify the risk.