• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

replacement helm part #

Weebs74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a lot of play in the steering on my 2007 AR230. I want to replace the mechanicals at the helm, and am wondering if there were any big design changes between 2006 and 2007. I always seem to find parts that are good for up to the 2006 model year, and can't seem to find a lot of listings for 2007. Are they really different parts...if so, has anyone found a reliable supplier for said parts??

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
These boats have a good deal of play in them, I am not sure after you eliminate the cable stretch, that you will have any abnormal slop. A service manual will tell you the allowable tolerances.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I second that your steering components are probably fine. The amount of play is typically 2" to both sides from the top center of the steering wheel. You'll need someone to watch the nozzles while you turn the wheel.

Or...... Are you talking about play in the steering while driving? If this is the case then you should read up on installing some Cobra Jet Steering fins.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am renewing an old thread here.. my boat has alot of slop in the steering wheel.. i can watch the mechanical movements behind the helm while turning the wheel. The wheel turns a lot before any of the cable hardware moves. I have read @Bruce legendary write up about the bushings causing a lot of the play but when tracking down my issues the wheel turns a whole lot before anything tries to move the cables. The only thing i can think of is play in the steering gear. Any thoughts?

Weebs74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I replace the steering cables and am glad I did nothing with the helm. The cables alone fixed so much of the steering issues. I also added the fins from Jet boat pilot

Dan W. Kestle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
PWC
I replace the steering cables and am glad I did nothing with the helm. The cables alone fixed so much of the steering issues. I also added the fins from Jet boat pilot
How hard of a job was that? Did you do it yourself?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Dan W. Kestle
most report it being not difficult just time consuming, there's instructions with pictures in our FAQ tab the top of the page, If you pull the fuel cover be aware it takes a special bit (#4 Roberson) that is usually not available at your local stores (it's also in the FAQ) and many have reported some bolts are glued/secured in.

If you pull the floor, is your fuel sender working properly, lot's of 07's don't and we also have a FAQ for that,

also, make sure the lock nuts to the cables behind the steering wheel haven't just worked there way loose causing slop in your steering.

Welcome aboard! Glad you found us,