• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing bilge pump

Navipro

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi Guys,
I have a quick question for those of you who replaced the bilge pump on your boat
I have 2008 AR230 and my bilge pump is dead. I want to replace it with the one with the float. My issue is that original sits in recess made in engine compartment and the hole is only 4 inches big. Has anyone attempted to enlarge the hole?
Also how is the original pump attached to the hull? I cannot see it very well. Did they epoxy it to the hull?
Thanks in advance

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board,

Did you check your bilge pump outside of the boat to confirm it's dead and not a fuse or switch?

Don't bother enlarging the hole it doesn't gain you anything,

I would suggest replacing the cycling bilge if it is in fact not working and installing a second float switch bilge as back up, you can never have to much bilge ability,

Also, check out the link in my signature below for issues with your model boat, if you haven't replaced the scupper you may need that pump sooner than you think, it would also give you the ability to mount a pump in the transom area,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
and check out the FAQ tab at the top of the page, it's got lots of good info including a bilge pump topic,

Navipro

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi Scott,
I have looked though a lot of pages on this board and it is amazing how much info is here. Yesterday I have ordered the scupper valve from replacementboatparts, so I will be opening up that area as well. I am playing with idea of putting second pump in there as well especially that boat spends 3 month in the lake every summer.
My bilge pump is dead. It started blowing the fuse and when I have removed it from the boat and turned it on it got so hot that I could not hold it in hand and then blue the fuse again. and yes, I have turned the impeller by hand to make sure it is not stuck.
I personally hate these bilge pumps that are water sensing. They seem to drain the battery extremely fast. That is why I was thinking of putting ones with the built in switch. But I need a larger hole for it.
Why are you saying that it would not do me any good enlarging the hole? Is there some sideribs?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
if you're going to leave it in the water without shore power then float switches are definitely better,

the hole won't really gain you much more, once you pull the cleanout cover tray you'll see the back of the engine compartment,

Some members have found their boat docked in the water actually collects water forward in the hull, they place ballast on the swimdeck while docked to force water back to the bilge,

I almost wonder if installing a bilge forward in the ski locker and cutting a hole in the floor there would be a good solution ?? @zipper @Jgorm

Navipro

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting. I may put 2 bilge pumps in with float switches. I really like your idea with the front of the boat. I do see water in the front deck area almost all the time, so it clearly slops that way, so the there must be water under the floor.
I guess I was trying to avoid drilling holes in the hull for the new bilge in the true back, but I can probably connect it to the existing hose.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Scottintexas @Navipro As Scott said, I put about 350# of water ballast, in a bag, on the upper swim platform under the cover. It keeps the rainwater from pooling in the bow forward of the ski locker. Works great. That weight tips the deck enough to make the water flow back to the scupper and out vs. Pooling forward and overwhelming the ski locker gasket and leaking down into the bilge. I talk about it here. https://jetboaters.net/threads/rain-water-pools-at-front-of-bow-floor-while-on-the-water.14264/#post-246353
IMG_20170706_150000852_HDR.jpg

agannole93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not to revive an old thread, but having an issue with my bilge pump this season. 2009 232LS, it'll kick on with the switch and trip the breaker within about 5 seconds. My guess is something stuck or bad pump so the load is tripping due to an overheat. My question are any of the Rule pumps a direct replacement to the blue mount, or is there a specific version to fit the existing mount? I may install a 2nd with a float and wire straight to battery when I replace the scupper, but right now only looking to replace/upgrade the stock.