• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacement liner for impeller housing

Vernon Harrison

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have to replace a impeller housing due to corrosion after 5 years of use. 2012 ax 190
It is the only issue I have had with the boat

Has any one used the aftermarket housing with the replaceable press in liner?

I'm torn with going OEM or replaceable.

Any thoughts?

One housing every 5 yrs of use. Not too bad I guess.

Last edited:

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Following. I know Riva makes a full stainless steel housing, no liner. That would prevent corrosion. I also understand you can get a housing that uses a plastic liner? That would also prevent galvanic corrosion and I like the idea of plastic. $40 to replace and less chance of damaging the impeller. Looking forward to seeing what the experts say.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have considered plastic liners and have seen them as low as $75 for a housing for the plastic liners.

My guess is that a plastic liner could be a little more efficient while in optimal condition.

I often have trashed caught in the pump that would damage a plastic liner so I expect I would change them frequently.

My primary objection to changing to a plastic liner is that if I damaged a plastic liner while in Bimini I would be in a terrible situation.

I believe your liner part is down to $105 from Yamaha.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The delrin liners make the boat a bit more quiet, a big plus, and do not cost much to replace (but work). However they don't last long.
Here is the delrinwear ring /insert (right next to OEM

Priced by Impros

--

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Swatski, thanks for sharing your experience! When you say the plastic liner doesn't last long, how long is that? 3 months? Annual change? Also, how big a job is replacing the liner? A couple of hours? All day or more? Thanks!

I boat almost exclusively in fresh water. (The Columbia river.) Beaching or anchoring in shallow water with a sandy bottom is the main reason I went with a jet. Anyways, some sand is going to go through the pump on a regular basis.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Swatski, thanks for sharing your experience! When you say the plastic liner doesn't last long, how long is that? 3 months? Annual change? Also, how big a job is replacing the liner? A couple of hours? All day or more? Thanks!

I boat almost exclusively in fresh water. (The Columbia river.) Beaching or anchoring in shallow water with a sandy bottom is the main reason I went with a jet. Anyways, some sand is going to go through the pump on a regular basis.
It's not a bad job. I would say 1-2 hrs max including all the prep. Need to take the wear ring segment out. The delrin insert will last for months or more, it really is about a "delicate" as the OEM impellers. I found cutting the old damaged inserts with a chisel was the quickest way to remove those, I used to freeze the new insert and push it in with a mallet (covered by a piece of plywood). I forgot how @Cobra Jet Steering LLC does it, he may have a better method.

--

• Informative
Reactions: Gym

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have no experience with the black liner @swatski showed but I do used the white liners from S B T for several years and for hundreds of hours I have no issues with them at all no cavitation no ringing on the trailer remember the noise from the pump is the high spots hitting the edge of the impeller due to swelling of the liners caused by dissimilar metal corrosion building up between the liner and the housingfix post on how to deal The issue with the ringing is the stainless liner against the impeller edges will wear on those edges making the gap between the impeller and the rest of the liner wider and this contributes to cavitation obviously .
As for the liners I use I do not have any complaints about them lasting and I am brutal on them .
I run shallow water most of the time grounding out on occasion.
The liners I use I press in using a press with blocks under the housing so as the new liner is being installed the old one is being pushed out at the same time.
I place a flat plate of steel on top of the new liner to keep the pressure even on everything as I do the process. One more thing about bad metal liners is that they can put a lot of excess drag on your starter when the boat has been sitting for a while and the high spots grew just enough to cause the engine to turn over slow or in some cases the engine is stuck completely.
This resistance is not good for the starter, so just imagine every ring sound you hear when you run the engines on the trailer is your impeller hitting a high spot on your pump liner.