• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Repairing and Overhauling a 2010 242 LS (pic heavy)

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So the the adventure begins. I’m about to start repairing and refitting my boat, I think for the very last time.

I have had her, the “Ship ‘O’ Fools III since 2012,
She currently has about 450 hours on her engines,
And on the last trip out one of her timing chains broke and the driver’s side window shattered. Yeah it was like that but I digress.

It’s time to get her repaired and upgraded/modified.

After getting the engine repaired, windshield and time chain on the operational engine replaced (quotes attached) I plan to redo the upholstery @ , add marine mat protection to the hull @JetBoatPilot , upgrade to the latest @Cobrajet fins and fangs and Re-tint the windows, so far.

Here are some pics that I took today, for the insurance claim on the windshield (just shattered while my back was turned on a 90 degree while at the dock), consider them the before pics. Note the top half of the tower has been removed (so they could get it into the warmth of the shop). Repairs should be completed by February if all the stars align, if they don’t I’m just praying 🙏🏽 for before April so I have time to do the upgrades / modifications.

So the adventure begins. First step, accept that this is expensive and will only get more expensive. I will end this first post with, I have had so much fun, learned so much and made so many memories, just had so many experiences on this boat (She) that I cannot complain about the reliability and costs. I also cannot calculate the return on investment in dollars (and I have a degree in finance). I also cannot imagine letting her wither away on the side of the house or even in a slip. I just moved to within a mile of fast water, now is not the time to go boatless or with a crappy unreliable boat.

EBD0D94A-5B64-4F50-B528-0229AC2937FC.jpegB33F7A1C-11D5-4134-BC66-390E36D6842B.jpeg548D6032-5645-43CE-AEA2-68679CFB1D7C.jpeg7DFBC370-C698-4821-A85D-6FFE40B31849.jpeg9F8F93B5-DC40-4FB4-9598-4FF9EE908AC6.jpeg430E628D-BA44-46B8-94E4-E04F1FD9EB1B.jpeg87F28CA0-FA31-4239-8B2C-FA88B499C3F1.jpeg9635E6D6-C26A-4515-B659-92C21FD24CB5.jpegFB4C9FB3-DCA9-4782-9EAD-99F782996D3C.jpeg7BA5C646-83FB-48B9-A8CA-D6288802EB31.jpeg

Last edited:

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
They windshield is wild! The cost to replace it was crazy considering I bet it is hard to find. The engine work I thought wasn't too bad. She will be looking good again for next year! Have fun and good luck. It is just money so you may as well spend it! HA!

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From the estimate it appears if not for the cylinder scoring it would have been a reasonable repair. Did they show you pictures of it ?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I didn’t ask to see the pics. I know what caused the scoring, I was there, I remember. The theory goes, the valve cover gasket leaked at that cylinder, which allowed hot oil to spray onto the coil causing the coil to fail. Somewhere along the way the spark plug failed/disintegrated (as in the electrode and core fell into the cylinder). Yeah it was another one of those days.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m wondering if i should just upgrade to the thicker chain (yamaha used to sell a kit for $2k ish per bill engine)?

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I see you working to get the motors out of that AR240. That may be your best bet and less expensive in the long run and have you back in the water for the Christmas boat parade.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Agreed as long as the 240 engines don’t require any work to make them operational, other than installation that is.

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agreed as long as the 240 engines don’t require any work to make them operational, other than installation that is.
They should just drop in. You just need the long blocks and your original intake and exhaust will bolt on. May be worth changing the rubber coupler and coupler bearing since they are out but that is it.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m wondering if i should just upgrade to the thicker chain (yamaha used to sell a kit for $2k ish per bill engine)?
I have a really bad case of "while you're in there - itus" so, for me, if you have the engine open, and there is an upgrade to be made. It will never be a better time, or be less expensive to do that upgrade than now.

I would do it.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
First status update:

My brother and I drove up to Washington state and bought what was left of @John Mcpartland ‘s 2017 240 and trailer. John gave us a great deal for “everything in the engine bay” plus the windshields/windows and the trailer.THANK YOU SO MUCH @John Mcpartland. To make things easier for all involved the deal included the hull and whatever was left installed on or in it. I plan to strip the hull, use what I need, store and eventually sell / put up for sale everything else.

