• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replace factory tires or no?

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2017, 21' Shorelander.

I have BARELY towed this thing, less than 1000 miles. My INDOOR storage is 1 mile from the ramp. 250 miles from home, and its made that trip (one way) 2 times.
So, I am going to do the Bimini trip this July. Its 1200 miles each way. I just towed the boat home for last minute prep stuff. No issues with the tires so far.

Question 1
Am I ok to just roll with the stock tires? (I have the spare that came with and another spare from camper which is same size)

Question 2
If Q#1 is a definite NO then how are these tires? (Dropping from 215/75D14 to 205/75R14) Affordable and I can swap them to the camper after the trip, because it needs new rims/tires anyway.
TaskMaster Provider ST205/75R14 14X6 5X4.5 Silver Mod Assembly (Tire and Wheel) 816456022851 | eBay

As I get close I am having to decide what I NEED vs what I WANT. Money is not 100% unlimited :)

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
First question: What is the manufacture date in your current tires? It should be a four digit number, first two are the week (1-52), second two are the year. They could easily be 3yrs old already....

Switching from 215s to 205s will have a slightly less weight capacity. You will need to verify, but chances are the 215s will fit the camper without any clearance issues. That will also give you a slightly higher weight capacity for the camper as well...

I’m not that familiar with the taskmaster tires. I completely understand the financial side, but personally I would look at either the Carlisle HDs or GY Endurance.

I bought a set of the HDs last year at my local Discount Tire, and they price matched Walmart’s online price.

Why does the camper need new rims? Are they starting to leak along the bead due to age?

Don’t forget the spare also!!!

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Camper is older, rims rusty looking, going to sell camper soon, so totally cosmetic. I will check on the dates tomorrow.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I have BARELY towed this thing, less than 1000 miles. My INDOOR storage is 1 mile from the ramp. 250 miles from home, and its made that trip (one way) 2 times.
So, I am going to do the Bimini trip this July. Its 1200 miles each way. I just towed the boat home for last minute prep stuff. No issues with the tires so far.

Question 1
Am I ok to just roll with the stock tires? (I have the spare that came with and another spare from camper which is same size)

Question 2
If Q#1 is a definite NO then how are these tires? (Dropping from 215/75D14 to 205/75R14) Affordable and I can swap them to the camper after the trip, because it needs new rims/tires anyway.
TaskMaster Provider ST205/75R14 14X6 5X4.5 Silver Mod Assembly (Tire and Wheel) 816456022851 | eBay

As I get close I am having to decide what I NEED vs what I WANT. Money is not 100% unlimited :)
I would get new tires, they are not super expensive, also would balance those, not everyone does but it does make a difference.
We just towed across the country to Glen Canyon, with the radials that Carlyle replaced last year - zero issues. I was pushing it as we had a late start, lets just say it was a hard drive at 80+. the tires, wheels and hubs were warm not hot to touch the entire trip. The trailer is well leveled, tires at max PSI. I would not be comfortable to do this with the ply tires, those would be getting stupid hot at those speeds based on my prevuious experience due to their high rolling resistance that is hugely different.

--

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Camper is older, rims rusty looking, going to sell camper soon, so totally cosmetic. I will check on the dates tomorrow.
What style rim is currently on the boat?

If you’re planning on selling the camper, what about just mounting the current boat rims and tires on the camper to sell, and keep the new rims and tires for the boat?

Eventually you will need new tires anyway on the boat trailer.

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Boat rims are the nice chrome ones. The RIGHT thing to do is buy new tires for those rims, but time/cost is easier to buy a set with rims that arent as nice.

I am leaning towards getting these ebay ones for the trip to Florida, then after returning I can put the oem ones back on for another year or two od 10 miles a year driving, then I can just do the tires then... IDK :)

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Current OEM tires date code of 0117, so more than 2 years old. Purchased boat in 0717, so that date code is good for that.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you are stored indoors out of the sun I would expect the tires to still be OK unless there are visible signs of wear or cracking. UV damage and time sitting on one spot are the killer for trailer tires, not mileage unless you tow very frequently and long distances. I've thought about pulling tires in the winter and putting the trailer on blocks but have never done it.

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have unfortunately had to leave it sitting in one spot too long as we did not get to use the boat as much as I would like last 2 years. Tires seemed to tow OK this weekend on the way bringing boat home. I really do not want to deal with flats on the way to Florida, but $300 buys lots of OTHER fun stuff.

decisions decisions

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Understand wanting to keep the chrome rims.

