• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Repair of ski locker latch

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am amazed that a cheap piece of plastic is going to cost me $40 +shipping. Any idea on how I could attach a washer to the shaft or replace the plastic with a metal washer? Am I better off just replacing the latch assembly?

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I disagree, it's called cheapest parts possible to increase profit. I may have a solution, going to try and see if it works now.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You can order a new latch that has a lock built into it for that price...

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
$1.60 and it works like a champ! Now that I know it works, I'll spend a little more and get stainless steel washers and nut for the long term.

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
$1.60 and it works like a champ! Now that I know it works, I'll spend a little more and get stainless steel washers and nut for the long term.

Do you have any pics you can share? The photos appear not to be showing up. Thanks. Stepped on mine lock a few weekends a go.

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would appreciate more information on this as well. Either the quick/cheap fix that you implemented or a link to a part for replacing the whole latch.

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just ordered this...but went with the locking one. It would be great if someone came out with a combination...thinking luggage here.

Whitecap S-0226WC T-Handle Latch with Keyed Lock - White

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went ahead and picked up three of these. Did the two that hold down the cleanout compartment without any problems. Fitment was perfect. Installed was a cinch. The ski locker is next but I gotta figure out how to get in there. Cannot open it! LOL I guess I will end up just drilling a big enough hole to rotate the latch. The T-handle is broken off so...

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the ski locker....at least on my version you can remove the screws on the hinges by the storage/porta potty area. Ski locker lifts out.

Attached is my new one installed as well.

The only difference I found was the length of the new unit versus old... or rather the position of the clamp. See the pic

Attachments

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good call. Yeah that makes more sense then drilling out the latch! LOL

I am always afraid to remove screws on this thing because some have not threaded back in successfully. I feel like many repairs prior to my ownership were done very casually.