As far as the trip up and back, it was 660 miles door to door. We left at 1 on Friday got to the hotel at 1 on Saturday morning, met John at 7 and were back on the road with the boat in tow by 8ish, I walked back through my front door just before 11 on Saturday night. We took my brother’s truck and split the driving duties about evenly. His truck is fully loaded and I loved it, including the steering wheel heater, adjustable rear suspension, etc. we burned through five 25 gallon tanks of fuel averaging 15 mpg on the way up and 11 on the way back but plus a gallon or two of DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) which I just found out about on the trip. Overall it was a great trip and my brother and I got to spend a lot of time bonding with each other. Not one argument, we had not done this in years. if we came back without the boat or any of its parts I would not have regretted it.

next steps: develop a plan to borrow, buy or make a gantry to swap the engines out and into the 2010 242 LS. I currently plan to replace both engines and possibly the related ECMs as well as the timing chain on the operating engine and keep it as a spare. I will likely have the non operating engine repaired (parts have already been shipped) and will offer it and possibly the related ecm for sale. I will start stripping the donor boat today.

i need to start looking into how to dispose of the hull once it’s stripped. Hopefully CA state has an environmentally friendly boat disposal program to reduce the likelihood that people simply abandon their boats on the side of the road or worse scuttle them boats in the river. If not I will chop the hull up and put it into the trash weekly and/or haul it to the dump.

the engines in the donor boat would turn over but not start so I compression checked each cylinder and checked the oil in each engine before closing the deal. I plan to stabilize the fuel in the tank and add fogging oil into each cylinder soon, just waiting for the sun to rise and stores to open.
1892E21E-0D52-4313-9DA5-634A1488CDF4.jpeg1A56E7D4-C0A5-40B2-80F9-B03FB4DCD8CB.jpegimage.jpg

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’ll be looking forward to your re fit story and pics! How many hours are on the donor boat engines?

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll share your pain and passion vicariously as I just braved the morning dew, unbolted the port engine on my AR210 and slid the engine back to replace the mid bearing and install the new Jet Pumps... did the starboard yesterday :banghead:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@FSH 210 Just over 200 hours on the donor boat engines and just under 500 hours on my original engines.

@84rzv500r, I salute you and anyone who has to move or remove an engine in a yamaha boat. You especially since at least you have taken a lot of actions already in reference to you engine swap project. I’m still in the planning stages and thinks it’s too cold for me to even go out and take a closer look at the donor boat. It was 28 degrees at this time yesterday in Vancouver when I was compression testing each engine. This morning here in discovery bay it’s 34 degrees warmer but not warm enough to motivate me to get out of bed.

Last edited:

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Great find. What was wrong with the boat to have it sold like that?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The donor boat hit something in the water a few weeks ago. The collision ripped a good part of the keel away as well as a lot of the hull under/near the fuel tank.
3853BB55-06E2-4964-9A3E-F081B1EE3FCC.png

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
11/21/22 update: I got both motors on the donor boat to run. As it turns out both had water saturated Air filters and the port engine had water contaminated oil on its dip stick (which was not the case when I picked the boat up). I suspect both of engines have water contaminated oil in them so I will start the process of cycling the oil in each engine until I feel that all of the contaminated oil is gone. Also going to run a lot of sea foam into each motor and fuel tank.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
11/21/22 update: I got both motors on the donor boat to run. As it turns out both had water saturated Air filters and the port engine had water contaminated oil on its dip stick (which was not the case when I picked the boat up). I suspect both of engines have water contaminated oil in them so I will start the process of cycling the oil in each engine until I feel that all of the contaminated oil is gone. Also going to run a lot of sea foam into each motor and fuel tank.
Is there a drain to do a complete oil change like the MR1 engine? If so I’d run the engines with seafoam in the oil, drain, refill and check to see if it needs to be changed again.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there a drain to do a complete oil change like the MR1 engine? If so I’d run the engines with seafoam in the oil, drain, refill and check to see if it needs to be changed again.
i made quick and dirty last drop oil set up for my MR-1's for $25 each (buried in my build link), and i think RIVA makes one for the 1.8's if you dont wanna roll your own...

now the milwaukee 18V transfer pump i Use was a few $ more but its the cats ass.. make sure you use some silicone vacuum hose on the end of what ever you stick in the tank to keep from damaging the screen in the bottom of the MR-1 tank...