Regardless of what path you decide to go, have a fun and safe trip!!!

And please post pics!!!

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Question 1

Question 2

I also have a 2017 Shoreland'r trailer still rolling with the stock tires. Have about 6000 miles on them, including 2200 miles roundtrip to Florida, and going to run them down to Florida and back again this year. Not remotely worried about using the stock bias-ply tires and I even already have 5 brand new radials sitting in a stack ready to go on the trailer any time.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought 16 tires last year including four each Goodyear Endurance for the boat and travel trailer. That said, I think your stock tires (after inspection for damage) will be fine for the trip and (sadly) likely in better condition than tires on 9 out of 10 trailers you see on the highway. Pot holes, nails, sidewall scuffs and manufacturing flaws can also blow up brand new tires. So while I TOTALLY like to play it safe too, don’t think new tires will make you immune or your 2 year old tires are time bombs. Most (except Endurance) have a speed rating of 65 mph, so any faster too long on a hot day and you tempt design limits.

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
65-68 is my typical towing speed. I think I am good there, my truck really doesn't like to tow faster. At least my MPGs dont!

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well, I decided to stick with stock, Amazon had the tires available for $52 delivered, so now I have 2 spares that are exact matches. Should be good!

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Well, I decided to stick with stock, Amazon had the tires available for $52 delivered, so now I have 2 spares that are exact matches. Should be good!
Safe travels!!!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also have a 2017 Shoreland'r trailer still rolling with the stock tires. Have about 6000 miles on them, including 2200 miles roundtrip to Florida, and going to run them down to Florida and back again this year. Not remotely worried about using the stock bias-ply tires and I even already have 5 brand new radials sitting in a stack ready to go on the trailer any time.
Coming from you, this got my attention!
I used to swear by ply tires, and arguably those are better if launching over bad ramps etc.
The turning point for me was few years back with my little 190 which I used to just push around the garage and my driveway. It was hard with ply tires (fully inflated etc.) and when I switched to radials one day - I just couldn;t believe the difference, it seemed like I acquired some superpowers pushing the boat on the trailer around the garage, with no effort.
Then I read some more and it seems that the rolling resistance of ply and LT tires is usually much higher - which made sense.
Given I'm primarily concerned with longish tows nowadays, I tend to stick with the radials.

But again, the ply tires are considered BETTER fit for rough roads, those are tractor tire, essentially, after all!

Great discussion, as always!

--

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@swatski You bring up an interesting point that I had not really noticed from earlier in the discussion. The lower rolling resistance of radials. With a 2500 mile tow in front of me, I wonder if the radial upgrade might pay for itself in improved gas mileage. Hmmmm

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Coming from you, this got my attention!
I used to swear by ply tires, and arguably those are better if launching over bad ramps etc.
The turning point for me was few years back with my little 190 which I used to just push around the garage and my driveway. It was hard with ply tires (fully inflated etc.) and when I switched to radials one day - I just couldn;t believe the difference, it seemed like I acquired some superpowers pushing the boat on the trailer around the garage, with no effort.
Then I read some more and it seems that the rolling resistance of ply and LT tires is usually much higher - which made sense.
Given I'm primarily concerned with longish tows nowadays, I tend to stick with the radials.

But again, the ply tires are considered BETTER fit for rough roads, those are tractor tire, essentially, after all!

Great discussion, as always!

--
I don't necessarily have a particular love for bias-ply tires, but I guess I don't have enough of a problem with them to remove perfectly good ones either. Radials are definitely a more modern, arguably better design and most likelly more efficient, it's just not enough of an improvement, IMO. for me to even bother mounting and installing them. Just for background, I've been towing all kinds and sizes of trailers with both bias-ply and radial tires for 34 years now with an average of 2500 miles towed per year. Some years more, some years less. I've logged 6000 in the last two years. Doesn't make me an expert or anything, just sharing my personal experiences, YMMV.
I agree, as always, good discussion.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski You bring up an interesting point that I had not really noticed from earlier in the discussion. The lower rolling resistance of radials. With a 2500 mile tow in front of me, I wonder if the radial upgrade might pay for itself in improved gas mileage. Hmmmm
My guess would be probably not, those fuel saving calculations never really seem to add up at the end, lol.
ANd you are not pushing speed limits, there are huge differences in fuel mileage related to speed, anything north of 75-80mph gets ridiculous.

--