• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing speakers & adding an amp

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For now, I just want to replace the 4 factory speakers in my 17' AR240 with some JL mx650 speakers. My question is, are they a direct fit replacement? Unscrew the factory ones and unplug then install the jl's?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They should fit in the holes but you may have to drill new screw holes. If you are going that far go ahead and add an amp to power them just the speaker replacement will likely not leave you satisfied in the improvement.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They should fit in the holes but you may have to drill new screw holes. If you are going that far go ahead and add an amp to power them just the speaker replacement will likely not leave you satisfied in the improvement.
You are exactly right. There will be a template with the JLs for screwholes. tape the template around the old hole and drill you new pilot holes. Can't remember the drill bit size, but it needs to be fairly exact as to not crack the gel coat. I drilled the hole and took a larger bit and ran in reverse to score the gelcoat around the screwhole to give it some stress relief.

Agreed that you will not fully appreciate the speakers unless they are powered well, but it will certainly be an upgrade to stock speakers regardless. I power my 2 pair with the JL M400/4 .

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Definitely going to add an amp in the future. Everyone of my vehicles have a system in them. I've installed my fare share of systems in my day. At this moment, my budget is $500. I bought a new pool home in Aug., new boat 2 weeks ago., and a bunch of stuff for the boat. Gotta keep momma happy and start spreading out my purchases lol. I can hear the factory speakers well when I'm under way and they sound pretty full. But when I turn them up half to 3/4 volume they start getting fuzzy. The new jl's should hold high volume with no fuzz at all, then when i out an amp i should get at least double the volume

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Definitely going to add an amp in the future. Everyone of my vehicles have a system in them. I've installed my fare share of systems in my day. At this moment, my budget is $500. I bought a new pool home in Aug., new boat 2 weeks ago., and a bunch of stuff for the boat. Gotta keep momma happy and start spreading out my purchases lol. I can hear the factory speakers well when I'm under way and they sound pretty full. But when I turn them up half to 3/4 volume they start getting fuzzy. The new jl's should hold high volume with no fuzz at all, then when i out an amp i should get at least double the volume
I upgraded my 2016 stock speakers to Polk and the improvement is minimal until I added an amp.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm a believer in the JL amps. I ran both my 600/6 and 400/4 at pretty much max volume for a couple of hours in the closed helm compartment and they were just warm to the touch. My previous kicker could fry and egg and would sometimes overheat and shut off.

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went with Polk amps and they have been great so far. I have had the music cranked for 4+ hours straight without issue.

upload_2017-6-16_10-14-47.png

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, I am looking to replace the (4) Cockpit speakers in my 14' AR240 and add (2) more mid cabin. . . . . . Would prefer not to have to recut speaker holes in for the 4 existing speakers. Would the JL mx650's mentioned above be a direct replacement? Also, what AMP would you recommend to power them?

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, I am looking to replace the (4) Cockpit speakers in my 14' AR240 and add (2) more mid cabin. . . . . . Would prefer not to have to recut speaker holes in for the 4 existing speakers. Would the JL mx650's mentioned above be a direct replacement? Also, what AMP would you recommend to power them?
I can't speak for the JL's but Polks are a direct fit. This is what I have...

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-DB651-Certified-Speakers/dp/B000P0PF9G/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_107_bs_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NM65798FF5C98F38HSRM

Last edited:

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@0627Devildog You will likely have to drill some holes for the screws...that is all. If you can operate a drill...you can do this! The old holes will be covered by the speaker bezel....and the new holes will too...so even if you chip the gel coat a little...no one but you will ever know!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Careful. You have a wrong link. You need DB651s (6.5", with a 5" hole).

And yes, those are a direct replacement. However Yamaha uses child labor to mount OEM crap speakers so you will likely discover you have more than 4 holes drilled already. You will also discover that none is quite right, so you will drill again - not a biggie.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will also say, at current prices I would look very hard at JL MX650s.

--

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Careful. You have a wrong link. You need DB651s (6.5", with a 5" hole).

And yes, those are a direct replacement. However Yamaha uses child labor to mount OEM crap speakers so you will likely discover you have more than 4 holes drilled already. You will also discover that none is quite right, so you will drill again - not a biggie.

--
Good catch, I update the link.

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agreed....or buy Polks off someone here that is replacing theirs with JLs!
While the JLs are probably great I can't imagine they are 4 times better as that is about how much more they are.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
While the JLs are probably great I can't imagine they are 4 times better as that is about how much more they are.
JLs I bought are $199 a pair vs Polks at $70 a pair? So less than 3 times the price....but at least twice as good.....I'm not saying they are cheap....but I have both in my boat...and the JLs rock over the Polks.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my DBs.
The MXs are current about $100 a pair, at least if you buy 2 pairs, so more like two fold.
I have never heard those side by side with DBs and I doubt the difference in sound quality is two fold (everything else being equal) but I have been wrong before, lol.

--