• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacement speakers for AR240

Ctheodores

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just took delivery of a 2020 AR240. I am looking to replace the stock speakers and eventually adding two more.

Are the stocks easily replaceable and sound better hooked up to the stock head unit ? I want to put in an amp a little later down the road.

Also any suggestions for some good speakers ? I want to do this in a few separate purchases to make it more affordable.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just took delivery of a 2020 AR240. I am looking to replace the stock speakers and eventually adding two more.

Are the stocks easily replaceable and sound better hooked up to the stock head unit ? I want to put in an amp a little later down the road.

Also any suggestions for some good speakers ? I want to do this in a few separate purchases to make it more affordable.
The thing about adding stereo equipment to a boat is don't get cheap on what you are buying. Get good stuff right off the bat. Otherwise you will just end up replacing it. You can run 6 speakers off the factory head unit but you won't notice that big of a difference. I would recommend getting a good 6 channel amp and 6 good speakers either wet sounds or I personally recommend JL audio my self. If you just replace your 6 1/2 stock speakers With 6 1/2 after market you might regret it. I have been through 3 or 4 different add ons to my system and I'm still not a 100% happy with it even after 14 speakers 3 amps and 3 batteries there's always Room to be louder. All depends on what you're looking for. A 6 channel amp with 6 good speakers will make a world of difference from the stock set up. A not break the bank doing it.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wet sounds would be #1 by most. Look here they have new used referb. Outlet - Wet Sounds - Used - Page 1 - Creative Audio

I put a full Rockford set up in my last Yamaha they sounded great and, you can find some good deals
In my opinion wet sounds as he different sound than JL audio. Are they louder yes are they clearer no in my personal opinion. I have been next to a guy in Florida that had a full wet sounds set up and it was hella loud. But it was almost ear piercing loud and not very clear at all. And I have never been a big fan of buying something that someone else blew up in was factory repared. Again just my personal opinion.

Ctheodores

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought the Jl’s (4) and plan on getting an amp shortly after (Just bought the boat so I need to spread these purchases out). Amp will come next. I’m assuming I can utilize the same speaker wire that’s from stock for the 4 JL 650’s correct ?

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just bought the Jl’s (4) and plan on getting an amp shortly after (Just bought the boat so I need to spread these purchases out). Amp will come next. I’m assuming I can utilize the same speaker wire that’s from stock for the 4 JL 650’s correct ?
Yup same wires work just fine. You down in FL?

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
In my opinion wet sounds as he different sound than JL audio. Are they louder yes are they clearer no in my personal opinion. I have been next to a guy in Florida that had a full wet sounds set up and it was hella loud. But it was almost ear piercing loud and not very clear at all. And I have never been a big fan of buying something that someone else blew up in was factory repared. Again just my personal opinion.
Yes I would say I do Like the sound of JL better but my boat had the WS and replacing all to JL, Well my wife would kill me.
The referb is usually a repack. There is not a lot of re-coning going on in the 6.5" speaker line. Also with WS the refeb/ B-stock is from the OEM wake boat over run. Brand X (OEM) orders enough WS for 1000 boats but only sells 400. The left over stock gets sold as refeb/ B-stock to keep overhead low.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Just remember a $300 set of JLs run off a low power amp /Head unit at high volumes will blow. Just as if you gave them double the RMS wattage. The issue is that the smaller amp at high volumes will introduce distortion even if you think you can not hear it. Distortion = heat on the voice coil.
I'm not saying that you will go up in smoke. Just don't Max that volume knob out be smart.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes I would say I do Like the sound of JL better but my boat had the WS and replacing all to JL, Well my wife would kill me.
The referb is usually a repack. There is not a lot of re-coning going on in the 6.5" speaker line. Also with WS the refeb/ B-stock is from the OEM wake boat over run. Brand X (OEM) orders enough WS for 1000 boats but only sells 400. The left over stock gets sold as refeb/ B-stock to keep overhead low.
I got ya. But for my ear its hard to beat JL. Yes you got to pay for that brand names but (knock on wood) nothing on my system has missed a beat. Literally.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just remember a $300 set of JLs run off a low power amp /Head unit at high volumes will blow. Just as if you gave them double the RMS wattage. The issue is that the smaller amp at high volumes will introduce distortion even if you think you can not hear it. Distortion = heat on the voice coil.
I'm not saying that you will go up in smoke. Just don't Max that volume knob out be smart.
Agreed. With 14 speakes 3 amps i never go above 70-75% volume and my amp gains are set to a reasonable level to protect the speakers.

Ctheodores

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What amp would you guys suggest to power 4-6 of these JL’s. That’s next on my list to buy. And thanks for the heads up with the volume until the purchase is made.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

If you’re looking affordable I love my kickers. Way louder than stock and don’t break the bank. Came with a 4 year warranty to top it off.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think the stock speakers are fine but need an external amp to power them correctly. That said, I’m in th process of replacing my entire system and went with 6 kickers with integrated LEDs 2 8”s and 4 6.5”s. I also got new 1” tweeters for the tower and a 10” subwoofer (all Alpine) powered by 4 kicker amps. Right around $2k including a fusion 670 and 3 remotes. I loooked at JL and WS amps but quickly realized that i can’t afford/justify the prices I found for such amps.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What amp would you guys suggest to power 4-6 of these JL’s. That’s next on my list to buy. And thanks for the heads up with the volume until the purchase is made.
I’d go with two of these. 65 watts rms for up to 8 channels in all and at half the cost.

DBCB80A3-5DC6-4827-9230-8A797E583E62.png

Benjamin Bailey

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ronnie,
I bought two of these a couple years ago, do you run them? Mine get HOT like burn your finger HOT and then shut off for safety. They do a great job powering my wetsounds and tower speakers but I was going to switch to a JL Amp.

I’d go with two of these. 65 watts rms for up to 8 channels in all and at half the cost.

View attachment 113372

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Benjamin Bailey , I’ve only run mine in the driveway so far but did so for about 8 hours straight yesterday and didn’t have any problems or excessive heat. Mine barely got warm at all. knock on wood. All of the recent reviews on Crutchfield’s site are good and I bought the latest version available a few months ago so I hope they resolved the over heat issues in the version I got.