• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing a broken shift gate cable??

supab7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Good evening fellow jet boaters. I am wondering if anyone out there can enlighten me about the shift gate cable. Have a 2018 FSH ( just 1 month out of warranty) and the cable is broken about 5 or so inches from the shift gate. Anyone know if I will simply be able to change from the rear of the hull to the shift gate or does it pass through and is much more involved? Thanks in advance

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A picture would be helpful
You will most likely have to replace the entire cable but it's not a terribly difficult job
There are a couple threads in the faq about the process

supab7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I will absolutely take a pic once I get it out the water. Wouldn't crank to get it over to lift and took a process of elimination to identify that it had snapped down there. Thanks.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Scottintexas is correct. Replace from the shifter to the gate. Not difficult. It's a couple of hours of bonding with your boat.

supab7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here is Pic. I just got it on the trailer today. sorry. Have to excuse the rough nature of this bad boy. Just saved it from someone that only used twice in salt water and then put up in marina for last 10 months.

Attachments

supab7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Any idea whether the cable is still the same as it was for the 2016 year 190? Have a yamaha # -F2A-U149C-00-00

Papa

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You can cross reference the cable number off the old one and get it cheaper than from Yamaha. Can't access the file on my old computer to see who I ordered from, but saved a boat load of $. Pun intended.
Papa

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is Pic. I just got it on the trailer today. sorry. Have to excuse the rough nature of this bad boy. Just saved it from someone that only used twice in salt water and then put up in marina for last 10 months.
Yech. That cables not just broken, it's corroded. I can't see your zinks very well but they may not be doing thair job. I would take a close look at your steering cables next.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

supab7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yech. That cables not just broken, it's corroded. I can't see your zinks very well but they may not be doing thair job. I would take a close look at your steering cables next.
Thanks. I plan on taking everything from the hull back off and cleaning, sealing around the housing, at that time I should have a solid idea how the steering cables are.

supab7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wow...I think that previous owner might be fibbing a bit about how much the boat was used in salt water.
Had a total of 21 hrs on it, but by the looks of it I believe they didn't even rinse the boat off before it went into the marina for winter storage. SMH. Which blows my mind. Thanks for being willing to share your wisdom with a rookie like myself.