• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing my bunks

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i noticed one of my forward bunks looked odd so i decided to pull and replace them all anyway. Was surprised on how much rot i found on a 4 year old trailer 20200523_132045.jpg20200523_133225.jpg

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
i noticed one of my forward bunks looked odd so i decided to pull and replace them all anyway. Was surprised on how much rot i found on a 4 year old trailer View attachment 119927View attachment 119928
I guess I’m doing this in the next couple of days, as well. Mine is only a year old and I found a broke bunk this weekend. I patched it with a 2x4. Today, I saw that all 6 screws that I ran through the patch into the bunk pulled out like they never even touched the bunk. Crazy!!

What’s the best method for replacing? I see you took the whole mount off the trailer. I was wondering if it was easier to just take off 1 bolt that provides the swivel?

How many screws then go into the board? How long? Stainless or those funky coated deck screws that you use for treated boards?

Tks!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I guess I’m doing this in the next couple of days, as well. Mine is only a year old and I found a broke bunk this weekend. I patched it with a 2x4. Today, I saw that all 6 screws that I ran through the patch into the bunk pulled out like they never even touched the bunk. Crazy!!

What’s the best method for replacing? I see you took the whole mount off the trailer. I was wondering if it was easier to just take off 1 bolt that provides the swivel?

How many screws then go into the board? How long? Stainless or those funky coated deck screws that you use for treated boards?

Tks!
How long of staples do you suggest?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used 2x6x8 foot fronts are exactly 8 foot. Rears are 5 foot but i made mine longer 6.3 and got them within 1/2 inch of transom.

I used 1/2 inch stainless staples

Some bunks had the carpet bunched up making it tough to get at the pivot bolt. So some i took the bracket with it.

The brackets on each board only have one screw on each side about 1.25 long

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you do this with the boat on the trailer ?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No i have 4 boat stands

Sean R

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I just replaced my bunks two weeks ago one was good the other was rotting thru. When I went back to my marine another guy was replacing his. We almost have the same boat 2017ar190 and 2017 fsh190.

RJB242

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No i have 4 boat stands
What size boat do you have? And do you ha e a picture of it on the stands? I would like to put mine on stands to repair bunks and clean up the hull.
Thanks

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 24 foot boat. And sorry i do not have a picture of it on the stands

RJB242

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Darn. I have a 24 footer as well. What type of stands do you have and where did you place them?
Thanks i appreciate any help/info.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its kind of hard to explain where to put them . I would search YouTube for boat removal with stands to show how it is done.
I lower the bow as low as is can go with the trailer tongue jack then place the stern stands then crank up the tongue crank high, place one keel stand.
Then the rest is tricky cause when you can pull the trailer forward some you need to place the second keel stand behind the crossmembers and alternate the two keel stands as you pull the trailer out. Its a little time consuming but effective

RJB242

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I gotcha. Yeah i have read the 2 back corners after lowering the trailer all the way. But heard of other ppl using two more flat stands up by where the windshield is as 2 front corners.
One bunk is definitely broken but all the rest have some serious carpet wear and the boat is only a 2016 with like 40 hrs.

RJB242

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Its kind of hard to explain where to put them . I would search YouTube for boat removal with stands to show how it is done.
Update got the new bunks done and installed. But after taking the boat out this weekend and making sure the boat was perfectly centered on the trailer i found out my one bunk wasn't even touching the boat. Neutron can you happen to snap a picture of how you bunks are bolted up or spaced. Im hoping i just accidentally moved the spacing...

Attachments

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I replaced both forward bunks on my 2017 trailer a month ago because one of them broke. I was surprised to see how absolutely rotten the 2 boards were after only 3 years and the boat being stored in my garage the whole time. I used bought a pressure treated 2x8 and then painted it with the same Behr deck sealant used on my deck. I wrapped it in a thick marine bunk carpet and it should be good to go for some time!

scriz

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I skipped the carpet and went with the plastic bunk covers. They don't hold the water like the carpet which is what causes the rot. They cost a bit more on the front end, but they should last longer and save me time and effort, which is sometimes better than money.